iPod Touch Prices to Drop?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
With the announcement of the iPhone 3G, there's no way that Apple can let the iPod Touch prices stay the same after July 11. The questions are: will iPTs with more storage come out for the same prices and/or what will Apple change the prices to?

I say it'll be 16GB for $199 and 32GB for $299.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

With the announcement of the iPhone 3G, there's no way that Apple can let the iPod Touch prices stay the same after July 11. The questions are: will iPTs with more storage come out for the same prices and/or what will Apple change the prices to?

I say it'll be 16GB for $199 and 32GB for $299.

They may drop slightly, but the emphasis is on the iPhone 3G, so don't expect much.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    i was wondering the same thing...its gotta drop
  • Reply 3 of 11
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I wouldn't assume it has to drop. People may see the prices as this:

8 GB iPhone: $199

8 GB iPod touch: $299

But in reality, it's this:

8 GB iPhone: $199 + minimum $70/month data and voice

8 GB iPod touch: $299

In about 6 weeks of paying AT&T, you're at the same price. It's just a subsidized phone now, so you're getting it cheaper because you're paying the monthly fees.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The ipod touch is like the Mini and the iphone like the iMac. They just try to put you off having the lower version as much as they can by say, charging you for every software upgrade to the ipod. If they make your experience worse, eventually you will start to ask, why don't I just get an iphone. That's what Apple do. It's called profiteering.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    They could maybe sell a16gb touch for 199$
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Austinipod22234 View Post

They could maybe sell a16gb touch for 199$

THat kinda sucks then...

That means the "free" iPT will only be the 149 version. Would be awesome if they still gave away a 299 iPT (the 32gb) one.

What are the chances of a new 64gb iPT? That's the only thing keeping me from definitely getting an iPhone July 11th. 16gb is way too small and I don't want to get mobileme to compensate.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I wouldn't expect the Touch to go down in price too soon. The iPhone is cheaper (because it's now subsidized) upfront but the costs over two years will dwarf the Touch's costs even is there were paid software upgrades every month for the Touch.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

I wouldn't expect the Touch to go down in price too soon. The iPhone is cheaper (because it's now subsidized) upfront but the costs over two years will dwarf the Touch's costs even is there were paid software upgrades every month for the Touch.

A fair point, however how many people will think of the long term?

I expect prices to drop slightly, after all iPod Touch is really only for the people who want the latest iPod and the occasional web browsing ability when in a coffee shop etc.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeDRC View Post

A fair point, however how many people will think of the long term?

I expect prices to drop slightly, after all iPod Touch is really only for the people who want the latest iPod and the occasional web browsing ability when in a coffee shop etc.

It seems the least expensive option for actually *using* the iPhone 3G is to pay $70 ($40 voice + $30 data) a month and you can't even leave the store with it without activating it. I'd hope that people would be able to do some rudimentary math but you never really know. The touch is less expensive as soon as the iPhone user is into their second month of service.

My job will subsidize the data plan and part of the voice plan so I'll probably be picking up an iPhone when they hit the stores but it's no small cost if you're paying your own way.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    will there be a new itouch 3G? Should I wait to get one?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

will there be a new itouch 3G? Should I wait to get one?

Yeah there will definitely be an itouch 3G. There's also going to be a click-wheel iMac and a blue dalmatian iWork.