Apple says Steve Jobs feeling a little under the weather recently

Comments

• Reply 101 of 224
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

He just has a little cold. Being Vegan also keeps you very thin. Apple probably has him checked every freaking week to make sure he's okay. I'd rather see Jobs thin, than a fat sweaty, red faced Ballmer.

It's said this is a common misunderstanding. He's not a vegan.
  • Reply 102 of 224
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m26e4u View Post

LOL check out the similarities

Steve Jobs = Montgomery Burns

Scott Forstall = Smithers

Phil Schiller = Barney

I can actually see Forstall having a Malibu Stacey collection, can't you?
  • Reply 103 of 224
    Maybe Steve, the Vegan, ate one of those unfortunate tomatoes?

bb
  • Reply 104 of 224
    mocdocmocdoc Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BabyBlue View Post

Maybe Steve, the Vegan, ate one of those unfortunate tomatoes?

bb

Perhaps the lung cancer shown in the right lung on the PET scan in the presentation was taken from a pet scan of Jobs.
  • Reply 105 of 224
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    John Sculley! How you been? Always wondered what happened to you. Thinking about making a come back? Don't hold your breath...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

It's time for another leader, this time with a university education, to emerge and do so much better than Steve Jobs could ever do.

(SNIP)

After nearly 11 years as a CEO, it's time for Steve Jobs to go and sail in the sunset. Bye, bye, Steve.

• Reply 106 of 224
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

but why the antibiotics thing??? as we know, there's no treatment against viruses... no matter if a simple cold or a stomach virus... only bacterial infections can be treated with antibiotics... but not viruses...

One of the flus that went around this year had a much higher pneumonia rate as your typical flu virus. (Among children with that strain it was like 30%+ developing pneumonia.) My son got it and the pedeatrician considered putting him on "preventive antibiotics" but decided to wait a couple days. He didn't end up needing it, but he's generally a very healthy boy.

I can imagine a cancer survivor going on antibiotics to prevent pneumonia in the case of any sort of serious chest cold, so this doesn't really surprise me.
  • Reply 107 of 224
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Dont worry, it's just the Steve Job's Air.

Introducing our thinest ever Jobs..
  • Reply 108 of 224
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Not funny guys.
  • Reply 109 of 224
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:

It's time for another leader, this time with a university education, to emerge and do so much better than Steve Jobs could ever do:

The only problem is that you should realize, universities educate employees, workers, followers, not leaders.

Leadership has nothing to do with formal education. Actually, WSJ has published a well done study, showing there is no relationship between Ivy League education and being the CEO for fortune 500. Most of them came from regular schools, with no MBA.

That doesn't mean education is not important. After all, the society needs good employees, who can execute the vision set by leaders.
  • Reply 110 of 224
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

The only problem is that you should realize, universities educate employees, workers, followers, not leaders.

Leadership has nothing to do with formal education. Actually, WSJ has published a well done study, showing there is no relationship between Ivy League education and being the CEO for fortune 500. Most of them came from regular schools, with no MBA.

That doesn't mean education is not important. After all, the society needs good employees, who can execute the vision set by leaders.

Thoroughly agree. Some of the brightest brains in the world taught themselves their profession. University educated employees have difficulty 'thinking different' IMO
  • Reply 111 of 224
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

To keep on theme, the only "fishy" thing about the announcement IMO was the reference to antibiotics. You don't take antibiotics for a cold, flu, etc. unless you are an idiot and Steve Jobs is no idiot. That alone, if true, is a tad suspicious.

False: "You don't take antibiotics for a cold, flu..."

True: "You shouldn't take antibiotics for a cold, flu..."

