OS X animations runny, choppy?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have noticed lately that Expose, Stacks, and even the Dock animations are running like complete crap. I don't know if it's me just looking for a problem or what, but ever since I updated to 10.5.3 my MBP has been a little weird. Has anyone had similar experiences?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

I have noticed lately that Expose, Stacks, and even the Dock animations are running like complete crap. I don't know if it's me just looking for a problem or what, but ever since I updated to 10.5.3 my MBP has been a little weird. Has anyone had similar experiences?

Well, I cannot be sure about your precise experience, but I have too observed that generally in Leopard the animations are rather choppy compared to what we previously had. Not only on Macbooks but on iMacs too that have much more GPU power. I don't know where the problem is. I hope Snow Leopard will address this, although Apple should by now have already fixed it. I think however that 10.5.3 is a little bit more fluid than 10.5.2.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I hope they fix it before Snow Leopard. I think it looks horrible right now the way it is.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

I hope they fix it before Snow Leopard. I think it looks horrible right now the way it is.

I haven't noticed them to be any better or worse than previous builds. Seem fine to me.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

I haven't noticed them to be any better or worse than previous builds. Seem fine to me.

But worse than previous Mac OS X versions. I have an old Aluminium Powerbook G4 867 MHz with only 640 MB of RAM under Panther (and a dinosaur of a Geforce 420 as GPU), and all the animations are superfluid if the system has not yet started paging out a lot. Not the case unfortunately with Leopard in a much faster and fully loaded (4 GB) Macbook. Same situation on iMacs too.

From my experience I gather that definitely something is wrong with the OS-commanded animations in Leopard.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

But worse than previous Mac OS X versions. I have an old Aluminium Powerbook G4 867 MHz with only 640 MB of RAM under Panther (and a dinosaur of a Geforce 420 as GPU), and all the animations are superfluid if the system has not yet started paging out a lot. Not the case unfortunately with Leopard in a much faster and fully loaded (4 GB) Macbook. Same situation on iMacs too.

From my experience I gather that definitely something is wrong with the OS-commanded animations in Leopard.

Yeah I had TIger on my Mac Pro, when I upgraded to Leopard I didn't see any difference. With my MBP that came with Leopard, I noticed it right away. It really doesn't run the animations right at all. I hope they can fix this, cause it really looks like crap right now. Yeah the OS is solid, I haven't had any REAL problems yet, but the OS animations look horrible.