What's the scientific explanation for this?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited October 2015
I assume this happens to everybody, and i'm wondering exactly why. There's gotta be a concrete explanation.

Right now, I just woke up from a two hour nap, and i'm listening to a song. The song sounds about 50% faster than it would if I had just come in from a run, or from playing a fast moving sports game. The speed of music varies based on whether i've been passive, or active. It seems that if my mind is moving slowly, the music sounds fast, and if my brain is moving quickly, the music sounds slow. But how does that actually happen? Isn't my identity/personality the one who is "hearing" the song, and identifying it as the same song that I heard before? How come it sounds so much faster sometimes, and much slower at other times?

Not only does the beat of the song seem to be rushing along like someone in dire need of getting somewhere, but the minutes are sliding by at an incredible pace as well. The song just sort of starts, and then ends, and I feel like I sort of missed it because of the speed at which it was moving.

It's not THAT extreme, but it's definetaly relevant. The playback speed of the song right now, seems at least 50% faster than it did when I was listening to it while walking earlier. Before it sounded like it could use a speed up, and now it feels extremely up beat.

What is the scientific explanation for this? Is there one?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Where did you get your drugs?

More seriously, this isn't anything I've ever heard of or experienced. That's not to say that there isn't an explanation, but just a warning that you may have to search beyond a web forum to get the answer I think you are looking for.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    Well, I found this.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...5885.Ph.r.html

It doesn't really answer my question, but it shows that i'm not alone.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

I assume this happens to everybody, and i'm wondering exactly why. There's gotta be a concrete explanation.

Right now, I just woke up from a two hour nap, and i'm listening to a song. The song sounds about 50% faster than it would if I had just come in from a run, or from playing a fast moving sports game. The speed of music varies based on whether i've been passive, or active. It seems that if my mind is moving slowly, the music sounds fast, and if my brain is moving quickly, the music sounds slow. But how does that actually happen? Isn't my identity/personality the one who is "hearing" the song, and identifying it as the same song that I heard before? How come it sounds so much faster sometimes, and much slower at other times?

Not only does the beat of the song seem to be rushing along like someone in dire need of getting somewhere, but the minutes are sliding by at an incredible pace as well. The song just sort of starts, and then ends, and I feel like I sort of missed it because of the speed at which it was moving.

It's not THAT extreme, but it's definetaly relevant. The playback speed of the song right now, seems at least 50% faster than it did when I was listening to it while walking earlier. Before it sounded like it could use a speed up, and now it feels extremely up beat.

Thanks

Dont worry its quite normal, i've experienced this aswell - though that might be worrying.

I first experienced it when I was about 14, having awoke, I immediately put on Def Leppards' Hysteria CD reasonably loud, and was lying in bed - when it struck me just how fast the playback appeared - I found it terribly interesting as I laid there and quite a pivotal moment, so much so, that I still remember it 18 years later. Perhaps this incident was the first time it really hit me that consciousness is not a fixed, rigid passage through time and space.

I probably have read why these effects happen, but it escapes me right now, I only woke up half hour ago myself, but dont forget that the brain is the most complex computer we know of, and runs at about 27Mhz!, so perhaps some of your circuits were a bit underclocked the moment you woke up.

Interestingly, I have never been a morning person, it takes me several hours to come up to operating speed, and get progressively smarter during the day and I think I most kick ass during the evening and night - as opposed to some people who wake at the crack of dawn raring to go and wither out during the day.

Perhaps you need to be a late starter to fully appreciate this? Is that like you?
  • Reply 4 of 44
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Yeah, it's called concentration. Welcome to being human.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giant View Post

Yeah, it's called concentration. Welcome to being human.

I dont think thats it, -lack of concentration anyway, imagine being totally focussed on your surroundings, evaluating your thoughts and senses, and wondering why the hell something appears to be playing super quick.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Weird. When I wake up in the morning, music seems at most 6% faster. Other sensations feel more subdued, rather then heightened or quickened. The color orange appears distinctly desaturated until about 11:00 AM, and the screams of the dying aren't quite so piercing until after I've eaten lunch.
    spheric
  • Reply 7 of 44
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Drugs are bad, m'kay?

