iPod touch supplies seeing shortages, changes due by September

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    either they will bite the bullet and if the iPhone costs $100 to manu, that might put the iPodTouch at less than $75 and charge $150 for it, which I would pay.

or

they simply will wait until nobody wants the iPodTouch and kill it.

Either way I suspect no one is going to pay $249 for an IPT if the more capable phone is $199

I hope they reposition it, I fear they will just kill it.
  • Reply 22 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's funny that prior to the iPhone, 1/8th to 1/16th of one GB was the most common amount Flash built into a phone. 4 or 8GB was a lot to put into a phone and now 16GB isn't enough. Amazing how quickly our clture resets the bar for electronics.

First of all, you make that sound like a negative thing. It really isn't.

Second of all, apple WANTS us to have higher capacities on our devices. They're enabling iPhones and iPods to not only play music, but movies, TV shows, games etc. , and also have created a business of delivering that content. They will sell more devices and more content with more capacity in these devices. A jump to 32 gigs would be logical for the next iphone update, costs permitting.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by themoonisdown09 View Post

Why would you want to buy the iPhone if you're going to use it as an iTouch? The only reason the iPhone is $200 is because of the contract subsidy. If they did let you buy it without a contract, you would end up paying $400.

Where do you see that? The list price is as given. All cellphone list price are as given- if there is a subsidy it is stated. Clearly what you say is speculation- how do you know this price is the real price?
  • Reply 24 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

either they will bite the bullet and if the iPhone costs $100 to manu.

That is one assumed price of the components, not the manufacturing costs. NOor does it include: research, development, shipping or advertising.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by craigciccone View Post

First of all, you make that sound like a negative thing. It really isn't.

Second of all, apple WANTS us to have higher capacities on our devices. They're enabling iPhones and iPods to not only play music, but movies, TV shows, games etc. , and also have created a business of delivering that content. They will sell more devices and more content with more capacity in these devices. A jump to 32 gigs would be logical for the next iphone update, costs permitting.

I said "it was funny", I did not mean to imply it to be negative or positive. It's a characteristic of humanity, but I'd say it's a positive aspect of our nature that we continually strive for something better.

That would be the next step for the iPhone, but as capacity of SSD doubles exponentially?something we didn't have with HDDs?the time between viable costs seems to be expanding. While 32GB should be available in about 6 months, how long before 128GB or 256GB or 512GB become available at the same pricepoint? I asked it earlier in this thread as post script but I'll pose it again: "Could Apple use a special SSD controller chip that could balance data storage and retrieval across multiple lower [capacity] SSDs? For instance, offer 48GB model inthe iPod Touch come the fall as 3x16GB SSD (potentially at a lower [manufacturing cost] than one 32GB SSD) that would be transparent to the user?"
  • Reply 25 of 51
    Going to wait and see.

Tough to wait but, just found out where I work we are evaluating the iPhone. No idea (ie doubt it) if it will fly but, will certainly try to get on the pilot.
  • Reply 26 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePreacher View Post

I am waiting a couple a months to buy an new iPhone. I believe they will come out with a top of the line model that will include some the earlier speculations such as 32GB HD and a possible frontside iSight for iChat conferences. I have bought products from Apple at release dates only to have a better product come a couple of months later, so I will let the dust settle before making the purchase.

As far as the iPod Touch is concerned, I believe they will either upgrade it significantly or phase out the 8GB model as they did with the 4GB iPhone. With all the new technology showing up everyday, you cane be sure Apple will do something innovative with it.

By the way, I own a 32GB iPod touch and think it would easy to install this chip set into an iPhone.

I think you'll be waiting for a long time if you're expecting an iPhone Pro 3G...
  • Reply 27 of 51
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Perhaps around September we'll see a 64GB iPod touch followed by a 32GB iPhone.

No way. =) I wish!

Apple doesnt rush this fast.

Apple have to drop a price of iPod Touch just by little bit, maybe by $40. That can be accomplished with dropping the metal back and, just like iPhone, making it color plastic.

I can see BLACK, WHITE and (RED) being made.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    popnfreshpopnfresh Posts: 139member
    Lehman Bros. is assuming that the iPhone and Touch markets are interchangeable, but they're wrong. The Touch will not be cannibalized to a significant degree by the advent of a cheaper iPhone. Few people who are interested in the Touch will see a $200 iPhone with an entry level plan of $70/month for 24 months as a viable alternative. And this is assuming that they'd entertain the idea of buying a cell phone at all. Whatever genius at Lehman came up with this analysis is getting paid way too much.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

Lehman Bros. is assuming that the iPhone and Touch markets are interchangeable, but they're wrong. The Touch will not be cannibalized to a significant degree by the advent of a cheaper iPhone. Few people who are interested in the Touch will see a $200 iPhone with an entry level plan of $70/month for 24 months as a viable alternative. And this is assuming that they'd entertain the idea of buying a cell phone at all. Whatever genius at Lehman came up with this analysis is getting paid way too much.