Qualifying the statement with "...unless you are an idiot and Steve Jobs is no idiot" is a fallacious appeal to emotion and is dishonest argumentation. The fact of the matter is that Americans routinely ask for and receive antibiotics for viral illnesses. It's terrible practice, and it does little more than increase bacterial resistance. But it happens all the time. I'm a doctor and I can't tell you how often I hear a patient ask for an antibiotic when they get a cold. I'm a neurologist, so the onus isn't on me. I tell them it's not a great idea. They thank me and then tell me they'll ask their primary. In someone with an illness lasting a month, even a conscientious doctor might prescribe antibiotics, worried that a superinfection has taken place, or worried that the lack of resolution suggests a non-viral cause (I don't know what the symptoms of this 1+ month long illness are, but I could see someone deciding to treat for Lyme or Salmonella or any number of things you could get in the quasi-rural mega-estates).

I'd just like to add my voice to all the others who say they wish Steve Jobs well. Whether he's healthy now (as we all hope he is) or not, none of us are forever. The only thing we know for sure is that none of us are getting out of here alive. One day, he'll be gone. And on that day, the world will be a much, much poorer place. But yet, it will be so much richer for his having been here. And frankly, that's the best legacy any of us can hope for.
  • Reply 112 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Thoroughly agree. Some of the brightest brains in the world taught themselves their profession. University educated employees have difficulty 'thinking different' IMO

Steve went from a garage workshop to a billionaire at the helm of a huge corporation. He has some pretty good know-how that isn't necessarily taught in schools.

Steve was the Fortune Magazine Businessman of the Year 2007, and Apple is ranked 103 on the list of 500.

Not bad for a guy without a college education.
  • Reply 113 of 224
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

I didn't see anyone else notice the the profit margin on a £$200 iPhone is pretty slim

observe, mes amis, a comment by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld July 03, 2007

Apple's iPhone profit margin greater than 50 percent

Tear-down analysis by iSuppli finds that $333 out of the $599 price for the 8GB iPhone is profit for Apple, a margin of nearly 56 percent

Even if they sell 20 million that drastic a drop in price is an oddity, as the profit margin is pretty thin; $299 I could see, even $249, but $199? They'll be selling out at that price and not making a lot of money

why?

Jeez Louise, everyone and his uncle knows that's a subsidized price. You pay $199 but AT&T throws in a few more bucks down Apple's way. Some estimates say at least $200. So Apple won't exactly be losing it's shirt on each sale.
  • Reply 114 of 224
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member
    Well, black does make you look thinner and the lighting was not really good either. I say the man needs a break. Dude, take the jet to Hawaii and enjoy the sun, surf and have some fun with the family. You deserve it! My best to Jobs.

Mr. Scott
  • Reply 115 of 224
    GOD no I pray to god that his cancer is not back

it dont look so but perhaps hes taking radiotherapy

We all pray for you OH Great Steve Jobs and he more MacDonalds.lol
  • Reply 116 of 224
    There are several SJ keynotes podcasts in the iTunes store (earliest Jan 2007).

He seemed a little frail at Monday's preso, but not too different from Jan 2007.

I have observed SJ since 1979 (he was 20, I think) and seen him make quite a few live demos and presos.

He has always been thin, but his dominant "presence" monopolized your attention.

To me, that "presence" was less robust than I've seen from him.

He did give one of the presenters an atta-boy raised fist gesture that seemed the old Steve!

If Steve were really ill, i think that it would have shown in the way the other Apple execs made their presos-- I saw no signs of anything like that!

It may be as they say, that he was just feeling poorly.
  • Reply 117 of 224
    celemourncelemourn Posts: 769member
    Quote:

If you are to believe the word of an official spokesperson, you are a greater fool than I thought.

This reminds me of former Soviet rulers who would die from "a common cold".

By the way, Steve Jobs has accomplished any mission the Apple board of directors may have given him. After Mac OS X, version 10.5 Leopard, the Intel transition, the iPod, and the iPhone, Steve Jobs has accomplished all that he could ever do for Apple in nearly 11 years, an unusually long tenure for any CEO.

