Montevina MBP MB Speculation Thread

Comments

• Reply 61 of 189
    darkgoobdarkgoob Posts: 37member
    One thing I would like...

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...

curved front edges!!!

I get these horrendous lines on my wrists.. it's painful.. from the sharp front edge of the MBP and MB computers. I would much prefer a sloping, ergonomic, curved front edge.

And also, make the trackpad SMALLER. It's so big that I can't type without accidentally touching it, which is very annoying especially for gaming and web surfing.

They also really need to have dual firewire busses and dual USB busses. At least three if not four powered USB ports would be super nice. I would really like them to be noise free as well, since there have been lots of issues with noisy interference on the USB and mic ports on the MBP.

It should come with a DVI -> HDMI and DVI -> Svideo adapters.

I liked the keyboards and trackpad on the TiBook better. I liked titanium better as a material. What was wrong with titanium? Why can't we have titanium?

For god's sake use a 24-bit LCD panel!

BLU RAY BLU RAY BLU RAY BLU RAY BLU RAY!!!!
  • Reply 62 of 189
    hfuhfu Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Do you have a link that says Intel will be subsidizing RAM?

FYI. here and here. True, early adopters will pay higher premium.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkgoob View Post

And also, make the trackpad SMALLER. It's so big that I can't type without accidentally touching it, which is very annoying especially for gaming and web surfing.

Other points you mentioned seemed like what other would hope for. Though the smaller trackpad probably won't ever happen since the introduction of MBA. Apple introduced multi-touch trackpad which will only lead to larger trackpad for future MBP and MB.

Have you tried uncheck "Ignore accidental trackpad input" under System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Trackpad? This helps a bit.
  • Reply 63 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BJNY View Post

I'm hoping for the 17.1" panel from LG

Model LG171WU5 1920x1200

8-bit instead of 6-bit

16.7 million colors instead of 256K

RGB LED instead of white LED

Thanks BJNY for sharing this information. For those interested in product specification, please find PDF here. If 17" Montevina MBP release after the 15" MBP around Q3 2008, this will be the better LCD panel option.
  • Reply 64 of 189
    Some preferred ATI solution and others preferred Nvidia offering. As Montevina MBP is approaching, speculation on various video cards emerged from other Montevina notebook vendors. These two GPUs are being used in Montevina notebook for 15" and 17" application. From the initial glance, both shared 55nm fabrication process. Here is brief feature set at glance:

ATI Mobility HD3600 Specs

* 378 million transistors using 55nm fabrication process

* Unified Superscalar shader architecture

* Microsoft® DirectX® 10.1

* OpenGL 2.0

* 128-bit DDR2/GDDR3/GDDR4 memory interface

* Native PCI Express 2.0 x16 bus interface

* ATI Avivo HD Video and Display architecture

* ATI PowerPlay 7.0 power management technology

Nvida 9650M GT

* 55nm fabrication process

* Up to 40% faster performance than the previous generation of GeForce 8M notebook

* New PureVideo® HD video processing for improved color and contrast

* Full support for the latest Blu-ray Profile 2.0 features and Blu-ray Live

* Extensive multi-display connectivity with support for all the latest display standards including DVI, HDMI 1.3, Display Port 1.1, and VGA

* Support for the new MXM version 3.0 graphics module specification

Consider the feature announcement of Snow Leopard (10.6), support of Nvidia CUDA in WWDC08 and recently announced ATI HD3870 for Mac Pro, which GPU do you think will likely be the candidate for pro line mobile platform update? If neither, please suggest which GPU would be included in Montevina MBP.
  • Reply 65 of 189
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    Doesn't the 3rd Quarter start July 1st?

I'd pay the extra $ if Apple were to offer this premium panel as an option [for this demanding photographer].
  • Reply 66 of 189
    xc3llxc3ll Posts: 30member
    I got this:

Oct-Dec '07 = Q108

Jan-Mar '08 = Q208

Apr-Jun '08 = Q308

Jul-Sep '08 = Q408

from skwoytek from macrumors, and it sounds about right to me. If its to be believed, then 4Q starts VERY soon. I can't wait till 1Q 09 for Apple to release the Montevina MBP.
  • Reply 67 of 189
    Hey.

