Upgrad OS using OS from a newer computer

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just bought a new MacBook that came preloaded with Leopard. My iMac that I've had for awhile has Mac OS X Tiger installed. Is there a way to upgrade Tiger to Leopard using a hard dive backup from my new computer? As in, if I make a clone of my hard drive from my MacBook running Leopard, can I then go to my iMac and boot into Leopard and use it there permanatly? This question is causing some dissention in my office and we'd really like to figure this out. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shutterrelease View Post

I just bought a new MacBook that came preloaded with Leopard. My iMac that I've had for awhile has Mac OS X Tiger installed. Is there a way to upgrade Tiger to Leopard using a hard dive backup from my new computer? As in, if I make a clone of my hard drive from my MacBook running Leopard, can I then go to my iMac and boot into Leopard and use it there permanatly? This question is causing some dissention in my office and we'd really like to figure this out. Thanks

I wouldn't count on it working. Go a head and try.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shutterrelease View Post

... This question is causing some dissention in my office and we'd really like to figure this out. Thanks

Someone needs to find another place to work. This question has been asked and answered on this forum too many times to count. The OS that ships with a Mac is specific to that model Mac. It cannot be used to upgrade a different model. If your older computer has MacOS X 10.5.x installed, the Software Update will update it to MacOS X 10.5.3. If your older computer has MacOS X 10.4.x or an older version installed and you want to update to MacOS X 10.5.3, then you need a retail version of the OS.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Someone needs to find another place to work. This question has been asked and answered on this forum too many times to count. The OS that ships with a Mac is specific to that model Mac. It cannot be used to upgrade a different model. If your older computer has MacOS X 10.5.x installed, the Software Update will update it to MacOS X 10.5.3. If your older computer has MacOS X 10.4.x or an older version installed and you want to update to MacOS X 10.5.3, then you need a retail version of the OS.

I figured as much. sorry to bring up a question that has already been asked. Sometimes it can be quite difficult to find what your looking for. People have a tendency to ramble on about off subject issues. I also understand there are morality issues with a question like this as well. I'm of the just buy the dang thing pursuasion. Its usually easier. Is that how you spell that...