TomTom for iPhone lives; Jobs' true health; green iPhone 3G?

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 90
    xjpxxjpx Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If you recall, the back was not completely aluminium; the bottom part was a black, radio-transparent plastic. It was rumoured long before the photos were around that the back would have to be completely radio transparent to allow for the more complex and sensitive radio in an HSDPA model. This also allows Apple engineers to move the antenna around more freely and should give us better reception. While not bad by any measure, people did expect great reception from a $400 phone.

Yeah, but a $400 on AT&T's network.

Maybe the rest of the country is different, but it seems like the northeast part of the country is hands down Verizon. Offhand there are many office buildings with little to no AT&T coverage, but Verizon phones get limited service in subways. I have no idea if 3G is better, or if this is a CDMA versus GSM thing. The point is that people i know that left Verizon for the iPhone are unpleasantly surprised at how bad AT&T's coverage is. If they didn't love the iPhone, they would probably switch back.
  • Reply 82 of 90
    tcltcl Posts: 18member
    I agree, in fact I know some people who actually returned their iPhones because AT&T coverage is so spotty in South Jersey.

I actually waited for the 3G hoping that the rumor regarding it being opened to additional carriers might prove to be true (though it seemed unlikely given AT&T's 5-year exclusive).

Now it's a bit of a quandry as to whether to do the 3G or continue to wait - either for AT&T's network to improve, or some other alternative/improvement. I don't consider hacking the iPhone a viable alternative as I want to maintain my warranty... not to mention that hacking the phone seems like it will be extremely difficult to pull off with the new activation procedures.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xjpx View Post

Yeah, but a $400 on AT&T's network.

Maybe the rest of the country is different, but it seems like the northeast part of the country is hands down Verizon. Offhand there are many office buildings with little to no AT&T coverage, but Verizon phones get limited service in subways. I have no idea if 3G is better, or if this is a CDMA versus GSM thing. The point is that people i know that left Verizon for the iPhone are unpleasantly surprised at how bad AT&T's coverage is. If they didn't love the iPhone, they would probably switch back.

• Reply 83 of 90
    xjpxxjpx Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcl View Post

I agree, in fact I know some people who actually returned their iPhones because AT&T coverage is so spotty in South Jersey.

I actually waited for the 3G hoping that the rumor regarding it being opened to additional carriers might prove to be true (though it seemed unlikely given AT&T's 5-year exclusive).

Now it's a bit of a quandry as to whether to do the 3G or continue to wait - either for AT&T's network to improve, or some other alternative/improvement. I don't consider hacking the iPhone a viable alternative as I want to maintain my warranty... not to mention that hacking the phone seems like it will be extremely difficult to pull off with the new activation procedures.

1) nobody knows how long AT&T is exclusive with the iPhone. In theory Apple could renew AT&T's exclusive partnership if nobody else offers the same kind of deal. Let's face it, even people that blow off the iPhone can not name another piece of hardware that made people jump carriers like this. Verizon seems to think they can beat the iPhone with something made by LG. It's true that Blackberries outsell iPhones, but everyone has Blackberries and Treos. Even Verizon will have the Palm Centro in the next few weeks (not sure if it will be $99 though?).

2) A hacked iPhone (in the USA) will open you to T-Mobile. Not much better in this region from what i understand. A friend of mine had his AT&T phone break a few months ago and got the freebie replacement clamshell model (was waiting to see what the iPhone2 is like). His cheapo phone has a 3G symbol when he's in a 3G network, though i don't know if he has any access to it. Anyway, that could be an indicator of the 3G network's reach. He often works as a tech in hotels, and often has to go outside to use his phone. I'll have to ask him if he's seeing any improvement now.

Personally i have not jumped to the iPhone (yet?) because of the audio interference of the GSM networks. I do location sound work (reality TV to indie films) and will regularly work 12+ hour days. I *could* put the iPhone in airplane mode, but i can also take a CDMA phone (Verizon/Sprint) and stick it on my sound cart, wrap cables around it, whatever, and i will never have any problems. At&t/T-Mobile phones being too close to my kit will screw up my recordings. It's that noise you will often hear on podcasts, and sometimes TV/NPR type stuff..... or when a phone is laying near your computer speakers and talking to the tower. When i am doing reality TV type work i have to carry everything on me, so the phone will be in close proximity to equipment. Inconvenience aside, iPhone2.0 is looking pretty freakin' compelling. I would even deal with the limited coverage if i didn't have the audio issues. As much as i sometimes dislike Verizon, i really wish they had worked out the deal with Apple.
  • Reply 84 of 90
    lonestar1lonestar1 Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Apple didn't do itself many favours with European developers either by delaying entry for them until some months after US developers were accepted. It'll be a pity if they've lost developers like QuickOffice and Epocware in that signup process.

"Some months"??? Try a couple of weeks. The whole Beta test program is just three months old!

Once again, you need to understand the purpose of a Beta test period. It is not a favor for selected developers. It is a software test program. Period.
  • Reply 85 of 90
    lonestar1lonestar1 Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xjpx View Post

Maybe the rest of the country is different, but it seems like the northeast part of the country is hands down Verizon. Offhand there are many office buildings with little to no AT&T coverage, but Verizon phones get limited service in subways.

Maybe I've been lucky, but my experience with AT&T hasn't been that bad. I don't live in the Northeast, but I have recently visited DC, Pennsylvania, upstate New York, and Boston, and never noticed any problems. Even in Amish country, service seemed to be pretty good.

I never got service on the subway in DC, but I never expected it. Surprisingly, I did get service in some of the Boston subway stations and even briefly on the trains.

The only place I've really had problems was Holloman AFB but that's not too surprising.
  • Reply 86 of 90
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

...without Steve, Apple will be no more, =)

That's not true- look, even KFC survived without Colonel Sanders, Ford motors survived without Henry, the House of Dior - still going strong without Christian.

But I do wish Mr. Jobs the best.
  • Reply 87 of 90
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boss1 View Post

I have a little talked subject to share with you about GreenPeace. The upper levels of that organization could care less about trees . They care about they're pockets , that's their targets are always big business...

Let's all listen to what the illiterate guy has to say!
  • Reply 88 of 90
    boss1boss1 Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Let's all listen to what the illiterate guy has to say!

Given the absurdity of GP's behavior one might be inclined to heed your advice; minus the sarcastic implication. But thanks for pointing out that the quality of my spelling and the level of my frustration with the subject at hand have an inverse relationship. Perhaps you should include something unique to you in your next comment; start with relevant and intelligent.
  • Reply 89 of 90
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lonestar1 View Post

"Some months"??? Try a couple of weeks. The whole Beta test program is just three months old!

The beta program opened to US developers on March 6th. It was open to European Developers 5th May. That in my calendar is 'some months'.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lonestar1 View Post

Once again, you need to understand the purpose of a Beta test period. It is not a favor for selected developers. It is a software test program. Period.

I've been a developer for 26 years, sonny.
  • Reply 90 of 90
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Any idea how many Windows Mobile developers there are?

42...and the market is saturated...