Seriously, I have never experienced what you're talking about, so I can't vouch for it either way.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

I dont think thats it

It is it. When you are concentrating time seems to slow down because you are aware of more of the stuff going on around you. It's very pronounced when you play sports, meditate or are in an emergency situation.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giant View Post

It is it. When you are concentrating time seems to slow down because you are aware of more of the stuff going on around you. It's very pronounced when you play sports, meditate or are in an emergency situation.

How does that tie in to the song sounding 50% faster for me when I woke up from my nap yesterday?

I just woke up from my nights sleep, and i'm listening to the same song, and it's back to normal speed. In fact, i'm going to use quicktime's A/V controls to get it to the speed that it sounded like yesterday, and see exactly how much faster it is.

edit: It's only about 20% faster. That's still quite a bit though.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Quote:

How does that tie in to the song sounding 50% faster for me when I woke up from my nap yesterday?

I just woke up from my nights sleep, and i'm listening to the same song, and it's back to normal speed. In fact, i'm going to use quicktime's A/V controls to get it to the speed that it sounded like yesterday, and see exactly how much faster it is.

It doesn't.

Obviously its completely escaped him that if you are 'in the zone', and time feels like it is slowing down - thus giving you beyond-limit-capabilities, then its pretty obvious that the music is not going to appear sped up!

I very much doubt that when Hendrix was in the zone, that he felt time was flowing faster than his ability to hit the notes. He would have felt that time had slowed (infact, he wouldnt be conscious of time at all - but think of this from the perspective of an external observer), thus allowing him to become at one with his guitar with ease, and perform feats that seemed impossible to his audience that were still conscious in normal time.

However, when he resumed normal consciousness (im sure theres a clever joke in there) he would have then felt that time had flowed rather quickly, because he would then catch up with the normal consciousness of time flow, which obviously doesn't change at all as far as it is concerned.

So, the fact that you felt the music playing quickly is likely to be the complete opposite of 'flow' or 'zone'. You were most likely still recovering from the sleep, and certain parts of your brain were not functioning at normal capacity thus making you feel that the music was playing quickly.

You could try this in reverse. Play a favourite album as you go to sleep, and you should find that if you defocus yourself from everything and just subconsciously listen to the music while not trying to stay awake, you will find that as your brain starts to shut down, that the music will start to speed up or take on a different dynamic, most probably you will regain normal consciousness at times suddenly - its quite hard to do something and not consciously concentrate on what you are doing -, and will remember the music as a thing that occurred in the murky place between normal consciousness and sleep.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Quote:

You could try this in reverse. Play a favourite album as you go to sleep, and you should find that if you defocus yourself from everything and just subconsciously listen to the music while not trying to stay awake, you will find that as your brain starts to shut down, that the music will start to speed up or take on a different dynamic, most probably you will regain normal consciousness at times suddenly - its quite hard to do something and not consciously concentrate on what you are doing -, and will remember the music as a thing that occurred in the murky place between normal consciousness and sleep.

I've done that many times, and that's exactly what happens.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Quote:

I've done that many times, and that's exactly what happens.

so perhaps we have an answer then no?

think of it like you would an audio sampler. During normal conscoiusness, your brain is sampling its senses at optimal resolution, so time dependant events like music appear normal.

As you're falling asleep or waking up, the brain is sampling its senses less frequently - so as the music is still playing at the same speed, it appears faster. More events happen per sample.

The reverse is 'flow' - a heightened awareness where the brain is sampling its senses more often - could be a stressful event like a car crash where you need maximum concentration to avoid death, or a musician in the zone who has passed into a higher state of consciousness and is sampling the senses more often allowing him to perform magical feats. Less events happen per sample.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Quote:

so perhaps we have an answer then no?

think of it like you would an audio sampler. During normal conscoiusness, your brain is sampling its senses at optimal resolution, so time dependant events like music appear normal.

