New Iphone 3G Cheaper, better, faster? omg im confused

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hello! i heard about the new Iphone 3G, a friend of mine told me that is WAY cheaper and WAY better, and also twice as fast. is this for real? maybe I buy one then.

PS: would it be possible to jailbreak the Iphone for apps?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    cheaper yes

better - only in terms of the 3g network and GPS

faster - yes, twice as fast in data download speeds

there is no longer a real need to jailbreak, with the appstore coming out with iphone 3g
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I wouldn't say it's cheaper because you pay $200 less up front but then $10/month more for the 3G data plan over 2 years. So it's $40 more?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

I wouldn't say it's cheaper because you pay $200 less up front but then $10/month more for the 3G data plan over 2 years. So it's $40 more?

Really? how do you know that?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phil12345 View Post

cheaper yes

better - only in terms of the 3g network and GPS

faster - yes, twice as fast in data download speeds

there is no longer a real need to jailbreak, with the appstore coming out with iphone 3g

only in terms of the 3g network and GPS

so, actually it isnt better?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    please help
  • Reply 6 of 8
    thttht Posts: 5,608member
    The upfront cost, the first month or initial payment, of the iPhone is now about $190 cheaper. However, monthly service cost is now $10 more expensive than before, so $70 instead of $60 per month. Over the 2 year contract, the total cost of the phone will be about $50 more expensive plus a little bit more depending on taxes and fees.

In other words, for the iPhone EDGE, you had to pony up $399 + $60 + other fees to have it in your possession; then, pay $60 + other fees for the next 23 months. For the iPhone HSDPA, you have to pony up $199 + $70 + other fees; then, pay $70 + other fees for the next 23 months.

So cheaper to get the first month, but more expensive every month thereafter. However, you could get up to a 3x increase in web-browsing speed, so it's a decent value. Of course, if you don't fall in a "3G" zone, you won't get that, so the value of the new phone won't be as great (still better as it will have GPS). If that's the case, I'd really really really would try to negotiate for the old iPhone contract.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iphone3G View Post

Really? how do you know that?

AT&T announced the minimum data plan with the iPhone is $30/month, a $10/month increase over the old iPhone data plan.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iphone3G View Post

so, actually it isnt better?

The CPU isn't better... the phone is basically the same, except they've added GPS and 3G cell-network.

The original iPhone will be able to upgrade it's firmware to take advantage of everything else that is being released with iPhone v2. So while the hardware is slightly improved, iPhone v2 is mostly a software thing... and v1 will be able to take advantage of most of it.