Apple introduces MobileMe "push" internet service

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    i think this is a great tool for small biz -- get the family pack for a 5 person business. its what i want to do for my business. the key will be getting my domain to work with it, which with a bit of fiddling with reply-to addresses should be possible.
  • Reply 42 of 57
    jsonjson Posts: 54member
    I hope this new service lets me use one of my .Mac, or rather Mobileme, mail aliases as the "from"-adress on the phone (and touch).

On the Mac I can select one of my .Mac alias addresses when sending a mail, but I have not found any way to do the same on the phone/touch....
  • Reply 43 of 57
    the million dollar question, will they let me log in to the web interface in the morning and keep it logged in throughout the day so I can keep an eye on my email all day from work like I do with gmail?

why do they now force me to log out after a few minutes of inactivity with no way of changing that option? I like to have my email open in a tab all day.. this was my reason for planning on dropping .mac in august when my time is up. if they let me do that, I'll probably renew.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    Why don't they have an all in one interface like this for their apps within the OS? It is so much better to have them all there at the top to switch between quickly rather than having four different applications open in the dock, which are all separate. That is why I consider Entourage to be the only Microsoft thing I think is better than Mac in many ways...
  • Reply 45 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loungepop View Post

Why don't they have an all in one interface like this for their apps within the OS? It is so much better to have them all there at the top to switch between quickly rather than having four different applications open in the dock, which are all separate. That is why I consider Entourage to be the only Microsoft thing I think is better than Mac in many ways...

I really hope they will eventually. Like you say, having them all separate is not very Mac-like. I may start using the webbased version after it comes out. Make it my homepage.
  • Reply 46 of 57
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I really hope they will eventually. Like you say, having them all separate is not very Mac-like.

Er, no. 'Mac-like' is having a bunch of small, discrete tools that work well together, but allow others to play in their sandbox, like Mail, Address Book, and iCal. 'MS-like' is having one honking monolithic application that offers you an all-or-nothing approach, and tries to lock everyone else out.

I'll take the three apps over one, any day. Monolithic apps suck.
  • Reply 47 of 57
  • Reply 48 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Er, no. 'Mac-like' is having a bunch of small, discrete tools that work well together, but allow others to play in their sandbox, like Mail, Address Book, and iCal. 'MS-like' is having one honking monolithic application that offers you an all-or-nothing approach, and tries to lock everyone else out.

That's fine if you're just blindly an Apple apologist, but the best thing in my opinion about Apple design is ease of use... Apple is quite proud of providing tools that accomplish the same task but in far less steps, and that is what the interface we are referring to provides. I use my Macs for my business and am clicking iCal, Address Book and Mail constantly... and opening these windows... and switching windows, and minimizing windows... as a result I'm not using iCal or Address Book to their full potential because it's not efficient... it is far SIMPLER and far more efficient to have these applications and their options available in one window within which to work, and these applications can then share data more effectively. Apple's whole thing over Microsoft (and anyone else) is... why have your options four clicks away when you can accomplish everything you need to in one click, right? You're seeing the simplicity of this with this .mac redesign.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

That's fine if you're just blindly an Apple apologist, but the best thing in my opinion about Apple design is ease of use... Apple is quite proud of providing tools that accomplish the same task but in far less steps, and that is what the interface we are referring to provides. I use my Macs for my business and am clicking iCal, Address Book and Mail constantly... and opening these windows... and switching windows, and minimizing windows... as a result I'm not using iCal or Address Book to their full potential because it's not efficient... it is far SIMPLER and far more efficient to have these applications and their options available in one window within which to work, and these applications can then share data more effectively. Apple's whole thing over Microsoft (and anyone else) is... why have your options four clicks away when you can accomplish everything you need to in one click, right? You're seeing the simplicity of this with this .mac redesign.

I will say one thing, Address Book never needed to be it's own app IMO - ever! We could very easily see it getting dissolved into iCal or Mail or etc. in Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 50 of 57
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

That's fine if you're just blindly an Apple apologist...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Okay, since this was obviously a joke, I can ignore the rest, right?
  • Reply 51 of 57
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

EXACTLY! MobileMe Mail Online should show all of my IMAP accounts that I have configured on my computer, not just my mac.com account.

Why should it? MobileMe is your MobileMe account. If you have a GoogleMail account, you will go to mail.google.com.

Are you not just confusing online services with email apps? Your mobileme account will work alongside your Gmail account on Mail.app, as it always did with .Mac in the same way. Same is true of any IMAP-supporting email app on the Mac and PC.

MobileMe online mail application is still webmail. It will only deal with your one account. Perhaps that will change in the future, but it is no different from how .Mac worked.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:

iTunes has become like that. Surely they must be rethinking that one. The name doesn't even make sense any more.
  • Reply 53 of 57
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I will say one thing, Address Book never needed to be it's own app IMO - ever! We could very easily see it getting dissolved into iCal or Mail or etc. in Snow Leopard.

Please god no.

Address Book being separate means it's also usable from accounts software, mailing list software, CRM stuff, Sync software, iWork, iChat.

All you nutbags calling for integrating everything are plainly wrong.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Please god no.

Address Book being separate means it's also usable from accounts software, mailing list software, CRM stuff, Sync software, iWork, iChat.

All you nutbags calling for integrating everything are plainly wrong.

This is a gripe I have with the iPhone Phone app. I want contacts to be its own app, separate from the phone.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

This is a gripe I have with the iPhone Phone app. I want contacts to be its own app, separate from the phone.

I'd expect to see one on the App Store right away.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Yeah. Corruption in one program or preferences can mess things up badly. It's the way the OS is designed as well, to be as "appropriately granular" as possible.

iTunes is a big chunky app but actually not really since it is based on QuickTime which has a lot of modularity to it.

Once iCal goes fully Mobile Me it's going to be good. I never really looked much at 3rd party apps for time organising recently. Maybe that says something about my current lifestyle.
  • Reply 57 of 57
    Bummer, 60-day trial isn't available yet. Can't wait for it though!!