Cna you set user premitions in OS X yet?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Why dose OS X not have the user premtions control panel like oS 9 had? Were I can say this user can read CD's but can not mess with the control panels. I whant that back!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    Users who are not administrators only have privileges to alter system preferences that are personal to them - ones that will not have system wide impact. The system makes sense the way it is. If you as the admin do not want other users to access particular applications, then take those apps out of the main Applications folder. And of course you can limit user access to individual folders and files with the Info pane.

Finally, concerning media access, perhaps there could be an admin option to turn CD drive access off for other users. However, I don't really see the need for that feature myself. Moreover, Anyone with direct access to hardware can still circumvent regular security, especially if a Mac OS 9 CD comes into play. To make security more robust, we would need options to lock drives at startup, which maybe a desired feature for some.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Michaelm8000:

<strong>Were I can say this user can </strong>[snip]<strong> can not mess with the control panels.</strong><hr></blockquote>Each user has his/her own control panel settings that apply only when that user is logged in (except for the monitor settings, which I find rather odd).

The important stuff such as Login, Energy Saver, Network, Startup Disk, and Users all have the lock on them so unauthorized users can not make changes.

[edit] Oops... I didn't see your post there Big Mac. Oh well, at least I confirmed your post...

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 9
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Isn't there a privileges setting for each file and folder in the Show Info dialog?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    [quote] Moreover, Anyone with direct access to hardware can still circumvent regular security, especially if a Mac OS 9 CD comes into play. To make security more robust, we would need options to lock drives at startup, which maybe a desired feature for some.

<hr></blockquote>

I think this is possible with the Open Firmware Lock on the OS 10.1 upgrade CD.

I've recently set up a couple of limited users on my mac. I created a group called "limited" and moved these user to it. For most apps I just removed permissions for "everybody". for the few that are not in the staff group I just changed them to staff.

The only thing that I can't do is guarantee no access to the internet. But it is hard for them to find out how to get there. They have to enable the menu status icon in the modem setup panel. That should have an admin lock on it... And of course with a DSL/cable it would be harder.

db
  • Reply 5 of 9
    hekalhekal Posts: 117member
    type: man chmod

<strong>Why dose OS X not have the user premtions control panel like oS 9 had? Were I can say this user can read CD's but can not mess with the control panels. I whant that back!</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 6 of 9
    hekalhekal Posts: 117member
    And I "whant" you to use OmniWeb and the system spellchecker. Both are about equally likely to happen!

<strong>Why dose OS X not have the user premtions control panel like oS 9 had? Were I can say this user can read CD's but can not mess with the control panels. I whant that back!</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 7 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>Each user has his/her own control panel settings that apply only when that user is logged in (except for the monitor settings, which I find rather odd).

The important stuff such as Login, Energy Saver, Network, Startup Disk, and Users all have the lock on them so unauthorized users can not make changes.

[edit] Oops... I didn't see your post there Big Mac. Oh well, at least I confirmed your post...

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

but if you are and admin somtimes you do not whant a user to be able to mess with their settings.

I run a copmuter lab at school for my school news paper and year book. there are 3 users, Admin, Newspaper, and Yearbook. Most of these people useing the computer do not know shit about computers and they get messed up in 2 sec beacuse people change all the settings. Also people fight over desktop pics and stuff like that.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I think Apple should make OS X Server the standard OS X so that we'd have the software for doing all that type of stuff. I'm not certain what it includes, but it has to be better than X's stuff.

CD <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/codemaster/"; target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/codemaster/</a>;
  • Reply 9 of 9
    [quote]

And I "whant" you to use OmniWeb and the system spellchecker. Both are about equally likely to happen!

<hr></blockquote>

Actually Apple will probably implement a more feature rich user administration interface at some point. Schools need it.