While you're all speculating like I was last week,

I went out a bought a sick MBP.

wtf do you need that video card for? When did 512mb vc become shitty?

btw, this is the best machine I've ever come in contact with.

I LOVE THAT IT'S MINE!!! MWUAHAHA I'M FINALLY A MAC!!
  • Reply 68 of 189
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikeddemus View Post

Hey.

While you're all speculating like I was last week,

I went out a bought a sick MBP.

wtf do you need that video card for? When did 512mb vc become shitty?

btw, this is the best machine I've ever come in contact with.

I LOVE THAT IT'S MINE!!! MWUAHAHA I'M FINALLY A MAC!!

Awesome. The first thing you should do is install Windows Vista in Bootcamp and play Crysis!!! Muah ah h ah h a LOL
  • Reply 69 of 189
    Let's try to put thing into perspective here.

I know this is a 50% speculative perspective but let's try this

without going overboard and try to stay focus as much as possible.

We know about the the latest available MBP,

2.4/2.5 Ghz Processor with 800Mhz Bus

2GB/4GB RAM

256/512 VRAM

200GB/250GB HD's

Aluminum case (which I think it's beautiful)

etc....

What you guys think it will be the next upgrade to the MBP.

(Try to be keep it in the same way as I described it above.)

I think the new MBP will have:

1066 bus (like the new iMacs)

2GB/4GB RAM

512 VRAM

250GB HD

better display (maybe wide format)

HDMI connector

case redesign aesthetics (ala iMac)

I just want to have a better perspective

since I'm ready to buy a MBP but can easily wait for the upgrade.

thanks,

Charles
  • Reply 70 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HFU View Post

Have you tried uncheck "Ignore accidental trackpad input" under System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Trackpad? This helps a bit.

Of course I've tried that. It doesn't work at all...

I don't see the point of all these gestures and crap. I mean two-finger scrolling was only necessary because fools couldn't put a dang second mouse button. But they really think people want to learn gestures? Why?

I want to type on my dang computer without the mouse jobbling all over the dad-gum screen. I want to be able to use the trackpad without having to lift my other hand off of it because qqq, it's bigger than the screen itself.

You know, there was NOTHING wrong with the trackpad size of the PowerBook G4. You NEVER heard anyone complain and say it was too small. It was perfect!

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!
  • Reply 71 of 189
    cdnalsicdnalsi Posts: 33member
    I just want a 256-bit video card (whether it be ATI or nVidia), new keyboard, new design and blu-ray
  • Reply 72 of 189
    xc3llxc3ll Posts: 30member
    My only real hope is that it comes with an HDMI or DisplayPort connector. DVI is old. Its almost like using VGA. I know some of you prolly have old CRTs or something that need it, but get with the times.

Plus, all the cool kids are using Display Port

Blu-ray would be an unnecessary but welcome feature.

Most of all though, I just want to be able to fit the 15" MBP in my backpack comfortably. That's ultimately gonna be the deal breaker for me.
  • Reply 73 of 189
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    DVI vs. HDMI vs. Display port... it's all a matter of Apple's vision of what they think the future holds. There are a lot of DVI projectors and even more VGA-based projectors. What kind of adapters are there for HDMI to DVI or Display port to DVI? I am a big fan of the smaller connectors, but having to use a dongle is a pain in the butt!

On the matter at hand, Apple will probably update the MacBook Pro in August, at the earliest. I don't think Apple has made a major hardware announcement in the month of July since the heydays of the Javits Center Macworld.
  • Reply 74 of 189
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    um...it's still gonna have a 15" screen and it's not getting any bigger...does the current one fit? If so, shouldn't be a problem.
  • Reply 75 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

DVI vs. HDMI vs. Display port... it's all a matter of Apple's vision of what they think the future holds. There are a lot of DVI projectors and even more VGA-based projectors. What kind of adapters are there for HDMI to DVI or Display port to DVI? I am a big fan of the smaller connectors, but having to use a dongle is a pain in the butt!

