Boot Camp Assistant not working?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all - recently came across some Rosetta Stone packs, and wanted to partition my hard drive so I could actually use them.

The problem is, when I use the Boot Camp Assistant, it freezes after I use the slider bar to select the amount to partition. The progress bar will just sit there, the program will wait for 5-10 minutes, and if I don't exit out of it, my computer dims and I have to shut it down (which resulted in me losing 10 gigs and forced me to find my old Disk Warrior boot disk, but I got everything back so things are fine there).

My main question then, is:

1) What do you think is wrong with my computer? I've repaired permissions, updated the firmware (running 10.5.3 on a MBP, 2.33 GHz, 2g memory), etc.

OR, for a potentially easier solution:

2) Do you think Rosetta Stone could run in Parallels?

Thanks for reading everyone, this is one of those things that started out like an easy 20-25 minute project and turned into a day-long, painfully redundant task.

-spofforth

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spofforth View Post

1) What do you think is wrong with my computer? I've repaired permissions, updated the firmware (running 10.5.3 on a MBP, 2.33 GHz, 2g memory), etc.

Someone else had this issue. It's to do with Bootcamp not working well with partly fragemented volumes. If you use iDefrag or do a clone, wipe, reclone and try the partitioning again, it should work.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spofforth View Post

2) Do you think Rosetta Stone could run in Parallels?

Yes and if that's all you will use Windows for, it's probably the best solution as it means no rebooting and you can resume the saved state very quickly.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Someone else had this issue. It's to do with Bootcamp not working well with partly fragemented volumes. If you use iDefrag or do a clone, wipe, reclone and try the partitioning again, it should work.

Yes and if that's all you will use Windows for, it's probably the best solution as it means no rebooting and you can resume the saved state very quickly.

Yep...it was me!

I couldn't find a solution to that kernal panic anywhere, but I used iDefrag like Marvin said and it worked perfectly after that.