Apple says Steve Jobs feeling a little under the weather recently

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has responded to concerns spreading across internet blogs regarding the health of Steve Jobs after photos taken Monday at the WWDC conference in San Francisco show him looking a little more frail than usual.

Specifically, the Wall Street Journal points to a headline on the Drudge Report that read "Concern over Apple Steve Jobs’s physical appearance…,” which linked to photos of the chief executive without further comment.

Responding to questions on the matter Tuesday, a spokesperson for the Cupertino-based electronics maker told the financial paper that Jobs has been plagued by a "common bug" in recent weeks, but that he felt it essential that he make good on delivering the opening keynote address at the annual Apple developer conference and personally take the wraps off the company's new 3G iPhone.

Jobs's physical health has been an on-again, off-again topic of discussion ever since he was diagnosed with a rare form of pancreatic cancer four years ago, which he beat after undergoing a successful surgery.

Investors and Apple loyalists pay particular attention to the chief executive's appearance because they consider him to be irreplaceable to the company he rescued from the doldrums a little over ten years ago. Not helping matters are reports that Jobs hid his battle with cancer for a full nine months before informing shareholders and anyone outside his most intimate of inner circles.

Photo taken of Steve Jobs Monday | Copyright REUTERS/Kimberly White..

Last year, financial publication Barron's suggested that Jobs may be worth more to Apple than any other chief executive in the world, estimating that Apple's market cap would instantly bleed $20 billion in value should he abruptly be forced to abandon his leadership role at the company.

The last time Apple provided an update on Jobs's health was nearly two years ago when similar concerns began to mount following his appearance at the 2006 Apple developers conference. At the time, the company's VP of worldwide corporate communications Katie Cotton downplayed the concerns, saying Jobs's health was "robust."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 224
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I think Jobs is going to have to inform the media every time he catches cold now, but frankly, the response from Apple leaves me a little tepid.
  • Reply 2 of 224
    cosmic68cosmic68 Posts: 13member
    I thought he looked poorly. I wish him the very best and hope he's ok. He's a cool geezer.
  • Reply 3 of 224
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    Everyone I know here in los angeles has a cold right now. Its going around the west coast cities. I know I for one look like major ASS when I get a bad cold.
  • Reply 4 of 224
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    I am confident that if anything were to happen to him, Apple is in good hands. But he does look a little gaunt.
  • Reply 5 of 224
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    oh gosh he looks terrible!
  • Reply 6 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McHuman View Post

Everyone I know here in los angeles has a cold right now. Its going around the west coast cities. I know I for one look like major ASS when I get a bad cold.

LOL.

if it's just a cold, i'm sure he'll be fine again soon.
  • Reply 7 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McHuman View Post

And I look like four-star general ass when I get sick.
  • Reply 8 of 224
    quite thin, check the hips and thighs, looks like he weighs 130-140 pounds (I am 5'8'' and weigh about 155 and he is a lot thinner than I); anorexic looking, or possibly chemo; but, as upbeat as ever.......also noticed a warmer praise of his team than ever before (coincidence?)
  • Reply 9 of 224
    No matter how much they deny it, I'm concerned..until Teh Steve is seen in public again at a healthy body weight, anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 224
    teonycteonyc Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No matter how much they deny it, I'm concerned..until Teh Steve is seen in public again at a healthy body weight, anyway.

While watching the stream of the Keynote, I noticed how gaunt he looked. He also just seemed frail overall, the way he moved, etc.

Ever since he was treated for cancer, Apple has been trotting out other officers in these presentations, trying to plan for a transition. It seemed especially true this time when Jobs did less than half of the Keynote.

While I hope whatever is ailing him (be it transient or serious) is resolved soon.
  • Reply 11 of 224
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by makesense View Post

quite thin, check the hips and thighs, looks like he weighs 130-140 pounds (I am 5'8'' and weigh about 155 and he is a lot thinner than I); anorexic looking, or possibly chemo; but, as upbeat as ever.......also noticed a warmer praise of his team than ever before (coincidence?)

i spotted this at the time, it did make me wonder.
  • Reply 12 of 224
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Ok, Steve's health does not appear to be robust. I thought that he looked frail in 2006 after having cancer, which is to be expected, but my jaw dropped when I saw him last night. You can see his bones through the turtleneck.