What about the iPhone cannibalizing a cell phone -AND- a PMP. I used to carry an iPod w/ Video (Classic) for portable movie watching and music &a cell phone. Or an iPod Mini/Nano for the gym and a cell phone. Now I only have an iPod Shuffle (for the gym) and an iPhone (for everything else portable. From my experience, there is self-cannibalizing going on.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Apple have to drop a price of iPod Touch just by little bit, maybe by $40. That can be accomplished with dropping the metal back and, just like iPhone, making it color plastic.

Eh? That'll save them cents, not dollars, and it will be thicker.

/Adrian
  • Reply 31 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Eh? That'll save them cents, not dollars, and it will be thicker.

No need it for when the BT and WiFi are the only antennae, plus it can help differentiate the models.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

Speaking as someone who owns a Touch but would almost certainly buy a 3G iPhone as my next purchase (or if I were making the same purchase today), I think you're dead wrong. I already have a cellphone plan that I could replace with the iPhone one. Yes, the iPhone one is a little bit more expensive than the one I have to today, but the additional capabilities are through the roof.

They are, in fact, the same market. So much so that I don't understand why iPhone sales numbers are not included in iPod sales numbers when analysts talking about one cannibalizing the other. Why separate them?
  • Reply 33 of 51
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    Quote:

The sudden spike in orders for the device, which is given away for free to students when bought with a new Mac, may be surging ahead of demand.

How does that make sense? Wouldn't the "sudden spike" be demand itself? How is it possible for orders to be higher than demand?

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 34 of 51
    It is time for me to upgrade from my 4th gen ipod (not the photo) to an ipod Touch. I want to know more about what you can do with Word & Excel etc with it.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Speaking as someone who owns a Touch but would almost certainly buy a 3G iPhone as my next purchase (or if I were making the same purchase today), I think you're dead wrong. I already have a cellphone plan that I could replace with the iPhone one. Yes, the iPhone one is a little bit more expensive than the one I have to today, but the additional capabilities are through the roof.

They are, in fact, the same market. So much so that I don't understand why iPhone sales numbers are not included in iPod sales numbers when analysts talking about one cannibalizing the other. Why separate them?

I think you're in the minority among potential Touch customers.

There's every reason to separate the two product lines. The iPhone is a cell phone with an internet enabled media player built-in, and it requires a 2-year contract. The Touch is an internet enabled media player only and it costs zero dollars per month to use it. The 3G iPhone will cost at least $200 + $1680 over 2 years, bringing the total cost of ownership to $1880. The Touch currently starts at $300 + $0. Over 2 years the Touch costs $1580 less than the cheapest 3G iPhone combined with the cheapest rate plan. Also, Apple's own accounting department separates the two products. The iPhone is a subscription supported device, whereas the Touch is not. That's why it will cost Touch owners $10 for the Firmware 2.0 upgrade, but for iPhone owners it's free.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    knowltonknowlton Posts: 11member
    I think there will defiantly be a upgrade to the iTouch and maybe an upgrade to the iPhone capacity. Not expecting an upgrade of hardware (Front Camera) for the iPhone because that would be a infuriate release date buyers and be a repeat of last years 100 rebate.

They may increas the capacity of the itouch to 64 GB but seems like that would be about it. Unless I think they may release a smaller version of the iTouch much like the Nano.

http://www.iphonefreak.com/2008/06/d...chscreens.html
  • Reply 37 of 51
    I can see a mid-cycle bump in capacity for the 3G iPhone. That's one good reason to wait if you're a current iPhone owner. However, I will sit out this iPhone generation entirely. I'm a current iPhone owner, and for me it's just not better enough. I can't justify paying a higher monthy rate for it. Next summer's iPhone is bound to be a more mature and compelling product. This year's 3G feels too much like the result of trying to get a 3G model out the door as quickly as possible.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

For $100 you can do that with the computer you already have: wirelessly over Airport Express.

My computer is in the basement, my stereo in the living room. With AirPort Express I'd have to run down a flight of stairs every time I wanted to select another song. With an iPod hooked up to the stereo I just press a button.

Regarding iPhone in Canada you can bet that Rogers won't let you have one without a contract. We live in the only country in the world where 3 year contracts and $7/month system access fees per phone are normal. A $35 couples plan actually costs more than $50 before tax. I call it misleading advertising, but most people seem content to be taken to the cleaners.

Now about the Touch I agree with people who say it's looking expensive now. I understand the argument that the iPhone cost is the sum of purchase price + contract price whereas the Touch is simply purchase price. However, I believe a more appropriate comparison is iPhone with contract versus Touch + competitor's basic phone with contract. The total cost of ownership is much closer when you look at it from that perspective.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

It is time for me to upgrade from my 4th gen ipod (not the photo) to an ipod Touch. I want to know more about what you can do with Word & Excel etc with it.

With the upcoming update you'll be able to view all office and iWork documents. No editing though. There will certainly be some paid-for (and hopefully free) apps on the AppStore though...
  • Reply 40 of 51
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Not when Apple is giving one away free to every student buyer of a Mac. The whole purpose of the promotion is probably to deplete inventory of both Macs and iPods prior to a refresh.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Isn't is a little early for iTouch shortages? We're pretty confident Apple will update in September as always...

-Clive