iPod on long road downhill as iPhone halo effect kicks in

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ambrose Bierce View Post

I'm waiting for the day when all you need is a touch with voip (skype?)..we will all be a lot better off when Apple gets out of bed with the phone companies. I have to say the ATT deal reeks of greed, Apple has survived by being a maverick company. Maybe those days are gone, but the long-term benefits of playing to its user base instead of big business will pay off. I only hope Apple hasn't forgotten who got them where they are.

The SDK permits VoIP with WiFi. I expect Skype will be ready pretty quickly with an app, though I cant find any information as to whether they are one of the 4000+ developers. But I would imagine so with their PC and Mac development and as it will help sell more units in the EU, where Skype seems to be huge.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by siaubas View Post

I couldn't agree more. This "analyst" is on crack. Ten years from now we could have portable devices built in out heads, or someone else coming out with a phone/mp3 player killer.

Now that I think about it a bit more, the whole crux of this analyst's argument is the iPhone. Two whole years ago, the iPhone didn't exist yet. What's going to come out the next two years that's going to destroy everyone's predictions?
  • Reply 23 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperMog2002 View Post

Now that I think about it a bit more, the whole crux of this analyst's argument is the iPhone. Two whole years ago, the iPhone didn't exist yet. What's going to come out the next two years that's going to destroy everyone's predictions?

I'm still waiting for the Dick Tracy wristband iphone, hell, throw in a speed radar detecter to keep those chippies of my ass!
  • Reply 24 of 70
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

Well, the problem is now that the iPhone is too cheap, it's definitely gonna cannibalize some iPod sales. Apple seriously needs to bring down the iPod Touch price. No wonder they're giving them away in the back-to-school promo, they need to generate interest in them now that they're basically a stripped down and more expensive iPhone (except for the 32GB model of course, which offers the extra storage the 16GB iPhone doesn't).

iPod Touch = $299

iPhone = $199 + $70 x 24 = $1879

As you can see, If somebody only wants a music player that is touch capable, the iPod touch will cost them significantly less than an iPhone.
  • Reply 25 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

With all the hype concerning the $199 iphone, I still can't figure out if there is any country where you will be able to buy an unlocked one for this price.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    Quote:

relatively few iPhone owners outside of the US are likely to already own iPods and will thus be exposed to Apple's products for the first time, filling in where the iPod stopped short.

I've read over this sentence a million times and it still doesn't make sense to me.

If you have an iPod are you not more likely to buy an iPhone. Also it sounds as if he is saying, few people outside the US with iPhones have iPods and will therefore be exposed to Apple products for the first time.

These Analyst reports are filled with sentences that Stephen Hawking couldn't make sense of!
  • Reply 27 of 70
    Quote:

With all the hype concerning the $199 iphone, I still can't figure out if there is any country where you will be able to buy an unlocked one for this price.

Not even close for many reasons. The $199 price is a subsidized price, the import taxes and VAT raise the price considerably, and there are already countries listing a much higher price for the unlocked iPhone.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ninja_Monkey View Post

I've read over this sentence a million times and it still doesn't make sense to me.

If you have an iPod are you not more likely to buy an iPhone. Also it sounds as if he is saying, few people outside the US with iPhones have iPods and will therefore be exposed to Apple products for the first time.

These Analyst reports are filled with sentences that Stephen Hawking couldn't make sense of!

It sounds like he is saying that with the iPhone launch in 78 countries by year end. The iPhone will make it to places where the iPod is not.. At least, I think thats what he's saying.
  • Reply 29 of 70
    Quote:

It sounds like he is saying that with the iPhone launch in 78 countries by year end. The iPhone will make it to places where the iPod is not.. At least, I think thats what he's saying.

Too bad the ipod hasn't covered the globe first. I still believe there are millions of people in the world who would buy an ipod before they would an iPhone.
  • Reply 30 of 70
    Quote:

Too bad the ipod hasn't covered the globe first. I still believe there are millions of people in the world who would buy an ipod before they would an iPhone.

In the past year Apple has sold 6 million iPhones and approximately 50 million iPods, so yes, you're absolutely correct. I don't think anyone questions that fact.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    I am deeply suspicious of any analyst who rolls out the old cannibalization saw about how Company X's product A cannibalizing their own product B is a bad thing. It smacks of off-the-shelf fill-in-the-blanks canned research. I can almost see him going through the standard checklist of research talking points and checking the cannibalization box as he goes along.

Let me go through the routine again: iPhone cannibalizing iPod sales is a good thing for Apple because thatt means it's not RIM or Nokia or Samsung or whoever who is cannibalizing iPod sales. If your products are not cannibalizing each other at all then that means you are leaving a gap in your product line through which your competitor can enter and cannibalize your products.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

"Our previous shipment forecast was unrealistically high," Wolf says.

Now, there's an analyst, i. e. someone not mixing wishful thinking with FACTS.

• Reply 33 of 70
    davesmalldavesmall Posts: 118member
    Quote:

iPod Touch = $299 iPhone = $199 + $70 x 24 = $1879 As you can see, If somebody only wants a music player that is touch capable, the iPod touch will cost them significantly less than an iPhone.

