iPhone Apps and Features Request

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
It seems like the biggest complaint remaining about the iPhone is the lack of certain native software features (not hardware features). This thread is dedicated for the listing of the native features you'd like to see, as well as third-party and native apps you'd like to see.

I'll start the list off with a few things things I've heard people request:

Native feaures
  • Copy/paste functions

• Search across the entire device

• Hands-free functions & Voice activated commands/dialing

• MMS/multimedia messaging

• Video capture

• Record and export tools (i.e. for recording phone calls or exporting SMS messaging)

• Automatic location-based settings (i.e. volume of ringtone, etc.)

• Horizontal keyboard layout option for most apps

Third-Party
  • Instant Messaging (although this is certain to be available as a free app, for instance, Adium plans to create an iPhone app, it would be nice to have a native client like iChat)

• An fitness/athletics app that builds and tracks work-outs, gives tips, and uses GPS to track distance and pace for hiking, running, biking, etc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

It seems like the biggest complaint remaining about the iPhone is the lack of certain native software features (not hardware features). This thread is dedicated for the listing of the native features you'd like to see, as well as third-party and native apps you'd like to see.

I'll start the list off with a few things things I've heard people request:

Native feaures
    • Copy/paste functions

• Search across the entire device

• Hands-free functions & Voice activated commands/dialing

• MMS/multimedia messaging

• Video capture

• Record and export tools (i.e. for recording phone calls or exporting SMS messaging)

• Automatic location-based settings (i.e. volume of ringtone, etc.)

• Horizontal keyboard across the board (for every app)

Third-Party
    • Instant Messaging (although this is certain to be available as a free app, for instance, Adium plans to create an iPhone app, it would be nice to have a native client like iChat)

• An fitness/athletics app that builds and tracks work-outs, gives tips, and uses GPS to track distance and pace for hiking, running, biking, etc.

Looks like there's plenty of room for app developers to find a niche and dominate in these areas (with both free and for-pay apps).

What makes me happiest however, is the knowledge that Android is making tremendous strides and there is the promise of tons of competitive pressure on Apple to improve the iPhone and apps. Competition rules.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If Apple made these apps they'd have give them away for free to all iPhone users, and they'd have to spend a lot of time and effort creating them. If they leave it open for third parties they can sit back with their legs up and take 30 off the top. Bastards!

As for copy & paste, Steve needs a good smack in the head cause we need that. And it's not something that a third party can provide and be approved.

Although there are a few other items on that list that would be tricky if not impossible for third parties to provide also.

You guys did see my post where I solved copy & paste right?
  • Reply 3 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If Apple made these apps they'd have give them away for free to all iPhone users, and they'd have to spend a lot of time and effort creating them. If they leave it open for third parties they can sit back with their legs up and take 30 off the top. Bastards! [/B]

You have a colorful way with words, Ireland!
  • Reply 4 of 39
    tutumiles1tutumiles1 Posts: 115member
    i think it is great that the device is faster but as an original owner, I am not motivated to buy a new phone. I am hopeful that the app store will have some of the features that I find really helpful but I have to be honest and say i am overly impressed! The Exchange stuff will be good on the corporate side but Apple still has some big misses on that side. Hopefully the Apple store will fill the gap
  • Reply 5 of 39
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    voice dialing is a software not a hardware issue.....correct, if so then we will see them in spades come apps store.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    I am not impressed with the new iPhone. Lucky for them, its rather cheap; therefore I will buy one, as will many others. I use the Internet a lot, so 3G is very nice and hopefully the audio is tremendously improved because I constantly miss calls. What disappoints me is the lack of video capture and flash support.

The main reason I'm buying the new one is that my girlfriend loves my iPhone so I'm selling it to her for $100 so I can get more storage space(16GB). The 3G and "improved" audio are just plusses. So basically I'm killing 2 birds with one stone.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

I am not impressed with the new iPhone. Lucky for them, its rather cheap; therefore I will buy one, as will many others. I use the Internet a lot, so 3G is very nice and hopefully the audio is tremendously improved because I constantly miss calls. What disappoints me is the lack of video capture and flash support.

