What the f? 3 year plan?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
"Starting July 11, iPhone 3G will sell for $199 for the 8Gb model and $299 for the 16Gb

model, on a three-year plan"

I just read this on the rogers website. If this is true, then it means that the phone will be more expensive if we don't get it on a contract, OR, you can't get it without getting the plan with it.

Link:

https://your.rogers.com/investorrela...s_wireless.asp

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

"Starting July 11, iPhone 3G will sell for $199 for the 8Gb model and $299 for the 16Gb

model, on a three-year plan"

I just read this on the rogers website. If this is true, then it means that the phone will be more expensive if we don't get it on a contract, OR, you can't get it without getting the plan with it.

Link:

https://your.rogers.com/investorrela...s_wireless.asp

Now, you do understand that Rogers will always take advantage of their customers, when they are able? I am so sorry that Rogers is the only option for 3G in Canada and that Apple had to partner with them. O2 in the UK trying to entice customer with lower prices, below $199 in some cases. Whereas Rogers hears $199 as the max price locks that into a 3-year contract. Perhaps the UK has competition that forces O2 to compete. The Canadian cell phone companies all act in unison to the point of giving the appearance of collusion. Even without the iPhone, Rogers has never had to compete with Bell and Telus. When one raises rates, they all do. When one narrows the definition of 'free evenings' to be shorter, they all do.

Rogers is still the worst of the bunch. Too bad Fido wasn't independent still. They actually forced some competition, small as they were.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    I never expected anything less from Rogers! It is 3 years for all other phone (for best price), why stop now? Maybe it doesn't bother me as much as it does you because I recently extended 3 years because of a plan upgrade. This country is ghetto when it comes to prices, basically it is an oligopoly. I guess this is why we need foreign competition.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Robbers (otherwise known as Rogers) will milk us for everything we have if we want an iPhone - it's plain and simple.

I need a new phone and am currently in year 2 of my 3 year contract with Rogers and am faced with either signing up for another 3 years on the iPhone without a data plan, otherwise I will end up paying over $1000 over the 3 year contract for the $30/month unlimited data plan that is currently circulating on some forums.

I wonder if we wait a bit, if we can buy the phone on ebay for less than what Rogers will charge for the phone without a data plan.........

And then when the competition materializes in Canada with the new wireless carriers sometime next year, then get a data plan........... this waiting is not fun.