Don't forget that an iPhone with 16GB of flash memory is priced at $299 not $199. Someone planning to use their new iPhone as a music player replacement will be likely to give Apple that additional $100 premium. The 16 GB model will be a far better iPod substitute than the 8 GB model. It will also have a much higher margin for Apple.

I currently have both an iPhone and a click wheel 5th generation iPod. I'll probably replace both with a 16 GB 3G iPhone.

But I don't see the iPhone as primarily a phone or an MP3 player. For me it is first and foremost a mobile web device. It's a stock quotes machine. It's a real-time traffic map machine. It's a source of news bulletins. It's Google maps (soon to include GPS). It's Gmail. It's a portable WiFi hotspot finder. Voice communications is perhaps the 5th or 6th reason to own one. Music playing maybe 7th or 8th.

I think nearly everyone would rather have an iPhone than an iPod Touch. But that minimum $70 per month AT&T contract is a hard one to swallow. Rather than cannibalize iPhone sales, the iPhone will create a market for the iPod Touch. And it will be a huge market. The iPod Touch is the thing to buy if you're someone who would really like to own an iPhone but really can't afford that AT&T monthly contract. There are going to be lots of customers in that category.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    Quote:

iPod Touch = $299

As you can see, If somebody only wants a music player that is touch capable, the iPod touch will cost them significantly less than an iPhone.

That is all true, but there are several other factors to consider. Most people are already paying for a cell phone that probably does do the internet in any usable fashion and probably hate their current cellphone. I know I have paid any average of $50-60/month for service over the years and that didn't include anything fancy or excessive. Paying an extra $20 over their current iPhone bill for a phoen they like, a consolidation of their iPod and phone into one, the use of the internet, and the (pending) consolidation of a standalone GPS unit. Those may make it a much better choice than an iPod Touch, crappy cellphone with no worthwhile internet access, and a (pending) GPS unit.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    davesmalldavesmall Posts: 118member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is all true, but there are several other factors to consider. Most people are already paying for a cell phone that probably does do the internet in any usable fashion and probably hate their current cellphone. I know I have paid any average of $50-60/month for service over the years and that didn't include anything fancy or excessive. Paying an extra $20 over their current iPhone bill for a phoen they like, a consolidation of their iPod and phone into one, the use of the internet, and the (pending) consolidation of a standalone GPS unit. Those may make it a much better choice than an iPod Touch, crappy cellphone with no worthwhile internet access, and a (pending) GPS unit.

I think you are exactly correct. The decision to get an iPhone is pretty much a no-brainer when you are already paying $50-60 per month for a crappy phone.

But what if you are the "dad", have a family of five, and everyone in the family wants their own iPhone. Each person wants one for different reasons. The kids want it mainly for social networking and music playing.

Unless AT&T comes out with an attractive family plan you're unlikely to purchase 5 iPhones with 5 IPhone two year contracts. The kids may be getting an iPod Touch for Xmas.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    And that's when Apple will introduce next killer iProduct.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    Quote:

Understood.... My post was simply to explain the difference in price from the person who said the touch is too expensive compared to the iPhone.. If you need phone and internet, by all means get an iPhone.. If you want only an iPod.. The touch is the much cheaper way to go despite the initial lower cost of the iPhone..

Also, the GPS is nice and all, but without text to voice and the ability to speak turn by turn directions, I don't think it will replace the Garmins and Tom-Toms any time soon. The iPhone GPS requires too much user interaction to be used safely (and legally in California) while driving..
  • Reply 38 of 70
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Frankly Apple still has an opportunity to blow iPhone 2. If people see it as being way to restrictive with respect to Android platforms Apple will have a lot of catching up to do.

Dave

Its hilarious to see people sing the doom of iPhone because it doesn't fulfill the wishes of every last developer.

For the ones who count (the actual purchasers) there will be more great applications coming at them than they know what to do with. And finding/installing them will be easier than any other platform (and I'll wager that includes Android-based apps.)

Gab by developers on this list reminds me of Washington insider talking heads who think the world stops and ends at the Potomac and don't have a clue what's going on in the rest of the country.

BTW, how is that Apple has to 'catch up' with something that doesn't even exist in the wild yet?
  • Reply 39 of 70
    charelcharel Posts: 93member
    Quote:

The SDK permits VoIP with WiFi. I expect Skype will be ready pretty quickly with an app, though I cant find any information as to whether they are one of the 4000+ developers. But I would imagine so with their PC and Mac development and as it will help sell more units in the EU, where Skype seems to be huge.

eBay owns Skype, and was even featured in the WWDC's presentation. Expect a Skype application soon, but only if Apple allows it.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charel View Post

eBay owns Skype, and was even featured in the WWDC's presentation. Expect a Skype application soon, but only if Apple allows it.

I bet AT&T will try to block any chance of having a Skype App on the iPhone. I am not sure how much influence AT&T has on Apple. I hope none...