10.5.X on 12" Powerbook (PPC 867 mHZ, 640 RAM)?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Anyone have experience with the above configuration? I am still running 10.3.9 and have waited on upgrading to get some input on 10.4 vs 10.5.

I understand that this is the minimum configuration for 10.5, and "minimum configuration" can translate into "barely useable".

Thanks so much in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chuckster View Post

Anyone have experience with the above configuration? I am still running 10.3.9 and have waited on upgrading to get some input on 10.4 vs 10.5.

I understand that this is the minimum configuration for 10.5, and "minimum configuration" can translate into "barely useable".

Thanks so much in advance.

I'd be interested in this as well. My fiancée has the exact same configuration. She has 10.4.11 working fine. I have held off so far on going to 10.5 as I heard it is the same or faster at some things but actually slower at others, on such an "old" machine. If I update soon I'll let you know. I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this too.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    I have this configuration too and I decided better to leave it as is and buy a new Macbook instead. Guess I was right. I maximized the RAM (4 GB) and although I cannot complain, I still have many page outs and I experience some slowdowns because of that from time to time. Now for example, after 10 days since last reboot and relatively light use, I have already 1 GB of VM files.

Leopard is very RAM hungry. The 12" Powerbook cannot go beyond 1.152 GB of memory, just a little bit more than what the MB had as default and which was really quickly taken over.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    chucksterchuckster Posts: 56member
    Thanks to both above.

Others with first hand experience?

As a back-up plan, any thoughts on where to get inexpensive old copies of 10.4?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chuckster View Post

As a back-up plan, any thoughts on where to get inexpensive old copies of 10.4?

Your best, generic guess is eBay.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I'm using this exact configuration now. It works fine.

Of course, the machine is no match for newer hardware...but that is to be expected. If there are any specific tasks that you'd like tested, let me know. I use the laptop for client presentations (Keynote), surfing, and pages. Considering that the PowerBook recently turned five, I think it is kicking ass on a regular basis. This little laptop has traveled the country, presented to big name firms, and keeps on tickin'.

What's up w/this "barely usable" BS?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    chucksterchuckster Posts: 56member
    Keda - good to know. I don't do anything too intensive (perhaps the rare iMovie or Garageband tune).

I agree... these things are built like tanks. Mine fell off the coffee table once and the case was bent. So... I bent it back, and it works fine.

If it just had USB 2.0...

Thanks again.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I had that configuration. It worked okay. I made the decision to upgrade the ram vs. buying new for now and am happy with that. I now have 1.12 GB. The ram did make a difference. I almost went crazy and updated to a faster hard drive which always makes a difference.

The 12" form factor for me is just more important than the speed I would gain with an intel machine. That will eventually change but for now I am a very happy 10.5.3 user.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    I have it running on a 1GHz 12in PowerBook with 1.25 GB RAM and it is by no means snappy, but it is usable.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanMacMan View Post

I have it running on a 1GHz 12in PowerBook with 1.25 GB RAM and it is by no means snappy, but it is usable.

How much free hard drive space?