Does the iPhone Need a Case?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
i'm planning on buying an iphone when july 11 rolls around, but am unsure whether i will need to, in addition, purchase a case for it. most of the iphones i see around today are encased in some way or another, but i remember reading an early review (of the first gen iphone) by someone at macworld, who stated that, despite carrying it around in his pocket for a week unprotected, it showed no noticeable scratches, either on the front or the back.

now, i know the 3g iphone has a plastic back, so no one can account for how that will react to hard materials/contact, but, for those of you who already have an iphone, have you found that having a case made much of a difference or was necessary?

i ask this because the iphone's form and appearance are dazzling, and every case i've seen has merely induced ugliness into the otherwise sleek exterior. in addition, i am a cheap, thrifty, money-grubbing scrooge, and don't want to pay for a case, lol.

thanks for the help and advice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    waxxelwaxxel Posts: 24member
    Absolutely YES!I have a iPhone and I didn't use a case until recently and I have all kinds of scratches and dings on my iPhone. However the case I have now is great and I really love it. Its a Otter box, best case I have ever found.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    No cell phone needs a case. Most people use cases as holsters for their phones. I bought one for my iPhone. The case was less durable than the phone. Think about what you want a case to do. Then study the various case designs. You may find that one or more cases fulfills your desires. If it does, then buy it. If not, then don't.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    how does the glass screen stand up to everyday wear and tear, say, in a pocket? does it get scratched easily, or is it only the metal casing which is vulnerable?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    There are many screen scratch tests on sites like YouTube, and the screen holds up very well.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I got a case and film over the screen mostly for peace of mind.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    I'm planning on getting a holster by body glove because the clip doesn't slip off my pants when i bend, and i'm planning on putting a "skin" protective case that protects the screen and the corners

cell phones fall on the corners and bingo broken..... i'm making mine double protected

but if there is a better clip or holster let me know. it can't slip when you bend over or sit in a chair

any ideas for a protective case??
  • Reply 7 of 17
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milimetersquared View Post

how does the glass screen stand up to everyday wear and tear, say, in a pocket? does it get scratched easily, or is it only the metal casing which is vulnerable?

I bought my iPhone on June 29, 2007, its first day on sale. It has not a mark on it. If it were susceptible to scratches, chips, and dents, then you would have heard caterwauling from Rome to Cupertino.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    how roughly/much do you use it? do you use a case?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    If you're clumsy, you'd probably want a case. I've dropped my iPhone so many times from various heights onto various surfaces without a case. Because of this, my iPhone now has 2 cracks: annoying, but not disabling.

Scratch resistance is great, I don't have any on my screen. The other parts of the phone are more scratch-prone, but not dramatically more than other phones.

I am very clumsy so I bought an Incase Slider Case. Within a week, I dropped my phone (again) onto concrete. The case has a little crack, but my iPhone didn't develop any more cracks anywhere. Yay, it was useful.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    serialserial Posts: 5member
    I have had mine since august 2007 and I never used a case, no scratches on the screen. The only things that scratched slightly are the chromed apple logo and screen border, but those scratches are invisible from more than a few inches away.

imho no case needed

EDIT: i use the phone on a daily basis, carry it in my pocket and sometimes (by accident) place my keys in the same pocket....
  • Reply 11 of 17
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Case + Screen Protector. It is quite essential IMO. The type all depends on your needs/ tastes/ etc.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    tandstands Posts: 6member
    I have had my beloved iPhone 8GB since iDay (6.23 pm). I have never used a case, but I have long been a fan of the products from egrips ( www.egrips.com ). I used their products for my Treo600, 650 and 680. They don't interfere with the look and "slimness" of the iPhone. One thing that I might also try with my iPhone 3G (which I intend to get on July 11th) is this mytouchkeys screen protector which I've heard helps with typing ( http://www.mytouchkeys.com/ )

Just to clarify, my iPhone is scratch and ding free (apart from those microscratches on the chrome apple & bezel). I have never dropped it (in no small part due to the egrips to which I added egrip strips on the side from one of their generic sets). Last but not least I use my iPhone a LOT, and no I don't work for either of the companies that make these products. I just wholeheartedly recommend their products from my personal experiences, and those of my friends (mytouchkeys).

Another product I love is the Aliph Jawbone Bluetooth earpiece, which is made worlds better with a custom ear mould which I got from Avery Sound ( http://www.averysound.com )(yet again, no I don't work for either)

Hope this advice is of some help.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    corkurkcorkurk Posts: 90member
    Anyone have any experience with the "invisible shield" type of protection? I like the idea of not having a bulky case, but I also wonder if this type of thing actually lives up to the hype. I saw and read some positive reviews, but wondered if there were any personal experiences out there?

http://www.zagg.com/

thanks!
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corkurk View Post

Anyone have any experience with the "invisible shield" type of protection? I like the idea of not having a bulky case, but I also wonder if this type of thing actually lives up to the hype. I saw and read some positive reviews, but wondered if there were any personal experiences out there?

http://www.zagg.com/

thanks!

i have a sheild like that from the apple store and it works perfectly keeping it clean, scrath free andgoos, but i think if i dropped it it might break, DUHHH. but i havent tried tht.

to keep it clan and scrathc free, get a protection shield like invisable sheild, but if umight drop it on if u dnt have pockets get like a rubber case or cse with a belt clip
  • Reply 15 of 17
    corkurkcorkurk Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdhockeyfan424 View Post

i have a sheild like that from the apple store and it works perfectly keeping it clean, scrath free andgoos, but i think if i dropped it it might break, DUHHH. but i havent tried tht.

to keep it clan and scrathc free, get a protection shield like invisable sheild, but if umight drop it on if u dnt have pockets get like a rubber case or cse with a belt clip

That's kind of what I thought. Good for keeping it looking ok, but not good for heavy duty wear and tear (or dropping...).

Thanks for the help.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    a friend was in a motorcycle wreck and skidded several feet with the iphone between himself and the ground, he broke many bones, but the iphone is just fine

I have inadvertantly dropped mine down a flight of stairs, no problem...

neither had a case
  • Reply 17 of 17
    It's obvious that a iphone needs a case, there are variety of cases available in the market with different features and designs. Choose the best which suits your requirement. But still I would like to recommend you the best according to me and i.e. Otterbox . Otterbox always come with great designs and great protection too in all areas whether it is water or dust.