O2 offering existing iPhone customers free iPhone 3G upgrades

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameshopkins View Post

This is pretty fair considering. What will happen to the old iPhone, have to send it back to Apple/o2?

Anyone like to guess how much the PAYG will cost? 8gb - £269?

Well it would be nice to think they stick to Mr Jobs statement when he said the iPhone will cost no more than $199 worldwide. This translates to a smidgen over £100 at today's rates. Mind you I'll eat hay with a donkey the day that happens.

Hopefully O2 will see the long term picture and keep the iPhone price down on pay-as-you-go plans. They'd get a minimum of £250-£300 per year from me. That begs the question that if i'd spend that much on pay as you go with O2, then why not go on contract. The simple reason is i like freedom of choice.

The word lock-in kind of makes me nervous. I don't care what the Apple survey said when 56% of people thought iPhone was too expensive. They obviously asked the wrong people. It's a combination of the two.

Expensive iPhone + average over priced long term contract = low iPhone sales.

Let's hope their listening. Still encouraging news non-the-less.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Hopefully O2 will see the long term picture and keep the iPhone price down on pay-as-you-go plans.

One rumour is that the Pay & Go price will be more than £99 but less than £200, and O2 staff may know the actual price as soon as next week. Less than £200 guarantees that it will be my next phone
  • Reply 23 of 30
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

How exactly can they drop the price of the contracts AND subsidise the phone?

That makes no sense at all.

If they are paying Apple $200 to subsidise the phone they they need to get that back on the contracts, so they will not get cheaper.

I think you misunderstand the OP's post. He is clearly demanding something for nothing, and here you are talking dollars and sense. No way he'll understand what you mean
  • Reply 24 of 30
    zeasarzeasar Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMachine View Post

One rumour is that the Pay & Go price will be more than £99 but less than £200, and O2 staff may know the actual price as soon as next week. Less than £200 guarantees that it will be my next phone

erm... where did u get that rumor? I would be getting it if its under £200 for sure.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    inc VAT or not?
  • Reply 26 of 30
    maxx66maxx66 Posts: 41member
    I'm guessing that to upgrade from a £45 a month contract to get a new 16gb iPhone I'll be paying £59 for the new handset? Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I'm really hoping that on the main o2 iphone page where it says:

'Upgrade early to 3G - Get the new 3G iPhone before 11th Oct. 2008'

That the date is just a typo, and that that doesn't mean that current users will be the last ones eligible for new handsets.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Glad the european's are excited about all their choices. While we sit here in the "home of the free" stuck with a single option, 2yr contract. Something went really wrong along the way and somehow my iPhone is to blame.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMachine View Post

Seems unlikely to me but if so that would suit me nicely. My usage varies a lot month to month so PAYG is a better fit. I'm usually within a wifi network so unlimited data is pointless and their Web bolt-on is only £7.50 a month if I need it.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

inc VAT or not?

If those are the prices they're gong to quote, inc.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

If those are the prices they're gong to quote, inc.

They are the official prices on the O2 web site and they include VAT