Montevina MBP MB Speculation Thread

Comments

• Reply 41 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alxths View Post

Is there really any need to make the MBP any thinner? An inch is a nice round number, and I feel like they could take the extra space and improve heat dissipation and hopefully fit a 9600m in there.

Definetly a good option
  • Reply 42 of 189
    So basically,

We should expect an update to the MBP sometime in July?

I'm looking to update my 17" Powerbook 1.67Ghz in a few weeks

but I can go ahead and wait a little bit for this update.

If not I'll be happy with the 15" 2.4Ghz model.

As it is now...

The 15" 2.4Ghz sounds like a good deal at 2k's

Is there a reason to pay $500 more for the 2.5Ghz model over the 2.4Ghz?

What you guys think?

thanks for your help,

Charles
  • Reply 43 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mastersonics View Post

So basically,

As it is now...

What you guys think?

thanks for your help,

Charles

The chipset will be out in July...MBP will be out in August/September.

What I want answered is...

Will the free itouch still be offered when the MBP is released? It's going on until Sept 15...

...Mac always releases around August/Early Sept.

Seems crazy to offer an itouch with an already new computer system.

What say you?
  • Reply 44 of 189
    hfuhfu Posts: 55member
    Quote:

Since you waited quite some time for this upgrade, it's best you wait at least until August 08 and see if Apple will release new Montevina MBP. If no update after August 08, your fall back plan would be just buying the current 15" MBP.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikeddemus View Post

Seems crazy to offer an itouch with an already new computer system.

What say you?

Apple has done that before during Santa Rosa MBP with LED screen update back in June 5th, 2007 while the promotion was going on. It wouldn't be surprised if Apple will do that again in the future.
  • Reply 45 of 189
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

So basically,

As it is now...

What you guys think?

thanks for your help,

Charles

I strongly recommend you to get the 8600M GT with 512MB. VRAM is good if you are doing video editing, particularly future-proofing for 3D apps, Core Image/ OpenCL driven apps, and PC/Mac/Crossover gaming. 2.5ghz 15" :-)
  • Reply 46 of 189
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I strongly recommend you to get the 8600M GT with 512MB. VRAM is good if you are doing video editing, particularly future-proofing for 3D apps, Core Image/ OpenCL driven apps, and PC/Mac/Crossover gaming. 2.5ghz 15" :-)

hmm, barefeats doesn't show much difference between the 512 and 256mb versions of the 8600GT:

http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp02.html
  • Reply 47 of 189
    512MB is pretty much a waste for the 8600 GT's gimptastic engine.
  • Reply 48 of 189
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikeddemus View Post

What I want answered is...

Will the free itouch still be offered when the MBP is released? It's going on until Sept 15...

What say you?

I say It's an iPod Touch!

Didn't we do this one a few days ago, for the nth time
  • Reply 49 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

I say It's an iPod Touch!

Didn't we do this one a few days ago, for the nth time

Itouch

itouch

iTouch

ITOUCH

and i never got an answer. I got snobs like you who think you're special because you memorize what the MacStore calls each object.

eat me.
  • Reply 50 of 189
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    When do you think we will see a quad-core MBP with a blu-ray burner?
  • Reply 51 of 189
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mello View Post

When do you think we will see a quad-core MBP with a blu-ray burner?

Since quad-core mobile chips are scheduled for Q2 2009 (Q1 if you're lucky) and since Apple usually takes its time with using brand new mobile chips, I'd say August/September 2009 is a good bet.

If we are extremely lucky and all things fall perfectly into place we might get something like this in February/March 2009, but I wouldn't bet anything on this.

So in little more than a year from today, that's realistic I'd say.
  • Reply 52 of 189
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Since quad-core mobile chips are scheduled for Q2 2009 (Q1 if you're lucky) and since Apple usually takes its time with using brand new mobile chips, I'd say August/September 2009 is a good bet.

If we are extremely lucky and all things fall perfectly into place we might get something like this in February/March 2009, but I wouldn't bet anything on this.

So in little more than a year from today, that's realistic I'd say.

Intel will have quad-core mobile chips on the market in Q4 of this year. They just won't be Nehalem until mid-2009.
  • Reply 53 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Intel will have quad-core mobile chips on the market in Q4 of this year. They just won't be Nehalem until mid-2009.

True, but what is still unclear is whether these non-Nehalem quad-cores are rated 45W or 35W.

Most seem to agree that 45W would be out of the question even for a 17" MBP since it runs too hot. It's suited only for 'mobile desktop' class machines.

The 35W part could just about be OK, but we don't know if that really happens, if Intel can pull this off in large enough quantities.

But then on the other hand why bother? Nehalem can run 2 threads simultaneously in one core, so with a dual core Nehalem you get 4 threads running concurrently, as many as in a quad-core Penryn which might not even happen at 35W.

What you really want is a quad-core Nehalem with 8 concurrent threads.
  • Reply 54 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KamiNoYadoru View Post

512MB is pretty much a waste for the 8600 GT's gimptastic engine.

More video RAM is good for people who use large textures. So, if you're thinking of running a 30" or even 23-24" external monitor on your MBP, then go for the 512MB. If all you use is the internal display then it's a waste.
  • Reply 55 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

What you really want is a quad-core Nehalem with 8 concurrent threads.

What I really want is a pair of eight-core Nehalems running a total of 32 threads. I've got videos to encode
  • Reply 56 of 189
    Quote:

What I really want is a pair of eight-core Nehalems running a total of 32 threads. I've got videos to encode

Oh yes!

But that's not gonna happen in a MacBook Pro for at least another 3 years.

If you're lucky Mac Pros could be there somewhere this time next year! I fully expect quad-core Nehalem Mac Pros no later than Mac World 2009 and octo-core Nehalems about a year later.

Seems like the performance gap between mobile and desktop computers is going to widen again.
  • Reply 57 of 189
    Nehalem generation will certainty be a great for desktop (Mac Pro) update during 2009, but not a very good option for mobile platform until Nehalem refresh (Westmere, 25W~35W) 32nm in H1 2010. That's the mobile Nehalem to wait for!

Before all processor update take place, let's hope we get DDR3L as option for Montenvina update. DDR3L is lowered to 1.35V from 1.5V according to JEDEC, another 20% saving in power. Source
  • Reply 58 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HFU View Post

Nehalem generation will certainty be a great for desktop (Mac Pro) update during 2009, but not a very good option for mobile platform until Nehalem refresh (Westmere, 25W~35W) 32nm in H1 2010. That's the mobile Nehalem to wait for!

Before all processor update take place, let's hope we get DDR3L as option for Montenvina update. DDR3L is lowered to 1.35V from 1.5V according to JEDEC, another 20% saving in power. Source

But the effect on total system power consumption is tiny, and DDR3 prices are insane compared to DDR2.
  • Reply 59 of 189
    Quote:

... and DDR3 prices are insane compared to DDR2.

DDR3 price will drop soon as Intel is subsidizing the cost to push PC manufactures migrate to DDR3. Additionally, it is cheaper to manufacture DDR3 now. Expect DDR3 price to fall within 10% of DDR2 price as mobile platforms pick up.
  • Reply 60 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HFU View Post

DDR3 price will drop soon as Intel is subsidizing the cost to push PC manufactures migrate to DDR3. Additionally, it is cheaper to manufacture DDR3 now. Expect DDR3 price to fall within 10% of DDR2 price as mobile platforms pick up.

Do you have a link that says Intel will be subsidizing RAM? Of course the demand will be increasing dramatically over the next 12 months, and with it the supply, causing prices to eventually fall when the demand levels off. But that shafts the early adopters.