Question about benchmarking Battlefield 2142 on MBP

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey guys- I'm using an older Core Duo 1.83 Ghz MBP, and I've been playing the Mac version of BF 2142 on it for a while now. Great game- but the graphics have to be turned down to medium-low to get a playable framerate. I'm going to be upgrading to the 2.4 Ghz Penryn MBP, with the 8600 GT, and I'd like to know: If anybody here plays the mac version of BF2142 on that machine, what video settings can they play at with a reasonable framerate?

\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The 8600 M GT should give you a decent performance increase but the Mac version of 2142 is not a native application. It's one of those Cider apps:

http://www.transgaming.com/products/cider/games/

So it's basically the Windows version run through a compatibility layer. You will get a performance and quality hit just from that alone.

I found online that BF2142 can lag if you have filevault on too so you should turn it off if you do. A faster 7200 rpm drive should help.

If you do go for the newer laptop, Apple still underclocked them but I think there's an app to put it back to the original if you want better performance.

If you don't need the upgrade, I would suggest installing Bootcamp + Windows (you can't if you're on Tiger as Apple disabled Bootcamp) then running the Windows version natively.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The 8600 M GT should give you a decent performance increase but the Mac version of 2142 is not a native application. It's one of those Cider apps:

http://www.transgaming.com/products/cider/games/

So it's basically the Windows version run through a compatibility layer. You will get a performance and quality hit just from that alone.

I found online that BF2142 can lag if you have filevault on too so you should turn it off if you do. A faster 7200 rpm drive should help.

If you do go for the newer laptop, Apple still underclocked them but I think there's an app to put it back to the original if you want better performance.

If you don't need the upgrade, I would suggest installing Bootcamp + Windows (you can't if you're on Tiger as Apple disabled Bootcamp) then running the Windows version natively.

I'm aware of how Cider works, Marvin.

I wasn't aware that Apple underclocked the 8600, though it doesn't surprise me. \

I'll have to plunk down the $$$ for Windows anyway, so I might as well do that. You do know why they call it Boot Camp, right? Because you're preparing to enter enemy territory.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    How good is VMWare for running games? Just curious.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

How good is VMWare for running games? Just curious.

For recent 3D games, it's not good at all. you would be much better off finding a mac-native version, or (more likely) just run it through bootcamp. This is also the case for Parallels.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

For recent 3D games, it's not good at all. you would be much better off finding a mac-native version, or (more likely) just run it through bootcamp. This is also the case for Parallels.

Recent 3D games are horrid. I tried out "The Witcher" which has a Games for Windows certification. In order to get the game to run without crashing every five minutes on Vista, you need to do the following. http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=8809.0

After doing all that crap, it still crashes every 20 minutes or so. Games for Windows, my !@#!@.

I am currently playing around with "On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness" http://www.rainslick.com/ which is based on Penny Arcade and runs on Windows, OS X and Linux. You can use the same license key to run it on different platforms officially. The game is able to run on my 1.25GHz G4 running Leopard.

Makes you wonder what the other 90% of the game manufacturers are smoking.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

Hey guys- I'm using an older Core Duo 1.83 Ghz MBP, and I've been playing the Mac version of BF 2142 on it for a while now. Great game- but the graphics have to be turned down to medium-low to get a playable framerate. I'm going to be upgrading to the 2.4 Ghz Penryn MBP, with the 8600 GT, and I'd like to know: If anybody here plays the mac version of BF2142 on that machine, what video settings can they play at with a reasonable framerate?

\

I don't know exactly how to benchmark it, but I would wait a little bit until the 1.50 patch is out.