It's complicated. The DisplayPort video signal is not compatible with DVI/HDMI. However, if a company is still willing to pay the DVI/HDMI licensing fee, they can use Dual-mode DisplayPort, which passes the other video signal through. This would require a simple, cheap passive adapter (like the VGA adapters that exist for DVI-I ports). Most companies will do this and I guarantee you Apple will, for a few years at least. That is, assuming Apple adopts DisplayPort at all, which it should.

If a DisplayPort is not dual-mode (no DVI license fee), then it will require an active adapter to connect to a DVI/HDMI display. Also, VGA requires an active adapter, as does dual-link DVI since the DP connector can only optionally pass through the single-link signal.
  • Reply 76 of 189
    It seems like the biggest step up in the next update will be graphics cards. Which do you guys think we'll have, and how do they perform. Let's use Crysis as an example.

So the three possibilities are:

Nvidia 9650M GS

Nvidia 9650M GT (predicted to be announced in the next few weeks)

ATI Mobility HD 3000

Only the 9650M GT is expected to be 256bit.. and people say Apple is always lagging behind with GPUs so maybe it's unlikely we'll get a 256bit card this time Right?
  • Reply 77 of 189
    What i cannot work out from this thread is whether Apple will redesign the MacBook Pro or simply update the chip in the existing model. Whether they bump it or replace it with a new model, we have no idea when to expect it. It could be anywhere from July to August. How frustrating.

Appleinsider seems to think that brand new MBPs and MBs are due sometime this quarter. They may be wrong. I hope they're right.

I really think the MBP needs a new case now - same keyboard as every other Mac and a thinner, lighter enclosure for road warriors. If they good trim even a pound of weight off it, that would be great. I'd also like to see SSD drives offered as an option preferably 128Gb or 160 Gb drives, but only with a significant price drop versus current SSD option cost in MBA.

A lot of people think that the current MBP is perfect as it is. I do not. I think it is a behemoth.
  • Reply 79 of 189
    The keyboard is a given, magnetic latch is a must, and if they're gonna add those two then they might as well make whatever small adjustments to the case they've been considering. I wouldn't mind if they added a few mm for the sake of better bits inside, and they should curve the wristpad areas because they can really dig into your hands after a while.

I'd be very VERY happy with 5mm thicker, more curved, black anodised MBP with a 9650M GT. Likelihood?
  • Reply 80 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

It's complicated. The DisplayPort video signal is not compatible with DVI/HDMI. However, if a company is still willing to pay the DVI/HDMI licensing fee, they can use Dual-mode DisplayPort, which passes the other video signal through. This would require a simple, cheap passive adapter (like the VGA adapters that exist for DVI-I ports). Most companies will do this and I guarantee you Apple will, for a few years at least. That is, assuming Apple adopts DisplayPort at all, which it should.

If a DisplayPort is not dual-mode (no DVI license fee), then it will require an active adapter to connect to a DVI/HDMI display. Also, VGA requires an active adapter, as does dual-link DVI since the DP connector can only optionally pass through the single-link signal.

Both type of interfaces will allow lower physical profile for case redesign as many have preferred. This will lead to another speculation, will Apple concurrent release DisplayPort/HDMI ready ACD along with updated MBP? Many waiting for updated ACD wouldn't mind this takes precedence.

The MB and MBA style keyboard is almost for certain. It fits the style and cost. If Montevina MBP use the same case design with keyboard/touchpad top piece update, existing MBP owners can also replace the same top piece easily.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machead99 View Post

I'd be very VERY happy with 5mm thicker, more curved, black anodised MBP with a 9650M GT. Likelihood?

It will only go thinner, sleeker and more powerful. Aesthetic usually comes first when it comes to Apple's design. If black anodized version fits the bill of material (BOM), Apple will do it. If 9650M GT TDP is a borderline challenge in current MBP enclosure, Apple could under clock the GPU as it did for several previous MBP releases, therefore 9650M GT will still remain as an option. It all comes down if TDP fits the enclosure design.

MBP tends to retain high resale value due to minor redesign which are less noticeable to mainstream consumers.