Can I do this with an external harddrive?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a couple questions about external hard drives as I've never had one before.

First of all would it be possible, if I purchased one, to have my itunes music library on it rather than on my computer's hard drive. If I did that would it affect playback in any way?

Secondly if the external hard drive is both windows and mac compatible does that mean I could use it to play the same itunes library on my windows partition as well when I boot up in that?

I am aware that it would mean that I would need to have it plugged into my USB to access these things but that really isn't a problem for me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    yvonyvon Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bonustime View Post

I have a couple questions about external hard drives as I've never had one before.

First of all would it be possible, if I purchased one, to have my itunes music library on it rather than on my computer's hard drive. If I did that would it affect playback in any way?

Secondly if the external hard drive is both windows and mac compatible does that mean I could use it to play the same itunes library on my windows partition as well when I boot up in that?

I am aware that it would mean that I would need to have it plugged into my USB to access these things but that really isn't a problem for me.

I have on pluged on my airport exterme. I acces it wireless. All my music is on it. I have no poblems to listen to music or even watch video.

Make sure you set itunes so it doesn't import all the songs on your computer.

To make it accessible for both mac and windows make sure you format it in fat32. That's what I did with mine. It work well.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

... would it be possible, if I purchased one, to have my itunes music library on it rather than on my computer's hard drive. If I did that would it affect playback in any way?

You can store your iTunes library anywhere - just hold the OPTION key down as you launch iTunes and a dialog box will pop up asking you to choose it's location. (On Windows it'd be the ALT key.) If, for whatever reason that external drive might not be available, that dialog will pop up automatically asking you 'Where Da Tunez??"
  • Reply 3 of 3
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

I have done this with my setup and it worked fine. The only issue I ran into was when sharing my music to my Tivo. The Tivo browser that accessed the iTunes library was unable to play the music, though it could see the entire library. It turned out that the Tivo browser was appending a 1 to the drive name when trying to play the songs. Since there was no drive with that name (with the added 1) it couldn't find the song to play. Only happened with external drives.