What Does An Unlocked iPhone Do For Me?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Sorry about my ignorance on this issue, but I was just curious about having an unlocked iPhone.

Currently, I use US Cellular where I live (SE Wisconsin) due to it's very good coverage.

I really wish that I could use an iPhone, mostly because of the built-in iPod.

If I were to get an iPhone, and unlock it, which features will be usable, and which ones will not?

Of course, maybe in about 24 hours, I'll be able to use one on my network! (Fingers are crossed.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Everything except visual-voicemail Mick. In fact for now a jailbroken-iPhone is more powerful than a regular one dude!
  • Reply 2 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It's possibly that the new iPhone may not be available immediately, but we'll soon see.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Aren't they a CDMA provider?... In that case, an iPhone (even unlocked) couldn't possibly work for you since it's a GSM device... In that case, you might as well switch to AT&T.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Aren't they a CDMA provider?... In that case, an iPhone (even unlocked) couldn't possibly work for you since it's a GSM device... In that case, you might as well switch to AT&T.

You're right. I guess that I'll be switching soon - unless Apple rolls out a CDMA version tomorrow...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Have you ever bought any AT&T service? If you have you will be avoiding AT&T like the plague and running towards the first person who can unlock your iphone so it works with any other carrier.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Unlocked phones will probably start going for more $$$ on eBay.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Unlocked phones will probably start going for more $$$ on eBay.

You can buy them right now on there at pretty reasonable prices:

http://shop.ebay.com/items/Cell-Phon..._udhiZQQ_udloZ
  • Reply 8 of 10
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

Sorry about my ignorance on this issue, but I was just curious about having an unlocked iPhone.

Currently, I use US Cellular where I live (SE Wisconsin) due to it's very good coverage.

I really wish that I could use an iPhone, mostly because of the built-in iPod.

If I were to get an iPhone, and unlock it, which features will be usable, and which ones will not?

Of course, maybe in about 24 hours, I'll be able to use one on my network! (Fingers are crossed.)

You might get more answers in the iPhone forum!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

You might get more answers in the iPhone forum!

I thought about posting it there, but, I was looking to use it without the phone, which would technically make it an iPod.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You can buy them right now on there at pretty reasonable prices:

http://shop.ebay.com/items/Cell-Phon..._udhiZQQ_udloZ

Apparently, some of these eBayers don't get it... Stylus? WTH?