would this feature be posible in OS X?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Would it be posible to have it so I could click say on the file menu and drag down and pull the who menu down and kind of turn it into a window? So in Photoshop if you use say the filters a lot you could drag it down and then have quick acess to it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    that's a good idea... isn't that what is meant by "menu tearing"?

somehow this thread could have fit well inside teh "features we all hopefor" --(paraphrase)
  • Reply 2 of 10
    actually, this feature is called "tear-off menus" and was present in Mac OS X Server 1.x.

I'll dig up a picture...
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Okay, here's an old <a href="http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/9811/mac-os-x-server.shtml"; target="_blank">AppleInsider look at OSX Server</a> tha has these pictures:

[quote]Sources did applaud some drastic interface enhancements in the tested build of Mac OS X Server, like tear-off menus. Each menu can be torn off individually and will float on the screen as a floating menu, not a floating window. Multiple menus can be torn off at the same time, as can sub-menus; and if you are really into it, you can tear of the entire menu bar into a "File Manager" menu. The feature seems a little quirky as you switch between app lications where each has their menus torn off, but in reality the feature is performing naturally.<hr></blockquote>

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 10
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    They should have kept that.. along with the GUI.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by Sinewave:

<strong>They should have kept that.. along with the GUI. </strong><hr></blockquote>

yes they should have kept that!!! But hell no they should have not kept that GUI!!! Aqua Kicks Ass!!

Apple needs to add more of these unequ OS X features. they would be a great thing for Windows users to look at and say "this is not just a new pretty face, it is a new OS"
  • Reply 6 of 10
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    K.I.S.S., at least at first. That was the original approach to Aqua anyway. I can only assume that more features like this will be placed on Aqua as it gets more richly featured (but hopefully not more complicated).
  • Reply 7 of 10
    If you liked OS9's tear off application pallet you'd love those.

I think they are ok. I would want to be able to turn them off though. I can see some users accidentally pulling off menus and wondering what TF is going on.

maybe Apple will add it as an option at some point. It certainly would not be impossible.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by Ventral:

<strong>If you liked OS9's tear off application pallet you'd love those.

I think they are ok. I would want to be able to turn them off though. I can see some users accidentally pulling off menus and wondering what TF is going on.

maybe Apple will add it as an option at some point. It certainly would not be impossible.</strong><hr></blockquote>

if they did this they would need to make it so you have to hold like option to tear it off. not just pull it down. that would piss everyone off!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Technically, I think that Cocoa apps could do it off the bat if it were left in as an included call. It was obviously that way in the days of OpenStep and OS X Server 1.0, so it's one call away for at least some apps.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    [quote] if they did this they would need to make it so you have to hold like option to tear it off. not just pull it down. that would piss everyone off!

<hr></blockquote>

No, it could just be a radio button in the General control pane. "Allow Tear-Off Menus"