It's time for another leader, this time with a university education, to emerge and do so much better than Steve Jobs could ever do:

- make Apple designs to be practical, instead of anorexic, e.g. allow user replaceable batteries on iPods and iPhones, place a desktop CPU in the iMac, a desktop computer, etc.;

- make Apple products competitive in the market place by cutting down prices by $300 to $500 on computers;

- licence Mac OS X to all major computer manufacturers with an obligation to install it on a minimum of 25% of the computers they sell;

- cut down executive compensation to a maximum of $15 millions per year and abolish the billion dollar stock option programs created for Steve Jobs and his Vice-Presidents who will no longer have to keep silent about Steve Jobs' many character and health failings.

Doing just that would relaunch Apple and allow it to reach a 30% market share.

After nearly 11 years as a CEO, it's time for Steve Jobs to go and sail in the sunset. Bye, bye, Steve.

... Yeah dude, you keep smoking that stuff you got there. I'm sure someone else has already pointed this out (haven't finished the thread yet) but every single one of your points, except the last, are exactly the kind of thing that dug Apple into its grave in the 80s. John Skulley anyone? (typo intentional). Oh, and yeah, the Skullster was college educated. The whole problem with the computer industry today is that it's run by business majors who don't know jack about design and technology. Computers are very personal items. They're like underwear. You wouldn't buy beige, no name underwear assembled from random parts from equally random vendors would you? You'd end up with Frankenbriefs.

The old Apple ad campaign, Think Different, nailed it on the head.

Oh, and no, 11 years is NOT a long time for CEOs. Not for the good ones. The chaff gets recycled every few years, but the good leaders stick around for multiple decades.

On the last point, I wouldn't be so sure that that is a good idea. Apple needs a strong CEO, and if the guys Steve's been pruning can get paid more elsewhere for doing the same thing, they're likely to bail and go revolutionize the competitor. CEO compensation can get obscene, but there is also the practical matter of supply and demand. But that's one of those things you can't really be sure of until you try it and the company goes belly up from crap leadershit.

Anyway, there's nothing like beating a dead horse. So I'm gonna guess that you're either

a) being sarcastic, and I'm having one of my Captain Oblivious days

b) a troll

c) Steve Balmer in disguise

d) an idiot

e) simply don't know any better, and enjoy spouting off as if you're an expert on things you really haven't investigated or thought much about.

I'm guessing, and hoping, that it's e. e is excusable, and we've (almost) all done it from time to time. I know I have. It strokes the ego, and seems safe because our argument seem perfectly obvious and logical. But then it gets shot full of holes, and we get embarrassed. Oh well.

And I bet someone else has already said the exact nonsense I just spouted. I better go finish reading the thread.

Enjoy!

C
  • Reply 118 of 224
    celemourncelemourn Posts: 769member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

In my days of simply lurking on this forum, I read any number of ouragan's tirades about how Steve Jobs didn't deserve his success because he was "the illegitimate child of an unwed mother and a Syrian father," and because he "didn't have the persistence or moral fiber to complete a university education." (Like Bill Gates did, for example?) I've almost been motivated to reply on several occasions, if only to say how offended I am by these arguments, but I usually just say to myself: "Well, everybody's entitled to their opinion."

However: saying that kind of thing on this particular thread is at least bad taste....

Oops. I was wrong. I guess it was choice (d) after all.

MUAHAHAHAAA
  • Reply 119 of 224
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    If Steve's a Vegan then I'm a Vegetarian.

The man's favorite dish at NeXT was Sushi that wasn't vegan.

He's mainly a vegetarian, but not a vegan.

I'm concerned that his immune system has been weakened due to the pancreatic cancer.

And he was never very thin while at NeXT. He was very healthy and fit.
  • Reply 120 of 224
    gastroboygastroboy Posts: 530member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

I'd rather see jonathan ives take over the CEO job than someone that knows about financials...

I've seen many a restaurant go down hill rapidly when the chef took over.

Apple needs a special set of skills. Good taste married with daring and marketing smarts as well as financial cunning.

So how many CEOs do you know that fit that bill?

Plenty who think they do.