Apple's Mac OS X 10.5.4 to fix nagging shutdown glitch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Works with 10.4.11, too. I'm guessing there will be a MobileMe install option for those wishing to connect with Tiger, but Leopard will have it built into the point update.

Thanks, I obviously missed that.

--Dave
  • Reply 22 of 34
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    I got this nagging issue where I get on my MBP and get no sleep at night. Any chance 10.5.4 will come with a 4 pack of Guinness?
  • Reply 23 of 34
    mr squidmr squid Posts: 58member
    Quote:

I hope you are logging your issues with Apple. Posting here is find for a quick vent and perhaps find a workaround but letting Apple know directly will help ensure that it will eventually be resolved.

I have talked to Apple several times about the the airport problems, and I have always been told that the firmware in the router needs to be updated. They never bother to say how I am supposed to update the firmware in the wireless routers at Starbucks, or elsewhere where I do not have physical control over the router. No, the problem is with Leopard, and Apple needs to accept that and fix it. Leaving a critical issue like this unsolved since last October demonstrates tremendous contempt for their customers.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Squid View Post

No, the problem is with Leopard, and Apple needs to accept that and fix it. Leaving a critical issue like this unsolved since last October demonstrates tremendous contempt for their customers.

The only time I've had an issue with multiple Macs running Leopard and using WiFi with 3rd-party routers was when the multiple singles on the same channel were causing interference. I'm not saying that is your problem or that Apple isn't at fault, i just haven't experienced it myself while using several machines with Leopard in an unknown number of WiFi locations for over a year (been using it since Beta). Have you tried using iStumbler to get a more robust assessment of the router and channel situation when you are having issues? I thought the really old Linksys 802.11b router circa 1999, I think, was the culprit until I used I realized that more routers had popped up in the area and were all vying for the same two channels, 6 and 11. I changed to channel 2 and no longer had issues.

Is this a PPC machine? Is it happening at the same location?
  • Reply 25 of 34
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I've always had sleep/wake issue with all my power/macbooks.

I use the screen lock so I get the double log in all the time. I get some active window under the log in window (i assume) where the keyboard input is going into something other than the log in dialog box. When those things happen I often get the very hard to wake notebook.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    zooto68zooto68 Posts: 4member
    I hope they finally fix the keyboard issue where it misses out the first letter of anything typed if my macbook hasn't been used for a while. This was supposedly fixed in one update but then got broke again in the next one.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:

The only time I've had an issue with multiple Macs running Leopard and using WiFi with 3rd-party routers was when the multiple singles on the same channel were causing interference. I'm not saying that is your problem or that Apple isn't at fault, i just haven't experienced it myself while using several machines with Leopard in an unknown number of WiFi locations for over a year (been using it since Beta.

I can vouch that this is a bug wit leopard. We have up-to-date 3com APs at work. I could connect to them under Tiger, but I cannot connect to them under Leopard. Same with a local starbucks AP.

Apple needs to fix this!!!
  • Reply 28 of 34
    I could connect to my Belkin Router under Tiger but once I upgraded to Leopard it ceased to work. It turned out I needed an experimental ROM flash upgrade from Belkin before it would work with my Macbook.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:

The only time I've had an issue with multiple Macs running Leopard and using WiFi with 3rd-party routers was when the multiple singles on the same channel were causing interference. I'm not saying that is your problem or that Apple isn't at fault, i just haven't experienced it myself while using several machines with Leopard in an unknown number of WiFi locations for over a year (been using it since Beta). Have you tried using iStumbler to get a more robust assessment of the router and channel situation when you are having issues? I thought the really old Linksys 802.11b router circa 1999, I think, was the culprit until I used I realized that more routers had popped up in the area and were all vying for the same two channels, 6 and 11. I changed to channel 2 and no longer had issues.

Is this a PPC machine? Is it happening at the same location?

The problem occurs on PPC machines, and on Intel machines. It only occurs under Leopard. Notebooks running Tiger are do not have this problem. I was a bit unclear earlier. The problem is not with multiple notebooks trying to connect to a network, it is with any given notebook trying to connect to a network, and it happens with ever Leopard notebook that I try, even those with factory-installed operating systems.

It did not occur to me to try and change the channel, but that will only help if I have physical control of the router. It will not help me in a coffee shop, or at a business meeting. Still, it is worth trying it a a friend's and seeing if it helps.

This problem is fundamentally odd because it only happens on certain networks, and it is repeatable. I suspect that what is happening is that Leopard is unable to talk to some routers, perhaps because of a discrepancy between the way that Apple implements 802.11n and the way that various router makers implement it. Or perhaps it is a problem with interoperability between 802.11n and 802.11g. Either way, Apple should be trying to resolve this and not simply telling me to upgrade other people's hardware. In general I have had very good experiences with Apple hardware and software, but this is really souring me on Apple.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zooto68 View Post

I could connect to my Belkin Router under Tiger but once I upgraded to Leopard it ceased to work. It turned out I needed an experimental ROM flash upgrade from Belkin before it would work with my Macbook.

That is fine if you own the router, but what happens if someone encounters this problem in a hotel, or in a cafe, or at a friend's house, or in class? The problem is ultimately with Leopard, so Apple needs to stop pretending that it is not.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

It did not occur to me to try and change the channel, but that will only help if I have physical control of the router. It will not help me in a coffee shop, or at a business meeting. Still, it is worth trying it a a friend's and seeing if it helps.

You can't change hot spot router channels, but you can at least see if multiple routers on the same channel could be confusing Leopard. I think Linksys routers defualt to channel 6 and 11 a lot.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:

That is fine if you own the router, but what happens if someone encounters this problem in a hotel, or in a cafe, or at a friend's house, or in class? The problem is ultimately with Leopard, so Apple needs to stop pretending that it is not.

Oh I agree. I shouldn't have had to do any kind of flash upgrade, it should have worked anyhow.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Since 10.5.3 download When the system is restarted if I click on the desktop I can't get to the finder.

The only fix I can find is Option/Command Escape and click on finder.

After I do that one time, I am OK.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    There have been issues with networking since the Tiger .10 release. I think they just carried over the bad code to Leopard as we saw no changes when we migrated two systems to Leopard. If you don't use security on our router, then you probably don't have a problem. We had to stop using WPA as it would not work. In our case WEP works with the Netgear router, but it is a less secure system. This has been a big enough issue that the City of New York schools suspended deliveries of Apple computers. If Microsoft had had these problems, they would have been on the front page of every newspaper. It is a shame that the technology columnists let Apple get away with this stuff.