No New Macbook Pro...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
what now?! when?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    I would guess there'll be an announcement in July, maybe August about new MBs/MBPs. Probably a few weeks after the iphone launch. Sucks because I'll need one by the beginning of August. I'm debating whether to buy now or wait til mid-late july.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    rogue68rogue68 Posts: 98member
    What's the betting people will wait til August and then we'll get another cr*p speed bump.

Bored and looking for something better. There comes a point where this stuff starts feeling like spousal abuse. The love's worn too thin to last.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rogue68 View Post

What's the betting people will wait til August and then we'll get another cr*p speed bump.

Bored and looking for something better. There comes a point where this stuff starts feeling like spousal abuse. The love's worn too thin to last.

THANK YOU! I'm really tired of people bashing others for wanting a redesign. The current one has been around for YEARS. It's time for something new. I have been waiting and waiting for something to make me take the plunge.

Since when did Apple, Inc become Apple iPhone, Inc?

Last I checked Apple has THREE parts now. Mac, Music and iPhone. Why nothing for the other two?
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Hey TailPipe.

Thanks for getting my hopes up about the MacBook Pro.

You and your BS "knowledgeable" comments made me waste a month on my stupid Vaio with today circled on my Calendar.

Great job. If Apple goes under, it's your fault.

I am no longer your fan. Good Day, Sir.

I said Good Day!
  • Reply 5 of 39
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Oh boo-hoo . Look at the Mac Pro, it's still in a box from 2003!
  • Reply 6 of 39
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikeddemus View Post

Hey TailPipe.

Yeah, cos he's that influential

Rumours not coming true - who'd a thunk it!
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Quote:

Hey TailPipe.

Thanks for getting my hopes up about the MacBook Pro.

You and your BS "knowledgeable" comments made me waste a month on my stupid Vaio with today circled on my Calendar.

I am no longer your fan. Good Day, Sir.

I said Good Day!

Tailpipe's just a guesser like the rest of us, but with an twist of fantasist . Best ignored.

Call me cynical, but I don't think there'll be another MBP redesign for at least three years when even its mass market and core business users start keeling over with boredom. Jobs probably thinks the Air is enough to satisfy cool hunters and anyone wanting a new form and function will prioritise one or the other. He's probably right. The faddish gadget mags have uniformly praised the Air for its form factor without mentioning its limited functionality and the MBP is seen by most who use it as a practical and well-designed workhorse.

It's obvious Apple have stopped trying to create "ultimate" machines and are now making 'puters with just enough (and no more than necessary) magic to appeal to the everyman. For a company that seemingly surfed on idealism and innovation for many years that's kinda sad, but then it's only the kind of cash-driven, baseine capitalist decision-making you'd expect of any multi-billion dollar business.

Apple isn't what it was to a lot of early adopters, but now it's something else to more people. A shame, but we all move on, and no doubt so will certain users.

Don't you ever wish Woz had set up his own offshoot? I certainly do.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

It's obvious Apple have stopped trying to create "ultimate" machines and are now making 'puters with just enough (and no more than necessary) magic to appeal to the everyman. For a company that seemingly surfed on idealism and innovation for many years that's kinda sad, but then it's only the kind of cash-driven, baseine capitalist decision-making you'd expect of any multi-billion dollar business.

Actually, I feel Apple is still trying to make "ultimate" machines, just with more focus on power/components instead of design. Remember the ?PC Computer? speed test article that suggested a Mac was the fastest available Windows machine. Seems likely that article brought a wee smile to Mr Jobs face, yes?

As a MBP owner (first 1.83ghz RevD model, and now Penryn 2.4ghz), I feel the casing and form factor are pretty much perfect. ie: It'd be hard to improve, aside from making it lighter and more scratch resistant. No doubt Apple will come up with some reason for innovation, but in the meantime, I'm hardly bored with the design. Then again, I use my computers for work, not just play, so practical performance/features are paramount for me. Just two cents from the other side of the perspective fence.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imiloa View Post

Actually, I feel Apple is still trying to make "ultimate" machines, just with more focus on power/components instead of design. Remember the ?PC Computer? speed test article that suggested a Mac was the fastest available Windows machine. Seems likely that article brought a wee smile to Mr Jobs face, yes?

As a MBP owner (first 1.83ghz RevD model, and now Penryn 2.4ghz), I feel the casing and form factor are pretty much perfect. ie: It'd be hard to improve, aside from making it lighter and more scratch resistant. No doubt Apple will come up with some reason for innovation, but in the meantime, I'm hardly bored with the design. Then again, I use my computers for work, not just play, so practical performance/features are paramount for me. Just two cents from the other side of the perspective fence.

