iPhone 3G 32gig this September?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I have an 8gig iphone and the only draw back in my mind is the limited capacity. I don't think 16gigs is quite enough either, and I'm fairly certain they'll bump the capacities along side of iPod refreshes in September just as they did last year. Does anyone else feel this is a strong possibility?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Not so sure. 32 GB flash memory is pretty expensive still. I don't expect it to get cheaper until Oct to Dec. So, the time frame is like last year, January for flash storage increase.

Apple can increase the storage in iPod touches by using multiple 16 GB flash packages. They already have 2 of those in the 32 GB iPod touch. They would have to make it thicker to make room for 2 more, which would get it to 64 GB (for $500 too).
  • Reply 2 of 7
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by craigciccone View Post

I have an 8gig iphone and the only draw back in my mind is the limited capacity. I don't think 16gigs is quite enough either, and I'm fairly certain they'll bump the capacities along side of iPod refreshes in September just as they did last year. Does anyone else feel this is a strong possibility?

Umm.......no dude....no.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    What THT wrote. Until 32 GB is available as a single chip (I'm not sure that it is yet), Apple will hold off on offering it in the iPhone. What's the big deal with managing your library anyway?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:

Of course you know your stuff best but I have 11 hour long videos and one 2 hour video on my 16 GB iphone plus music and I still have 8 GB left. Try getting on what you can.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

IMHO I think the 8GB and 16GB are going to be "it". The first time around Apple made a mistake by releasing the 4GB. The people wanted more, so they scrapped the 4GB. Then the 8GB was sufficient for most people. However, there was many people who wanted a bit more, so the 16GB satisfied them.

Well this is Apple's second time around and if there was enough people that wanted 32 GB, then thats what they would make. The fact of the matter is that they needed something with a price-point of $199 to compete with the other phones, so theres the 8GB and the 16GB at $299 satisfies most other people that need the extra room. There obviously isn't "enough" people needing the 32GB.

If there was such a high demand for more capacity, don't you think Apple would have scrapped the 8GB before the intro? 8GB is great for most people. I know about 20 people with iPhones and most of them are using from 2GB to 7GB, with a couple people at 11GB. IMHO; 8GB/16GB is more than adequate for most. And this coming from somebody that has 24.6GB in iTunes just in music alone.\

This is just my opinion, so I'm sorry if I broke anybody's hopes and dreams.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

IMHO I think the 8GB and 16GB are going to be "it". The first time around Apple made a mistake by releasing the 4GB. The people wanted more, so they scrapped the 4GB. Then the 8GB was sufficient for most people. However, there was many people who wanted a bit more, so the 16GB satisfied them.

Well this is Apple's second time around and if there was enough people that wanted 32 GB, then thats what they would make. The fact of the matter is that they needed something with a price-point of $199 to compete with the other phones, so theres the 8GB and the 16GB at $299 satisfies most other people that need the extra room. There obviously isn't "enough" people needing the 32GB.

If there was such a high demand for more capacity, don't you think Apple would have scrapped the 8GB before the intro? 8GB is great for most people. I know about 20 people with iPhones and most of them are using from 2GB to 7GB, with a couple people at 11GB. IMHO; 8GB/16GB is more than adequate for most. And this coming from somebody that has 24.6GB in iTunes just in music alone.\

This is just my opinion, so I'm sorry if I broke anybody's hopes and dreams.

Of course that was before people start adding apps on. I'm afraid that is going to start eating up a lot more memory.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Don't apologize man! You're opinion matches that of so many satisfied-but-wanting-more consumers. Apple has the "size" issues in mind and resolved for all but those who will not compromise.

After growing up with Apple since the "Classic" I want Apple to be sooo... much more and it's frustrating to me that after many years of wanting them but choosing cheaper PC's that emulate Macs that I find that Apple still has to play politics.

So many people would love for Apple to be above all of this and more...

Size doesn't matter to me nor does it matter to other like minded consumers like me because we know that the storage issues aren't the biggest concerns of most consumers. Just... I don't know... I know apple has to play the game and I'm sure that there are back room deals in the works but... It's nice to see your fellow man (Apple in this case) "rise above" all of that crap and spread the resulting options around... Sooner than later. And enough of this "Spend X amount of $ now then spend half of that in a few months just to fund ATTingular's EDGE expansion.