VMware's Fusion 2.0 to support virtualization of OS X Server

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
VMware announced Thursday that version 2.0 of its Fusion virtualization software for Mac will include support for Mac OS X Leopard Server virtual machines running on top of Mac OS X.

Available in the next public beta, the added functionality is a result of recent changes to the Mac OS X Leopard Server license agreement, which allows users to run multiple copies of Leopard Server on a single piece of Apple hardware, provided that users acquire an individual license for each copy.

In fact, VMware says Fusion 2.0 will run many copies of Mac OS X Server on brawny Mac hardware -- like Xserves or Mac Pros -- as long as there is RAM to support them. The virtualization software itself will support up to 8GB of RAM per virtual machine, in addition to other "big iron features" like dual-core virtual machines and 64-bit operating systems.

Alternatively, users can simultaneously run a mixture of server operating systems, such as the combination of Windows Server 2003, Linux and Mac OS X Server. This capability will be particularly useful for cross-platform developers, VMware notes, because they'll be able to run Xcode and Visual Studio on the same machine, compile, and then test the software in multiple virtual operating systems that are running as virtual machines.

Running multiple instances of Leopard Server should also help developers shave time off their debugging procedures. Instead of tinkering with configurations and settings to reproduce a quality assurance tester?s system, they'll be able to simply copy the tester?s virtual machine, quickly reproduce a bug, write a fix, and then use Fusion's 'roll back to a snapshot' function before testing again.

Mac OS X Server running atop Mac OS X.

Other potential advantages for enterprise customers include reduced energy costs by running fewer physical servers, improved security and management by isolating services like Apache and mail across virtual machines, and more efficient utilization of hardware by hosting services that require distinct installations of Leopard Server all on one piece of hardware.

VMware Fusion 2.0 will be a free upgrade for all Fusion 1.x customers when it's released later this year. A beta of version 2.0 that includes support for Leopard Server virtual machines is due soon. In the meantime, an earlier beta is available for download.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Sounds nice but it's a bit superfluous.

The best virtualization comes from baremetal setups like VMware ESX. Apple has a two socket server and it's 1U. Not really the ideal scale out box for virtualized environments.

It "is" however a step in the right direction and hopefully by 10.7 Apple will partner up with 3rd party vendors with a full fledged Hypervisor OS X version.

Until then they need to continue to differentiate OS X server and make it a viable option for certain business environments.

Snow Leopard is a step in the right direction with iCal 2, ZFS read/write and Address Book Server. What other nuggets can Apple add to make OS X Server a viable competitor?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I'm looking forward to some hot Mac on Mac action!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

The virtualization software itself will support up to 8GB of RAM per virtual machine, in addition to other "big iron features" like dual-core virtual machines and 64-bit operating systems.

Why are virtual machines limited to only dual cores?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Long live VMWare Fusion. Blows Parallels away in stability and performance.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Have to agree after running both for some time, VMWare rocks. This is good news although I am running OS X Server 10.4 not 10.5, I guess this might spur me to upgrade. This sounds fun.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    hfuhfu Posts: 55member
    Been running Fusion 2.0 beta, very fast and perform well. Now Apple is also focusing on tuning the performance and stability of 10.6, expect OSX to scale even better when it comes to multiple instances of VM.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Parallels, did you hear that? A F-R-E-E update from 1.x to 2.0, talk about awesome!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Sounds nice but it's a bit superfluous.

The best virtualization comes from baremetal setups like VMware ESX. Apple has a two socket server and it's 1U. Not really the ideal scale out box for virtualized environments.

It "is" however a step in the right direction and hopefully by 10.7 Apple will partner up with 3rd party vendors with a full fledged Hypervisor OS X version.

Until then they need to continue to differentiate OS X server and make it a viable option for certain business environments.

Snow Leopard is a step in the right direction with iCal 2, ZFS read/write and Address Book Server. What other nuggets can Apple add to make OS X Server a viable competitor?

You have to visualize newer OS X Server Hardware to expand upon this when it is actually ready for sale.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    This will be such an awesome feature. I'll be able to test new apps in the VM so my real machine doesn't get cluttered with old preference files, plugins, startup items etc. Can also browse in the VM to protect my real files from the Internet.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Alternatively, users can simultaneously run a mixture of server operating systems, such as the combination of Windows Server 2003, Linux and Mac OS X Server. This capability will be particularly useful for cross-platform developers, VMware notes, because they'll be able to run Xcode and Visual Studio on the same machine, compile, and then test the software in multiple virtual operating systems that are running as virtual machines.

I already do this (run Windows and Linux at the same time on top of Mac OS X). Other than the added ability to test on Mac OS X Server, developers are able to do this right now.

Developers, developers, developers, developers...

(sorry, just gets in my head every time I say the word)
  • Reply 11 of 12
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

How about a ménage Ã* trois (Mac on Mac on Mac)?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

No incest for you!