Apple seeds iPhone build 5A331, OS X 10.6 build 10A96, Safari 4

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple in the past 48 hours has provided its developer community with a wealth of new pre-release software, including the first external builds of both Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and Safari 4, as well as a fresh build of iPhone Software v2.0.

iPhone Software 2.0 (build 5A331)

People familiar with the seedings say iPhone Software v2.0 build 5A331 arrived late Monday to a select group of testers, and includes minor changes to reflect announcements made earlier in the day at Apple's developers conference.

Most notably, all references to .Mac setup have been re-branded for the upcoming MobileMe replacement service. The build also repaired a nagging issue where an IPSec VPN account with pre-shared key authenication would fail to establish a connection.

Apple said it plans to release iPhone Software v2.0 sometime in early July, likely around the same time it launches iPhone 3G on July 11th. A full rundown of features expected as part of the release were covered Monday.

Mac OS X 10.6 (build 10A96)

Separately, developers attending WWDC 2008 were provided with a physical Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard installation disc, pictured below, containing the first build of the next-generation operating system to leave Apple's corporate boundaries.

Snow Leopard Developer Preview | Image via MacNotes.de.

A handful of uneventful screenshots (1, 2) from the release reveal the build number to be 10A96 and the system preference pane to reflect whether the system is running at 32- or 64-bit.

Snow Leopard Developer Preview | Image via MacNotes.de.

Apple said Monday that rather than focusing primarily on new features, Snow Leopard will enhance the performance of OS X, set a new standard for quality and lay the foundation for future OS X innovation. A list of enhancements expected as part of the release are available here.

Apple says it plans to release Snow Leopard "within a year."

Safari 4.0 build (5526.11.2)

Finally, Apple on Tuesday provided developers with a Developer Preview of Safari 4.0 for Leopard, Tiger, and Windows. People familiar with the 40.2MB release for Leopard say the browser is noticeably more responsive than version 3.1.1 and also includes a couple of minor features.

Among the new additions is a General preference setting to set new browser windows to open with tabs from the bookmarks bar or a specific tabs folder. Another feature, accessible under the File menu, lets web pages be saved as self-contained, executable Mac OS X applications -- a feature that exists today via a third-party application called Fluid.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Score! I wonder if the first external developer build of Leopard Snow feels Snappier™
  • Reply 2 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    No move from Aqua into a unified look yet. That is disappointing.

I'm glad we'll finally get soem in-depth details as to what has and has not been altered from Leopard.

PS: I'm told Safari 4 can already be had at torrent sites.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    I may have missed this in the flood of Snow Leopard news, but is PPC getting the axe or not in 10.6?
  • Reply 4 of 44
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

It can be had for free at Apple's developer account -- register as an online developer, log in, and go to Downloads.

Amorya

"I'm There Dude" - Butthead
  • Reply 5 of 44
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: I'm told Safari 4 can already be had at torrent sites.

It can be had for free at Apple's developer account -- register as an online developer, log in, and go to Downloads.

Amorya
  • Reply 6 of 44
    macserverxmacserverx Posts: 217member
    Or you could just get the latest nightly at http://nightly.webkit.org/. Unless of course the DP has extra Safari features and not just extra WebKit features.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    The Webkit version they are using gets 100% on http://acid3.acidtests.org/ and have some nice features, like Full Page Zoom, although there is still no check box in Preferences to turn it on and off so you still need to enable via Terminal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

It can be had for free at Apple's developer account -- register as an online developer, log in, and go to Download.

Thanks. I thought it was only for paid developer accounts.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    I like the name a lot: Snow Leopard
  • Reply 9 of 44
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

All the apps in the Utilities folder said "Universal Binary" in the screen shot.

Of interest: the System Preferences specifically noted in the title bar "32 bit" so maybe the OS really is fully 64-bit now and there's a 32-bit backwards compatibility mode for apps. Hmmm.....

That appears to be the case. Activity Monitor has also been updated to list which processes are 64-bit and which aren't.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Quote:

Aqua is a long standing Mac OS X tradition that Apple should never move away from. Most Windows switchers (myself included) love the Apple aqua elements of OS X.

What Apple can do is allow an option for a non-aqua appearance other than graphite to satisfy the teeny tiny number of folk who want this changed if they care to do so.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by internetworld7 View Post

Aqua is a long standing Mac OS X tradition that Apple should never move away from. Most Windows switchers (myself included) love the Apple aqua elements of OS X.

What Apple can do is allow an option for a non-aqua appearance other than graphite to satisfy the teeny tiny number of folk who want this changed if they care to do so.

I prefer the graphite, but I have no issue with Aqua. My real concern is that it will be unified. However, I still spoke to soon as the pics clearly show that apps using Aqua have not had enough time to make any of the changes needed. We can use the System Profiler image to see which apps have been updated. I am too busy to check now, but I did notice that Activity Monitor has been updated from 10.5 to 10.6, which now shows us which processes are 64-bit.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    I sure hope Apple has MUCH more in store for Safari 4 than what this preview build offers. Whether Apple likes it or not, it is in stiff competition with Firefox 3 which should be released any day now. Safari 3.1.1 is ok but I much rather prefer the nightly webkit builds with a few plugins, NightShift and the webkit new version check homepage disabled.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:

I sure hope Apple has MUCH more in store for Safari 4 than what this preview build offers. Whether Apple likes it or not, it is in stiff competition with Firefox 3 which should be released any day now. Safari 3.1.1 is ok but I much rather prefer the nightly webkit builds with a few plugins, NightShift and the webkit new version check homepage disabled.

Extensions would be nice. The benefit from pulling FF users to Safari seems to greatly outweigh the little effort it would take to set up the functionality. With the thousands of Dashboard widgets and the number of people wanting to develop for the iPhone, I can only see this helping Safari's platform.

I'd also like the Downloads window to be translucent like in Shiira, or like the Show Inspector window, amd/or have a native open to make it not appear at all.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    mimicmimic Posts: 72member
    Quote:

I wold be happy if it did not crash daily on my G5!!
  • Reply 17 of 44
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

What isn't available in Safari that you want to see? Which plugins?

Safari isn't supposed to be a Cadillac. It's supposed to be a sports car. It's supposed to be lightweight and fast. That's the way I like it. I don't want cup holders.

Safari isn't even competing with Firefox...and doesn't have to.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:

Activity Monitor has also been updated to list which processes are 64-bit and which aren't.

FYI: Activity Monitor in 10.5 already notes which apps are 64 bit. Last.fm's iScrobbler is noted as: Intel (64 bit). It's also noted as taking up far too much of my RAM, but that's another story.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

I may have missed this in the flood of Snow Leopard news, but is PPC getting the axe or not in 10.6?

The rumors said yes, but the info trickling in makes it look like PPC is still supported. Someone with the release should be able to confirm it for sure soon.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:

No move? Why don't you compare Leopard's Activity Monitor window with the one posting, there's one major difference which looks to me like the beginnings of the removal of Aqua widgets to me.