The main reason I'm buying the new one is that my girlfriend loves my iPhone so I'm selling it to her for $100 so I can get more storage space(16GB). The 3G and "improved" audio are just plusses. So basically I'm killing 2 birds with one stone.

Whether you're impressed or not, at least you're buying one. But... dude... "selling" your old phone to your girlfriend? \
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Whether you're impressed or not, at least you're buying one. But... dude... "selling" your old phone to your girlfriend? \

LOL, I know I guy like that. He wanted his girlfriend to pay him for his laptop which he bought second hand. It was a Dell, and was about 8 years old.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Bet that relation doesn't last much longer.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

What disappoints me is the lack of video capture and flash support.

Full flash on a mobile platform would be incredible slow.

Although the option to have video capture would be nice, your 16GB would much sooner be used and the video quality is going to such anyways.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:

Bet that relation doesn't last much longer.

Nearly 3 years strong. The point is that neither of us have "the money" to buy new iPhones so we came up with this solution.

No need to be an ass clown about it. Besides, it was her idea to buy it. I could sell it for more on ebay, however that wouldn't benefit her now would it?
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

LOL, I know I guy like that. He wanted his girlfriend to pay him for his laptop which he bought second hand. It was a Dell, and was about 8 years old.

I am nothing like that guy you know. The iPhone is a few months old and is in pristine condition and I just got back from our $2200 Disney vacation that I paid for entirely.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    UMA service support.

The carriers may need convincing, but now that they don't have to share revenue and seem to have received other concessions, maybe Apple could push this on them.

And video capture would be nice.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:

Nearly 3 years strong. The point is that neither of us have "the money" to buy new iPhones so we came up with this solution.

Want some water to wash your foot down your mouth?

No need to be an ass clown about it. Besides, it was her idea to buy it. I could sell it for more on ebay, however that wouldn't benefit her now would it.

I wasn't talking about you! I was responding to Ireland:

Quote:

Anything people post on these boards is potential fodder for criticism as you can see... but if you're new to this board you may not have caught on yet.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:

I wasn't talking about you! I was responding to Ireland:

Anything people post on these boards is potential fodder for criticism as you can see... but if you're new to this board you may not have caught on yet.

I'm not new to this board. I realize everyone is a critic. I've been a member to various boards for years. I just hate when people make assumptions on things they know NOTHING about and try to raise their ego. besides, its only the Internet board.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:

I'm not new to this board. I realize everyone is a critic. I've been a member to various boards for years. I just hate when people make assumptions on things they know NOTHING about and try to raise their ego. besides, its only the Internet board.

Likewise. Thanks for the "ass clown" comment, btw.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:

Likewise. Thanks for the "ass clown" comment, btw.

my bad. I take that back, I've been around long enough to know you're a respected member of this board. Btw, I did see the shmuck comment as well before you edited it.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

I could sell it for more on ebay

Doubtful.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Alright, boys, back on topic now.

Personally, I am thrilled with the new iPhone - primarily because I can finally get my hands on one here in Japan! My wife and I both are getting 16GBs; asked our local electronics shop (which has a cell phone shop inside) to order for us as soon as they come available.

That amazing music app that was previewed (luv the blues) shows some of the power of the iPhone in creating audio, so I am sure that it is a matter of time before more recording apps come available. Screen capture might come, too, with something like Snapz. A simple sketch program would be awesome.

Yeah, it needs video capture. My current phone, which is four (just checked) years old, has it, but with a 1 megapixel cam.

The cam could also be improved; I was seriously considering the new Sony model that has a 5.1 MP cam, but would buy an iPhone any day for other reasons.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:

I am nothing like that guy you know. The iPhone is a few months old and is in pristine condition and I just got back from our $2200 Disney vacation that I paid for entirely.

Yeah but when you were there she caught you looking that other girl up on down didn't she!?