Apple's Mac OS X 10.5.4 to fix nagging shutdown glitch

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The next maintenance update to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard will add support for the company's rebranded suite of internet services but also patch over a dozen other bugs that have withstood earlier updates to the operating system.

People familiar with the software say the Mac maker recently provided its vast developer community with a second pre-release build of the impending Mac OS X 10.5.4 Update labeled build 9E12.

Among the dozen or so code corrections baked into the latest build were fixes to a bug that would leave some Mac systems hanging on shutdown, and another that prevented applications from being assigned to Spaces via drag-and-drop from the application list.

As was the case with earlier updates to Leopard under testing, Apple has requested that developers evaluate the software broadly. Specifically, the company is alleged to have listed nearly two dozen core components that need special attention, including iLife compatibility, printing, networking, AirPort, and common applications such as Mail, iCal, and iChat.

Mac OS X 10.5.4 will also be required by Leopard users who wish to utilize the company's just-announced MobileMe service, a collection of online services and software announced at this week's Apple Worldwide Developers Conference as a more capable and advanced replacement for .Mac.

As such, the Leopard update, which currently weighs in around 150 megabytes, will be released within the next few weeks, ahead of the July 11 MobileMe launch date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Are they ever going to fix the problem with my Mac going into a fritz when waking up from sleep? Very annoying.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Actually there's a very annoying Spaces bug (which I reported) which stops spaces being switched both via the dock icon and via cmd+tab. The only way round it is zoom out by clicking the Spaces icon and go to the space you seek that way. It's most annoying, and it's not a permissions issue, it's definitely a bug. It seems to be a related to iWeb somehow. After publishing and such.

On the subject of iWeb, iWeb never keeps the color palette open between quits and restarts of the app, this can become quite annoying. Having a larger display it's nice to lay out inspectors and color palettes so you never have to bother opening and closing them. You place it off your canvas and it's out of the way to be used when you choose, but when you open the app again it's magically disappeared. Annoying!
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Probably the most annoying problem is that of file corruption when saving Photoshop files to a server.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    skottichanskottichan Posts: 193member
    HAH!

I finally have an issue that matches up with a point release. For some reason, and it's completely random, my iMac will hang on shut down. Granted it generally only happens 1 time out of 100, but I can finally say I have a problem that's being fixed (outside of the weird samsung HDD problem a while back).
  • Reply 5 of 34
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Are they ever going to fix the problem with my Mac going into a fritz when waking up from sleep? Very annoying.

My original-series PowerMac G5 2.0 does this, too. It also occasionally has a blank screen on boot afterwards. I'm increasingly of the opinion that this might be a hardware problem with the graphics card, since the hard disk sounds like it's spinning up correctly...
  • Reply 6 of 34
    k2directork2director Posts: 194member
    Maybe Apple can also fix the case of disappearing RSS feeds in Mail, as well as glitches in synching documents to .Mac iDisk.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    tcrowntcrown Posts: 9member
    Any word on if there is a fix for the Indesign crashing when importing images, exporting PDF's nad constant pref corruption issues?
  • Reply 8 of 34
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

This just happened to my 24" iMac (White) when I tried to wake it up this morning. It WAS annoying!
  • Reply 9 of 34
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    My PowerMac G5 is suffering from various issues since it was upgraded to Leopard. I notice it more once I started using Time Capsule:

- hangs on shut down from time to time

- when it wakes from sleep, it looses connectivity with the Internet

- Applications become unresponsive frequently

Overall, it's annoying. I don't have these issues on my MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcrown View Post

Any word on if there is a fix for the Indesign crashing when importing images, exporting PDF's nad constant pref corruption issues?

That is most likely a problem with your set up. There are a few bugs with inDesign but I don't think the ones you mention are in the list of known issues. I use inDesign all day, everyday and I don't really have any problem at all. Maybe you need more memory. In any case, it doesn't sound like anything that an OS update would be able to fix.

BTW: I have on occasion received inDesign files that were corrupted and 'save as' doesn't fix them. I solved that problem by copying and pasting into a new document. If it is one particular document that you are having problems with that may explain the issue.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    How about also fixing the bug that causes the flashing cursor in Photoshop after switching Spaces? Every time a new update comes out, I'm hopeful that it has the fix, but the problem still persists in 10.5.3 for me and countless others.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    mr squidmr squid Posts: 58member
    Apple needs to fix the problems with airport. Until that happens my Mac notebooks are essentially bricks. What use is a notebook if it refuses to connect to about half of the networks that it encounters?
  • Reply 13 of 34
    tcrowntcrown Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That is most likely a problem with your set up. There are a few bugs with inDesign but I don't think the ones you mention are in the list of known issues. I use inDesign all day, everyday and I don't really have any problem at all. Maybe you need more memory. In any case, it doesn't sound like anything that an OS update would be able to fix.

BTW: I have on occasion received inDesign files that were corrupted and 'save as' doesn't fix them. I solved that problem by copying and pasting into a new document. If it is one particular document that you are having problems with that may explain the issue.

I'm on a 12" PB clean installed Leopard a number of times and always the same problem, the Adobe forum is full of people with similar problems, I suspect it has something to do with the finder as that's when the app crashes generally going to the finder to save or load something. Also <CMD-H> does not hide the app.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I hope you are logging your issues with Apple. Posting here is find for a quick vent and perhaps find a workaround but letting Apple know directly will help ensure that it will eventually be resolved.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcrown View Post

Also <CMD-H> does not hide the app.

I heard people say that but it works for me.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Mac OS X 10.5.4 will also be required by Leopard users who wish to utilize the company's just-announced MobileMe service,

So I guess no MobileMe for Tiger users?
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

So I guess no MobileMe for Tiger users?

Works with 10.4.11, too. I'm guessing there will be a MobileMe install option for those wishing to connect with Tiger, but Leopard will have it built into the point update.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    This is why we need it to snow on our leopard.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Mac OS X 10.5.4 will also be required by Leopard users who wish to utilize the company's just-announced MobileMe service, a collection of online services and software announced at this week's Apple Worldwide Developers Conference as a more capable and advanced replacement for .Mac.

So.. hold on windows users can use Mobile Me with their iPhone/web browser, but unless you have the latest Leopard point update, a Mac user can't!!??

will it not work with Tiger either??

WTF happened to think different, or is this the "different" now-a-days?

or is this just poorly worded AI.. erm I mean badly copy and pasted AI speak.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

So.. hold on windows users can use Mobile Me with their iPhone/web browser, but unless you have the latest Leopard point update, a Mac user can't!!??

will it not work with Tiger either??

WTF happened to think different, or is this the "different" now-a-days?

or is this just poorly worded AI.. erm I mean badly copy and pasted AI speak.

Read a few posts up. The latest Tiger release will be supported.