AppleTV - Please Explain

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I recently bought a 42" HD Philips TV. This is a big deal in my household since our last TV was purchased in '98. With it I also had my cable company install a DVR. Our package has always included HBO and CineMax and of course we have access to oodles of movies on-demand. My question is why would I need an AppleTV box if I can now record most movies and shows that I get with my current package? What would I be missing outside the ability to watch my Podcasts and movie trailers in my family room? Can AppleTV be easily used to watch and store movies that I've downloaded elsewhere? Please fill me in on what I'm missing here? I'm really not up on what it's capabilities are.

The reason I ask is that a friend, who runs a store, can sell me one at half price (new) and want to know if it would even be worth it for me. I'm really not looking for something to up my monthly bills (rentals included) and we don't purchase movies very often and we never purchase TV programs. I guess it would be an impressive show piece for my living room.

Thanks,

Tony

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Why you get with Apple TV really is the ability to buy content from your couch. Like a movie the day it comes out on DVD. But that's hoping Apple have it stocked. If I was you I'd personally wait a while and see what Apple does, but that's me and we don't even have TV Shows or Movies on iTunes over here. If you watch a lot of video podcasts this makes Apple TV a nice connivence but not a necessity. If you want to watch a video on the Apple TV you get off the internet it needs to be in the right h.264 format. You can encode using Quicktime, that is if it doesn't already sync. It's up to you really. Look at the demo on Apple's site and decide for yourself.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Thanks. That helps me sway away from this for the time being.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    You can rip your existing DVD collection, and view it on the tv.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    callaway7callaway7 Posts: 22member
    Like others mentioned, reasons for AppleTV
    • Convenience of renting/purchasing movies directly (slightly expensive imho).

• Moving your existing movies to one device (no swapping out DVDs or getting off the couch). Though no closed captioning.

• Share Photos/Music over your TV/Stereo Receiver

• Small, noiseless, HDTV resolutions, low cost.

The home media center is still relatively new and no one product does it all well. You've got XBox, PS3, MS Media Center, Vudu, Netflix Roku, etc. You can even use an Apple Mini has a home media center with FrontRow or XBMC.

Each of these has its own pros/cons regarding pricing, content availability, recording live tv, storage, and media formats. Given the flux of things, I don't think you'll find any fault in sticking with your DVR, OnDemand, and a DVD Player.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

You can rip your existing DVD collection, and view it on the tv.

But you can't rip your DVDs in an integrated fashion using iTunes or AppleTV. Besides, why rip a DVD if you're only going to watch it on AppleTV? Just pop the DVD in your DVD player and keep the computer and AppleTV off.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Just pop the DVD in your DVD player and keep the computer and AppleTV off.

Exactly why I said the Apple TV needs this:

I have about 60+ DVD's, and I certainly ain't ripping them or buying them again.

Jobs is missing the point if he never adds this. I have a CD slot in my iMac but I don't buy CD's anymore because it's more convenient buying from iTunes. And I ripped my existing music collection because it was a very quick process. Adding a (standard) DVD slot in Apple TV would simply make the product better, and if the video they wanted to buy was available on the store folks would buy it there. The slot would simply give people the ability to play their existing movie collection on the Apple device. It would sell units. And it would clean up entertainment spaces under TV's. Add a iTunes TV Show subscription service and the whole thing would snowball for Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Great replies, thanks.

How close could one get a Mini to act like an Apple TV box?

Tony
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

Great replies, thanks.

How close could one get a Mini to act like an Apple TV box?

Tony

It (Mini) will do everything except movie rentals through iTunes. (Though you can BUY movies.) And the FrontRow interface is slightly different than the aTV interface.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

It (Mini) will do everything except movie rentals through iTunes. (Though you can BUY movies.) And the FrontRow interface is slightly different than the aTV interface.

Thanks. Not too interested in rentals anyhoo. Seems a bit more versatile going the Mini route, now if it were only Blue-Ray.

Tony
  • Reply 10 of 16
    datamodeldatamodel Posts: 126member
    You should be fine adding an external Blu-Ray drive to a Mini I would think. We have a mini with a 500 GB USB drive under our TV, very pleased so far.

Haven't tried the movie rental/buying thing yet - why wouldn't that work on a Mini?

Cheers,

Martin.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I was confused.... Rentals WILL work through iTunes and a Mini.... but HD movies are only available on the aTV... sorry.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

HD movies are only available on the aTV... sorry.

Even as a purchase?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

Even as a purchase?

Yep. HD movies are not synced back to the host Mac. There's been speculation about this, but no one knows for sure the reasoning. Could size of the movies, studio rights, etc.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    datamodeldatamodel Posts: 126member
    Quote:

I was confused.... Rentals WILL work through iTunes and a Mini.... but HD movies are only available on the aTV... sorry.

Perfect - that's what I thought. I'm not mad and all is well - excellent.

Cheers,

Martin.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

But you can't rip your DVDs in an integrated fashion using iTunes or AppleTV. Besides, why rip a DVD if you're only going to watch it on AppleTV? Just pop the DVD in your DVD player and keep the computer and AppleTV off.

You rip DVDs to iTunes for the same reason you rip CDs to iTunes - it's so much more convenient to have a copy on the hard drive that you can play anywhere at any time, rather than storing and dealing with discs.

But for the original poster, I personally wouldn't spend all the money you're spending on TV and then also get an AppleTV. Part of my reasoning for getting one was to use the TV in a completely different way than I had been - to dump cable completely and stop paying that $50/ month.

For me it was a choice between:

TV + Cable, vs.

TV + over-the-air + AppleTV (youtube + video podcasts + rentals + home movies/photos etc.)

And the hi-def rentals have also allowed me to put off buying a hi-def DVD player until the prices come down more.

But I'm sure it depends on your viewing habits. If you watch a lot of cable TV, then obviously you're not going to want to drop it. Or, if you've got money that you really don't want anymore, get both.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    The thing I like about the Apple Tv is the fact that you can use HandBrake and Rip your DVD collection that you have on Hard copy and then put it on your AppleTv and take just the Apple Tv with you and you can have your whole DVD collection.

If that makes sence