Does 2.1 and 2.4 GHZ make a Difference

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello I am about to purchase a mac in a week (after the announcement of the back to school deal) and i am wondering which model of the 2 macbooks i should get. I can upgrade the ram seperatly and it would cost less then getting it through apple, so does the difference in 2.1 and a 2.4 processor make a difference? The only major program I am wanting to run is photoshop Cs3. Will it run fine with a 2.1 ghz processor? And just for the fun of it, whats the difference in a superdrive or no superdrive? Thank You. PS. this will be my first mac

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    A SuperDrive can read and writ DVDs and CDs, a Combo Drive can read both but only write CDs
  • Reply 2 of 9
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    For me, I am a ratio fan. I like the system ratios to be clean. Basically this:

The front side bus is 800 MHz, and the machine is 2400 MHZ basically 3:1 ratio. But what kinda bums me out is that the ram is 667 MHz, on the machines that are currently out if it were 800 MHz ram you could get a 1:1 ratio. Or you can compare ...

I like clean ratio machines, as many clean ratios as I can get:

bus to ram, cpu to ram, cpu to bus, cache to cpu, cache to ram, pci to ram, pci to cpu, pci to bus, etc
  • Reply 3 of 9
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rezwits View Post

But what kinda bums me out is that the ram is 667 MHz, on the machines that are currently out if it were 800 MHz ram you could get a 1:1 ratio.

Since the FSB is quad-data-rate and the RAM is dual-data-rate, to get 1:1, you would want 400MHz memory with an 800MHz FSB
  • Reply 4 of 9
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benjy1416 View Post

Hello I am about to purchase a mac in a week (after the announcement of the back to school deal) and i am wondering which model of the 2 macbooks i should get. I can upgrade the ram seperatly and it would cost less then getting it through apple, so does the difference in 2.1 and a 2.4 processor make a difference? The only major program I am wanting to run is photoshop Cs3. Will it run fine with a 2.1 ghz processor? And just for the fun of it, whats the difference in a superdrive or no superdrive? Thank You. PS. this will be my first mac

The middle model is the better value, IMO. More RAM (yes I know you can add more yourself for less), bigger HDD, faster CPU and superdrive.

Unless you can only afford the entry level model get the middle model.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    jbrettzjbrettz Posts: 5member
    In the June 2008 issue of Macworld they have an article on purchasing a Macbook. they give the spec's on each model. The middle macbook is the best overall value.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I went with the 2.4. In three years you'll be glad you spent the extra dollars.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    get the 2.4ghz white one, it is way better

you get 2.4ghz instead of 2.1ghz

1gb of ram will make aplications and multitasking faster

40gb more of hdd space for movies or games or wahatever

supperdrive sou can burn dvds

and in the long run it will be great for 3-5- even 10 years

and btw to make it 100 dollars less go to the education store on the apple store online. i dont even go to college anymore. all i did was select a college and boom i saved money. they didnt ask me for any college id or anything to prove i went there. i could of picked harvard to a comunity college. same thing to me, $100 dollars of on a macbook.

heres the link, to the american one: http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...utingpage.html

the 2.4ghz cost only $1199,

while the 2.1ghz without the education discount cost $1099
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdhockeyfan424 View Post

get the 2.4ghz white one, it is way better

you get 2.4ghz instead of 2.1ghz

1gb of ram will make aplications and multitasking faster

40gb more of hdd space for movies or games or wahatever

supperdrive sou can burn dvds

and in the long run it will be great for 3-5- even 10 years

and btw to make it 100 dollars less go to the education store on the apple store online. i dont even go to college anymore. all i did was select a college and boom i saved money. they didnt ask me for any college id or anything to prove i went there. i could of picked harvard to a comunity college. same thing to me, $100 dollars of on a macbook.

heres the link, to the american one: http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...utingpage.html

the 2.4ghz cost only $1199,

while the 2.1ghz without the education discount cost $1099

oo and btw if ur going to use photoshop cs3 i get 2.5ghz macbook pro, and to get the refurbished one which is 2149 instead of 2499, save 350

just becuase it refurbish doesnt mean anything bad
  • Reply 9 of 9
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    2.4 GHZ Go FOR IT