I've also noticed more and more that Steve is having his tech guys up on stage to discuss the products, as if to transition us slowly away from Steve being the keynote leader.

I may be completely wrong, (I hope I am) but I don't think I am. I took care of a friend with cancer for 4 years and there's a huge similarity between how Steve looks now and how my friend did.
  • Reply 13 of 224
    riverskyriversky Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Ok, Steve's health does not appear to be robust. I thought that he looked frail in 2006 after having cancer, which is to be expected, but my jaw dropped when I saw him last night. You can see his bones through the turtleneck.

I've also noticed more and more that Steve is having his tech guys up on stage to discuss the products, as if to transition us slowly away from Steve being the keynote leader.

I may be completely wrong, (I hope I am) but I don't think I am. I took care of a friend with cancer for 4 years and there's a huge similarity between how Steve looks now and how my friend did.

I am a little concerned. He looked very bad on stage, more than how he looked it was how he moved around.

The second issue is last week remember Apple moved a bunch of execs around and added some new top guys. This says to me they are preparing for a transition and wan the people in place.

Finally if something were to happen Apple's stock will tank big time.

Best wishes to Steve if indeed it is something more serious.

p.s. also he hid his bout with cancer the first time!
  • Reply 14 of 224
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

He's a vegan. He'll never reach a healthy body weight...

The day Jobs leaves the industry it will become a much less interesting place, though. On the other hand, maybe it would do his health some good to spend the summer on the beach.
  • Reply 15 of 224
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    My wife is shocked at how he looks. I too had a friend with pancreatic cancer, and matters are touchy, with the end a complete shocker when and if it arrives. I wish Jobs the best, but none of us live forever. No matter when his end, he's lived one helluva a life!
  • Reply 16 of 224
    Cold my ass.

You don't lose 20-30 pounds and look like the death is staring in your face over a cold.

The man looks gaunt--even anorexic in appearance. That is not just a cold.
  • Reply 17 of 224
    While Steve is noticeably thinner than at Macworld 2007, I actually noticed that he was healthier looking yesterday than at either Macworld 2008 or the March 6 SDK event (He didn't sport his beard stubble scruff yesterday that helps camouflage a bit).

I hate that Apple feels pressured to comment , "oh, yeah... you know, he actually WAS feeling under the weather..." Steve has always possessed outstanding vibrancy of ideas, and an energy that helps distract us from the fact that we all age, grow old, and eventually die. I trust that Steve stays with us as long as possible, and I know he will squeeze every ounce of creativity out of himself for us while he is. I should accomplish as much by the time I'm only 53.

But still--from now on, every time I get a cold, I'm going to call in to work and say, "and you know.. I'm not getting any younger..."

• Reply 18 of 224
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Yeah, I noticed yesterday that in the photos he looked really, REALLY skinny.

The problem is, there's no way Apple or even Steve can really reassure anyone about his health, because almost any explanation they can give will sound like spin, something Apple/Steve is famous for. The only way to dispel the worrying over his health is for him to make a public appearance at a healthy body weight.

He should quietly take an extended vacation and/or greatly reduce his day-to-day duties and focus almost entirely on his health issues, if he's not doing so already. I really, really hope it isn't cancer-related. Hope ya get better soon, Steve. \

• Reply 19 of 224
    freestatefreestate Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

Cold my ass.

For those of you in other places - there has been a really bad cold going around CA for the last 4-6 months. The cold last 1 month+. I had it for nearly two months and lost 10 lbs. If you have a lowered immunity and get this cold its even worse (i.e. a cancer survivor).

Why do people even listen to Drudge? I dont trust him for news yet alone diagnostics of peoples health via a picture. Who does he think he is Tom DeLay?

Just and FYI the same cold George Michael had durring his American Idol performance that made people start speculating about his health as well.
  • Reply 20 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

He's a vegan. He'll never reach a healthy body weight...

The day Jobs leaves the industry it will become a much less interesting place, though. On the other hand, maybe it would do his health some good to spend the summer on the beach.

I resent that remark about vegan's never reaching a healthy body weight. I have been a vegan since I was 13 (am 24 now) and I have always maintained an average body weight for a person my height. Veganism does not make one look gaunt. Illness does. Veganism is not an illness.

I wish Steve the best. He has done me proud and we are better on earth for having come in contact with his creations.

By the way, Steve is not even a vegan (or so wikipedia posits).