iPod touch supplies seeing shortages, changes due by September

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Logically iPhone pricing shouldn't affect iPod touch pricing unless AT&T is also paying a $200 subsidy on the iPod touch. The iPhone is actually much more expensive over the life of the contract.

Yes, some people don't seem to get that. Part of the cost of the iPhone is subsidized by the two year contract you are paying to AT&T. Therefore the lower cost of the iPhone should have no effect on the iPod Touch because the iPod Touch isn't being subsidized.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePreacher View Post

I am waiting a couple a months to buy an new iPhone. I believe they will come out with a top of the line model that will include some the earlier speculations such as 32GB HD and a possible frontside iSight for iChat conferences. I have bought products from Apple at release dates only to have a better product come a couple of months later, so I will let the dust settle before making the purchase.

As far as the iPod Touch is concerned, I believe they will either upgrade it significantly or phase out the 8GB model as they did with the 4GB iPhone. With all the new technology showing up everyday, you cane be sure Apple will do something innovative with it.

By the way, I own a 32GB iPod touch and think it would easy to install this chip set into an iPhone.

I love how you speak from a position of authority because you purchased a product.

I own a remote controlled helicopter and I think it would be easy to use that technology to make a flying car.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Unless you don't have any cell phone (rare these days), the iTouch really is more expensive. You'll be paying your cellphone provider whether you have an iPhone or some other phone, but if you get an iPhone they knock $200 of the price. That makes the iPhone cheaper than the iTouch, which isn't subsidized and would have to be purchased along with paying for whatever cellphone you already have.

I have a cell phone (an iPhone running on T-Mobile), but I don't pay for data in any way or form. Moreover, I have a two year contract with T-Mobile that costs $175 to break. I suspect lots of people are in my situation. So, for me if I were just starting out looking to buy an iPhone the total cost of ownership would be a lot more if I went with a AT&T iPhone 3G solution.
  • Reply 44 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Not when Apple is giving one away free to every student buyer of a Mac. The whole purpose of the promotion is probably to deplete inventory of both Macs and iPods prior to a refresh.

Last year's Back To School program ended on Monday, September16th. The iPod Touch was announced at "The Beat Goes On" event on the 5th of September, and was released 8 days later on Thursday, September 13th. I don't believe it was eligible for the programs few remaining days.

This year the Back To School program ends on Monday, September 15th. The first and only update for teh iPod Touch came 153 days after it's initial release. I suspect this one will probably come on the 11th or 18th if Apple follows last year's pattern. If the iPod Touch does come out in mid September it will be over 7 months since the last release. Though a longer delay may be in order if Apple wishes to present the new iPhones to the additional countries without the encumbrance of the iPhone Touch, which does similiar things but does not add to the apparently very important unit sales for the iPhone.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

I love how you speak from a position of authority because you purchased a product.

I own a remote controlled helicopter and I think it would be easy to use that technology to make a flying car.

I don't just own one Apple product but you can almost name it and I own it or have owned it and it seems like almost a given that after purchasing a new Apple Product, within two months there is an upgrade and this includes models that have been redesigned such as the iMac and especially the Pro macs and MacBook Pros. Apple has always found something or someway to improve its hardware shortly after release because for the most part, they listen to their customers and have the assets to do so.

And it would probably be very easy to make a "Flying Car" but to expensive to make it cost efficient.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    vulcan1vulcan1 Posts: 56member
    I would sooo like to see a 16GB 2,8" iPod Nano Touch!!
  • Reply 47 of 51
    hoodoohoodoo Posts: 5member
    I don't know why anybody in Canada keeps paying the ridiculous "system access fee" Rogers charges $6.95 and Bell has the gall to charge $8.95!! per month! I think they have to disclose it now as a "non-governmental fee" because, well you know, we're all suckers.

Plus the standard contract length here to get full subsidy is 3 years. ouch. especially with the short product life cycles these days.

That's why for me, the iPod touch is sweet, although Toronto isn't exactly overwhelmed with free hot-spots. The cell providers have a lock on the pay as you go hot spots, which cost a fortune. Even at Starbucks. But I've found enough officially free spots to keep me going. I pair the touch with a no-contract phone from Fido, $20 per month, no system access fee, includes voice mail and call display..that gets me 110 minutes per month, including bonus minutes. Which is more than enough for me. I even managed to pick up last year's model for only $25 out the door.

I paid full freight for the touch, $329 when it first came out + $20 for the upgrade and I'll happily pay $10 for v. 2.0. Still considering MobileMe, but I'm finding Google apps does most of this already for free?

But I'll still save $56.95 + 13% tax per month over 36 months this way = $2316!
  • Reply 48 of 51
    Personally im just gona wait until they release a 64gb itouch.

Ever since it was released last year iv wanted this capacity, 32gb really doesnt cut it and im hoping in September they'll release a 64gb, even if it is at a cost.

There is no reason as to why they couldn't make it especially since the new app store will propbably bring thousands of itouch owners to it.

More capacity = more apps being bought and used.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bizk1d1 View Post

Personally im just gona wait until they release a 64gb itouch.

Ever since it was released last year iv wanted this capacity, 32gb really doesnt cut it and im hoping in September they'll release a 64gb, even if it is at a cost.

There is no reason as to why they couldn't make it especially since the new app store will propbably bring thousands of itouch owners to it.

More capacity = more apps being bought and used.

I doubt it's coming. It looks like Apple is planning to keep the Touch, for lack of a better term, one exponential capacity increase ahead of the iPhone. Plus, 64GB still appears to be too expensive it the higher capacity were to come close to the current 16Gb pricepoint. Also, it appears it would have to be in a thicker iPod Touch, like the larger iPod Classic, as I don't think 64GB Flash comes in the double-density die package as the 16GB and 32GB version. I can only find it as a 1.8" size drive.

PS: Once 64Gb is available, the next move, obviously, is 128GB and then 256GB. These seem to be slowing down. is it possible to use several lower capacity flash chips to create a single, transparent drive with an onboard flash drive controller. For example, the next iPod Touch coming out in September would move the 32GB model to 48GB by using 3x16GB chips. The lower price of these chips over 32GB may even make it cheap to make, assuming that the Flash drive controller wasn't a significant cost in R&D. (I have no if this could work, just throwing it out there an idea)
  • Reply 50 of 51
    bizk1d1bizk1d1 Posts: 6member
    Thing is why does it have to be flash memory; you could easily but a 80gb hard drive in the touch, just look how thin the 80gb ipod classic is. Sure it may be a little heavier but is there any reason as to why that couldn't be done?
  • Reply 51 of 51
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bizk1d1 View Post

Thing is why does it have to be flash memory; you could easily but a 80gb hard drive in the touch, just look how thin the 80gb ipod classic is. Sure it may be a little heavier but is there any reason as to why that couldn't be done?

I'm sure it could be done. I might even consider one if it were ever made. Some suggestions brought up is that the hard drive model might not be as responsive because of the seek times. There have been complaints that Cover Flow was sluggish on the Classic. Maybe it just shows that demands have gotten more rigid, because it didn't seem bad to me.

Apple also seems to be obsessed with making things thin. I think a Touch 80GB might be as thick as a 20GB 4th gen iPod, to stuff the screen, hard drive and a decent enough battery.