You're confirming my point really: Jobs is riding on the idea people will either go for function (current MBP) or the old 'think different' ethos, (ie: the Air), but no longer can you get em in the same package.

It's middle-of-the-road marketing for middle-of-the-road consumers, but that's ok. Another company will come along and innovate all over Apple and that'll be the end of that because every year Apple smugly churn out the same old b*lls is another nail in the cross-of-hype that selling yourself on being an industry maverick creates.

That's not a value judgement, it's just how I see Apple's marketing strategy and place in the PC market (no irony intended.)
  • Reply 10 of 39
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:

You're confirming my point really: Jobs is riding on the idea people will either go for function (current MBP) or the old 'think different' ethos, (ie: the Air), but no longer can you get em in the same package.

It's middle-of-the-road marketing for middle-of-the-road consumers, but that's ok. Another company will come along and innovate all over Apple and that'll be the end of that because every year Apple smugly churn out the same old b*lls is another nail in the cross-of-hype that selling yourself on being an industry maverick creates.

That's not a value judgement, it's just how I see Apple's marketing strategy and place in the PC market (no irony intended.)

I see it differently. Apple computers still appear to be the best looking machines out there. They don't appear as middle of the road to me. Also, there are judgments to be made on where to put resources. Apple has poured a lot into OS X and is there anyone here who would trade that for Vista? Spending money for the sake of change is a poorer use of resources than spending money for the sake of improvement.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    I too am very disappointed that the new MBP didn't show at WWDC.

It is frustrating to see the iPhone getting so much love while the core profit engine for Apple: notebook computers is left lagging in the dark ages.

However, we knew that the new MacBook Pro's launch schedule had been disrupted by the late arrival of Centrino 2 (Montevina), but hoped that Apple would be unaffected by this since its machines do not use the full Centrino chipset. Obviously, the supply problem is a bigger issue than we thought.

The problem isn't that Centrino 2 is late. It's REALLY late. It was supposed to debut in May. Now it isn't expected until mid-July. The late arrival of Penryn in February was another factor that screwed product cycles. The refresh of the MBP was supposed to happen around MacWorld in January. So, please guys, blame Intel not me.

BUT...

The bottom line is a new MaBook Pro is coming. It is going to be great, so hang in there.

It is way overdue for a proper update. (It's the only Apple computer that doesn't use the new keyboard design and it is much thicker and heavier than it needs to be given new chip designs.)

New MacBooks are on the way too.

So keep the faith and don't buy a Sony VAIO with VISTA in the meantime; you know you'll regret it.

Of course, I'm a guesser like the rest of us. That's why I enjoy this site. Guessing is fun. I just try to make my speculation as informed as possible by different perspectives.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

I too am very disappointed that the new MBP didn't show at WWDC.

It is frustrating to see the iPhone getting so much love while the core profit engine for Apple: notebook computers is left lagging in the dark ages.

However, we knew that the new MacBook Pro's launch schedule had been disrupted by the late arrival of Centrino 2 (Montevina), but hoped that Apple would be unaffected by this since its machines do not use the full Centrino chipset. Obviously, the supply problem is a bigger issue than we thought.

The problem isn't that Centrino 2 is late. It's REALLY late. It was supposed to debut in May. Now it isn't expected until mid-July. The late arrival of Penryn in February was another factor that screwed product cycles. The refresh of the MBP was supposed to happen around MacWorld in January. So, please guys, blame Intel not me.

BUT...

The bottom line is a new MaBook Pro is coming. It is going to be great, so hang in there.

It is way overdue for a proper update. (It's the only Apple computer that doesn't use the new keyboard design and it is much thicker and heavier than it needs to be given new chip designs.)

New MacBooks are on the way too.

So keep the faith and don't buy a Sony VAIO with VISTA in the meantime; you know you'll regret it.

Of course, I'm a guesser like the rest of us. That's why I enjoy this site. Guessing is fun. I just try to make my speculation as informed as possible by different perspectives.

awww how can I stay mad at you?

Last night I nearly purchased a Macbook just for the damned iTouch they're throwing at people. If I don't hear anything about a new Macbook by the time the new iphone is released, I'm going to just get the Perryn.

It's been like, a billion years since the last update of the Macbook. I mean, it's still plastic for Christ's sake.

Why didn't Jobs just get up there and say "yeah...new comps by August...look forward to it..." unless they WEREN'T going out.

