G5 Starts Fine Up Doesn't Start Monitor Consistently!!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all. I just purchased a new Mac Pro. My G5 has been problematic for a number of months now even under Leopard. I replaced the internal battery, have done PMU and zapped PRAM and nothing solved my problem. The problem has been: It takes me at least 2 pushes of the power button but sometimes 3 or more to get video on my 20" Cinema Display. This only happens at the start of the day.

Upon receiving the Mac Pro, I zeroed out the G5 hard drive in preparation for sale on eBay but I wanted to make sure that it would start consistently for the new owner. That is the only problem I've ever had with the G5. I then installed Tiger and all the associated upgrades.

I connected to a Samsung monitor. I was gone for the weekend, came home and G5 and monitor started up beautifully first time. Great, I thought. This morning, two fresh starts did not work. The computer boots up but the monitor does not come on. After one PRAM zap, up it came just fine. I reseated the two 512MB RAM sticks, pressed the PMU button once and and hoping for better things but I can't figure this out as the computer otherwise runs fine. I thought it might have been a pesky .KEXT file or something but a zeroing of the hard drive and installation of Tiger should have fixed that, true?

Anyway, I want to make sure the new owner will have a trouble-free computer.

Any suggestions on how I might fix this problem?

Thanks in advance!

SNazz123

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    janusz1janusz1 Posts: 1member
    Any luck with this? I've a similar problem - the mac starts up but no gong every other time I start - but only at the start of day.... If I unplug it, it starts more consistently
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by janusz1 View Post

Any luck with this? I've a similar problem - the mac starts up but no gong every other time I start - but only at the start of day.... If I unplug it, it starts more consistently

Same with me. I've found that unplugging external hard drives and any USBs such as in the front panel seems to help. If you hear a start up chord it seems to guarantee fire-up of the monitor, and plugging something into the USB at the front seems to stop the chord sounding.

I've got it down to one power button press in the morning to get the amber light to turn green. But I still have to press that green light to get the monitor to show a picture.

Other advice I have found includes:

Re-seat the graphics card, Test.

Zap the P-RAM, Test.

Reset NV-RAM in open firmware, Test.

Reset PMU on Logic Board, Test.

Test Start-up from Install CD.

Send to Apple while your warranty is still good

And the suspicion that it's the video card that needs to be re-seated or replaced.

Hope that helps.