As you're falling asleep or waking up, the brain is sampling its senses less frequently - so as the music is still playing at the same speed, it appears faster. More events happen per sample.

The reverse is 'flow' - a heightened awareness where the brain is sampling its senses more often - could be a stressful event like a car crash where you need maximum concentration to avoid death, or a musician in the zone who has passed into a higher state of consciousness and is sampling the senses more often allowing him to perform magical feats. Less events happen per sample.

That makes sense. As i'm falling asleep, I can hear the music, but it reaches a point where it's sort of just sound.. and I can't actually hear it all, it's just flowing by, I guess much quicker than it would be if I were totally awake. I had my computer playing music for the entire duration of my two hour nap yesterday, and I would often be conscious when a new track started, because that change would sort of wake me up a bit, but then the tracks (especially longer ones like 9 or 10 minute tracks) just zipped by, because I was half asleep. So that's an extreme case of what I experience after waking up from the nap. My brain wasn't quite back to speed yet, but my personality and my mind were there.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    I don't know about the tempo, but the perception that the song passed more quickly is easy to explain: You weren't concentrating on it. As a musician it happens to me all the time. It's one reason you won't see me listening to music much...because I like to be able to concentrate on it. It's also VERY distracting to me when I drive. Ever have that feeling that you don't know how you got to where your destination was (especially if you drive that way a lot).

Actually...as for the tempo, I can't explain it but there are times where the same recording sounds a little different to me. I wouldn't say my perception of the speed is all that different, but sometimes it seems more "in the groove" ("center" of the beat) or on the "front edge" of the beat. I just chalk it up to mood. With about 100 billion neurons and 1 trillion total brain cells changing all the time, it's no surprise that sometimes we perceive things differently.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I don't know about the tempo, but the perception that the song passed more quickly is easy to explain: You weren't concentrating on it. As a musician it happens to me all the time. It's one reason you won't see me listening to music much...because I like to be able to concentrate on it. It's also VERY distracting to me when I drive. Ever have that feeling that you don't know how you got to where your destination was (especially if you drive that way a lot).

Actually...as for the tempo, I can't explain it but there are times where the same recording sounds a little different to me. I wouldn't say my perception of the speed is all that different, but sometimes it seems more "in the groove" ("center" of the beat) or on the "front edge" of the beat. I just chalk it up to mood. With about 100 billion neurons and 1 trillion total brain cells changing all the time, it's no surprise that sometimes we perceive things differently.

I cant really listen to music while I drive either - it irritates me, as does music when im trying to concentrate on work, and yes, sometimes I just arrive at places with no recolection of how I got there. Just like life really, a big daydream that just passes by!

Its getting worse! A while ago I searched for a really old thread on AI, and was reading through it. I came across a long post and was totally blown away by the content of it. I was thinking to myself, holy shit this person is leagues above me in intelligence and understanding, who the hell wrote that....I scrolled up...I wrote it myself!

What the fuck is going on?
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:

Because you're still waking up.

Quote:

It's not any % faster, you are just interpreting some consciousness shifts a certain way and want to believe it's profound. It's an interesting novelty, but it's an effect, not an end in itself. If you go learn how to meditate you'll find out how these effects are just minor distractions and if you go into psychology you'll either just end up hyperfocused with narrow studies or end up blinded by therapeutic pseudoscience. Since what you like is the novelty and talking about how weird it is, you might as well get started with hallucinogens since that's the place for it.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    While walking the dog this morning, the songs in my Rick Wakeman playlist sounded about 11%?maybe 12%?longer than normal. Meanwhile, songs in my Jimmy Buffet playlist all felt exactly 2:42 long.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:

I cant really listen to music while I drive either - it irritates me, as does music when im trying to concentrate on work, and yes, sometimes I just arrive at places with no recolection of how I got there. Just like life really, a big daydream that just passes by!