Apple Stocks FELL yesterday like 3-4%. They would have RISEN that much had he just said Macbook" and walked off the stage.

I'm beginning to think that they weren't coming until next week.

Is this poor reasoning?

APPLEINSIDER doesn't even care of waht I'm going through.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    Quote:

Why didn't Jobs just get up there and say "yeah...new comps by August...look forward to it..." unless they WEREN'T going out.

Because they wouldn't sell much for the next 2 months if he had
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:

awww how can I stay mad at you?

Apple Stocks FELL yesterday like 3-4%. They would have RISEN that much had he just said Macbook" and walked off the stage.

I'm beginning to think that they weren't coming until next week.

Is this poor reasoning?

APPLEINSIDER doesn't even care of waht I'm going through.

I know exactly how you feel. It's all iPhone this and iPhone that.

Found this on a Blog:

Apple Inc. (formerly-and-clearly-no-longer Apple Computer Inc.) proudly announces the obliteration of any computer-related product from its catalog. Going forward, the laptop computer formerly known as the "MacBook Air" will be known as the "iPhone Maxi"*. And the segment-dominating laptop computers formerly known as the "MacBook" and "MacBook Pro" will be renamed the "iPhone Big-n-Bulky"* and "iPhone Bigger-n-Bulkier"*.

*iPhone cell phone functionality not included.

http://davidrupp.blogspot.com/2008/0...idding-me.html

(added for citation purposes only).

Anyone think there might be SOMETHING done with the MB or MBP before August?
  • Reply 15 of 39
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    Just check out Engadget and you can see a slew of new computers scheduled for a mid-July release. HP, Lenovo and Dell all have new machines ready to go when Intel has finished screwing around with Montevina. Apple has to release something around that time for fear of losing sales.

If, for some crazy reason, Apple doesn't change the case designs of its laptops, a chip refresh is still due anyway around July/ August. So now probably isn't a good time to buy. Penryn was a big change for Intel and it is clearly taking time to get these chips right. I suspect that next Penryn iteration will make a good chip even better.

As someone else very wisely pointed out, the best reason to get a Mac isn't one of intel's chips, but OS 10.5. That is already perfect. So if you need a machine today...
  • Reply 16 of 39
    paprochypaprochy Posts: 129member

New mock up of how the new MBP should look like. white keys FTW!
  • Reply 17 of 39
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Just check out Engadget and you can see a slew of new computers scheduled for a mid-July release. HP, Lenovo and Dell all have new machines ready to go when Intel has finished screwing around with Montevina. Apple has to release something around that time for fear of losing sales.

If, for some crazy reason, Apple doesn't change the case designs of its laptops, a chip refresh is still due anyway around July/ August. So now probably isn't a good time to buy. Penryn was a big change for Intel and it is clearly taking time to get these chips right. I suspect that next Penryn iteration will make a good chip even better.

As someone else very wisely pointed out, the best reason to get a Mac isn't one of intel's chips, but OS 10.5. That is already perfect. So if you need a machine today...

As I think you are alluding to, just because HP, Dell, and Levovo have said they are coming out with new computers in the next couple month (while Apple hasn't), doesn't mean Apple won't come out with new computers in the same time frame.

Particularly in the case of Dell and Lenovo, many of their customers simply order what is currently shipping. Announcements by those manufacturers of new machines makes no difference to a good chunk of their clientele. Apple customers more typically are consumers making choices for themselves who pay much closer attention to product cycles, announcements, etc. Of all the significant computer makers, Apple stands the most to lose by getting too far out in front of what they can ship.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    TAILPIPE IS WRONG AGAIN
  • Reply 19 of 39
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

As I think you are alluding to, just because HP, Dell, and Levovo have said they are coming out with new computers in the next couple month (while Apple hasn't), doesn't mean Apple won't come out with new computers in the same time frame.

Particularly in the case of Dell and Lenovo, many of their customers simply order what is currently shipping. Announcements by those manufacturers of new machines makes no difference to a good chunk of their clientele. Apple customers more typically are consumers making choices for themselves who pay much closer attention to product cycles, announcements, etc. Of all the significant computer makers, Apple stands the most to lose by getting too far out in front of what they can ship.

Hasn't Apple typically released updated computers about 1-2 months after PC manufacturers (in the case of Intel chip updates)?
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paprochy View Post

New mock up of how the new MBP should look like. white keys FTW!

Add in the perforated speaker grills on the sides of the keyboard and you might have something there.