How To Acquire an Iphone 2 This Monday

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I currently have family visiting NYC (I am from Europe). What would be the best way of ensuring that they can successfully purchase the iphone 2 this monday? Will they have to stand in line, or is there a chance of it still being in stock later on the day when there isn't a huge line? Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xspringe View Post

I currently have family visiting NYC (I am from Europe). What would be the best way of ensuring that they can successfully purchase the iphone 2 this monday? Will they have to stand in line, or is there a chance of it still being in stock later on the day when there isn't a huge line? Thanks!

The iPhones won't be available on Monday for two reasons:
    1. The FCC presumably hasn't seen the iPhone yet or we would have heard a lot more about the iPhone 2 by now. Apple will need to get FCC approval, which won't take a lot of time, but it will delay the release a little bit (a few weeks probably).

2. AT&T and Apple staff vacation blackout days are mid june (around the 15th) to mid july (the 12th, I think).

• Reply 2 of 17
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    i'm pretty sure that the fcc will embargo information on their approvals by request of the submitter. we had a discussion about this when the iphone first came out. the embargo wasn't long enough for the time between mwsf 07 and the release of the iphone, so they went ahead and announced it early because there was so much speculation already out there.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I think we may see the iPhone2 and they'll announce a date, but it wont be monday. You know why?. Apple stores don't have them yet.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Apple stores don't have them yet.

How do you know that? And don't say you've seen photos of all those boxes. Boxes are boxes.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

I think we may see the iPhone2 and they'll announce a date, but it wont be monday. You know why?. Apple stores don't have them yet.

I've heard that Apple Stores will often get products same day or the day before. Since yesterday was Sunday...
  • Reply 6 of 17
    useroneuserone Posts: 55member
    I understand that there is one in Australia.

• Reply 7 of 17
    I hardly believe that Apple would keep their partner in crime (AT&T) from being able to bring in their share of the loot on "iPhone 2 Day." That is not a smart business decision considering that AT&T stores are where Apple stores are not... Limited releases do not go over well.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

How do you know that? And don't say you've seen photos of all those boxes. Boxes are boxes.

Besides those photos also showed several large Federal Express trucks going in and out of the facility. They could easily been full of iPhones with Monday delivery dates. And then again, maybe not.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xspringe View Post

Wow hard to say.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I doubt even if the iPhone v2 was ready to stock across the country that today would be the day you can buy one. Why, do you ask? Because, it doesn't give enough time for huge lines to develop and for Apple to ride the wave of weeks of free publicity up until "launch day".

If there's a way Steve can get news crews at every Apple store for free, he's gonna go that route.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by userone View Post

I understand that there is one in Australia.

Nice.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    celemourncelemourn Posts: 769member
    Ok guys, I'm not 100% certain, but this topic looks like a scam attempt to me. I've seen a flood of similar messages posted on yahoo and other sites as comments to articles about the iPhone 3G. The guy probably wants to set up one of those overseas cashier's check scams or something. Admin probably ought to delete this thread and ban the user.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

Ok guys, I'm not 100% certain, but this topic looks like a scam attempt to me. I've seen a flood of similar messages posted on yahoo and other sites as comments to articles about the iPhone 3G. The guy probably wants to set up one of those overseas cashier's check scams or something. Admin probably ought to delete this thread and ban the user.

How is this a scam? The guy just asked a simple question. I think you're over reacting.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

Got any relevant links?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Wasn't the iP3G release date July 11th anyway? How are you supposed to get one before that?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i don't read new posters first post......hmmmmm trust but confirm
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Wasn't the iP3G release date July 11th anyway? How are you supposed to get one before that?

The thread was posted before WWDC. I explained (also before WWDC) that the iPhone wouldn't be available for a while after WWDC.