Its getting worse! A while ago I searched for a really old thread on AI, and was reading through it. I came across a long post and was totally blown away by the content of it. I was thinking to myself, holy shit this person is leagues above me in intelligence and understanding, who the hell wrote that....I scrolled up...I wrote it myself!

That happened to me too a while ago. I was reading a post on applenova, and I was thinking "wow, this person is really smart" before I realized it was me.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:

Quote:

That happened to me too a while ago. I was reading a post on applenova, and I was thinking "wow, this person is really smart" before I realized it was me.

I guess that means you guys are "in the zone" when posting. If only you could use your powers for good.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

I assume this happens to everybody, and i'm wondering exactly why. There's gotta be a concrete explanation.....It's not THAT extreme, but it's definetaly relevant. The playback speed of the song right now, seems at least 50% faster than it did when I was listening to it while walking earlier. Before it sounded like it could use a speed up, and now it feels extremely up beat....What is the scientific explanation for this? Is there one? ...Thanks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Where did you get your drugs?... More seriously, this isn't anything I've ever heard of or experienced. That's not to say that there isn't an explanation, but just a warning that you may have to search beyond a web forum to get the answer I think you are looking for.

YES. I know totally what you mean. You see, just like vision, but more so, hearing is one of the senses that is very, very subjective. You don't realise it until, you hear different sounds at different times of the day and with different feelings. Here's a few points. I spent an intense year around 2003-2004 trying to produce dance music in the genre of "uplifting dutch trance" (no it's not a mixtape of a trip to amsterdam)... http://forums.di.fm/showthread.php?t=55556

1. It is well known that your ears are much fresher in the morning. Take some very high quality tracks with high quality earphones. Listen when you just wake up, a few hours after you wake up, then listen at night. You will notice more things earlier in the day.

2a. Music tempo is really a very abstract concept. That's why big symphonies have a conductor. When learning classical piano, yeah, you have a metronome, but during performances or when impressing your family, you don't use the metronome, and somehow the human mind tries to "keep" a tempo of the notes.

2b. A good example is the "beats per minute" a modern DJ uses. Even from vinyl to digital there's always been one main weapon in a good club DJ's arsenal: the RPM (or more relevant, the BPM[Beats Per Minute])... A song is created at a specific tempo (which can vary within a song), yet the DJ is at liberty to play it at whatever tempo he desires, within the range provided to him by his equipment. Roughly for dance music this is 120bpm to 140+bpm, with "hardcore" or "gabba" (not sure about the specifics because I'm not into these genres) running much higher, giving you the feeling like your head is going to explode. Of course, the DJ has to "tune" the BPM to the mood of the crowd. If they're pretty docile, you'd want to warm them up with some smooth but encouraging low-BPM stuff, then gradually increase it. If the crowd is already pretty jazzed you'd want to go in fairly jazzed up.

3a. Same with pitch. This is why many bands, symphonies, etc. spend hours, days, preparing at a venue and before each performance. Tuning is very important. Maybe some of you do know, but I only discovered, Linkin Park plays "out of tune" to some degree a lot of the time: http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/fo...drop-d-tuning/

3b. Some of you may know this, but do you realise that there are many "notes" between the 12 semitones? It's called tuning by cents: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cent_%28music%29) ... Many bands and producers create different "signature sound and feels" by slightly tuning their pitch lower or higher, meaning they never play exactly an A Minor, for example, it would be tuned somewhere in-between an A Minor and A Major... From a piano theory point of view, guitar-wise I'm not sure if I understand this properly yet, see point 3a above.

4. Humans instinctively have some sense of the "mathematics in art". ... However this is dependent on perception, which varies from individual and even varies within an individual. For example, http://www.5cense.com/Edge_Delay.htm

5. Scientifically, it comes down to the brain/ mind. One of the important frontiers of knowledge. IMHO.