No New Macbook Pro...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

Add in the perforated speaker grills on the sides of the keyboard and you might have something there.

the only problem with that is the keys couldnt be backlight
  • Reply 22 of 39
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    There should be a new macbook pro in August. It is going to have the montevina platform, larger touchpad and redesigned exterior, at minimum.

I would rather shoot my balls than buy a sony vaio or any other PC craptop.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

There should be a new macbook pro in August. It is going to have the montevina platform, larger touchpad and redesigned exterior, at minimum.

I would rather shoot my balls than buy a sony vaio or any other PC craptop.

Ha!

Foiled Again!

Steve Jobs 1

Nikeddemus 0

He thinks I'll wait until August...

...I'll show him by waiting until September!
  • Reply 24 of 39
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    I don't think well have to wait past July, at least for the MacBook Pro.

We know the reason for the delay: FCC approval. This was always a show stopper in terms of release timing. Intel has told us that Centrino 2 will be good to go by July 14th. What was the point of announcing a new MacBook Pro now if it wasn't going to be sold for another month? It would have just killed sales of existing products.

Much better to keep everyone guessing by saying nothing. Those of us who need a computer today, will simply go and buy one. Those of us waiting for the next generation will simply have to stew in our own juice for a bit longer.

For sure, the Apple laptop line-up needs a bit of love. I believe that love is on the way to us not just only in terms of a new MBP, but also new MacBooks and a revised MacBook Air.

Given that the form factor of MacBook Pro and MacBook laptops is changing, and that Apple doesn't change things unless there is a darn good reason (q.v. iPhone 3G), we really should expect something amazing.

And, if all this isn't enough to get your juices flowing, remember that come September, a whole bunch of new iPods will come flying in our general direction too.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

Hasn't Apple typically released updated computers about 1-2 months after PC manufacturers (in the case of Intel chip updates)?

No, if you're referring to the Penryn MB's and MBP's, PC manufacturers anounced them earlier, but then it still took weeks if not months to get them to the consumers in decent quantities. Apple announced theirs a bit later, but they were available IMMEDIATELY EVERYWHERE.

Probably the same will happen with Montevina. Some Montevina laptops have already been announced I believe... bad marketing imo.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    alxthsalxths Posts: 8member
    Re: the release date. I can't help but feel that if apple was going to wait a significant amount of time after the release of new penryns & chipsets they would've done something to encourage more waiters to buy now. They know how many people are following the montevina launch (or maybe there aren't that many, I could just have a skewed perspective) and if new laptops weren't coming out till september or later, they'd probably still have MBP ads on the front page and such (since the product would still be mid-cycle.

Also echoing the idea that the iphone-centric wwdc was possibly due to the fact that an intended laptop update got pushed back because of intel's delay. Sure Tailpipe went out on a limb, but not without decent reason, I think.

If a mid-july launch is coming, when should we be hearing buzzing in the rumour community? The beginning of July?

As much as I enjoy this speculation, I can't wait until macrumors and appleinsider aren't the first webpages I check in the morning! \
  • Reply 27 of 39
    mahkmahk Posts: 25member
    The earliest hints of a new release are usually when stocks of existing models start dwindling and new model numbers start appearing in retailer inventory systems -- keep an eye on the delivery times for MBP purchases on apple.com (usually when it hits anything more than a week for a non-custom build, something's up), and lets hope our friends at Best Buy or other retailers give us a heads up when new model numbers show up in their systems.

As they say, the waiting is the hardest part ...
  • Reply 28 of 39
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mahk View Post

As they say, the waiting is the hardest part ...

Yes, but when you hold it is for a long long time the result could be a continuous and overflowing stream of tantric orgasms.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    xc3llxc3ll Posts: 30member
    If Steve Jobs does not announce a new MBP by mid-August I think I'll have a nervous breakdown. I'm seriously pissed that they didn't introduce one at WWDC and the fact that there's lately been no news on Apple updating their notebook lines only makes me more angry.

If they don't hurry up, I'm gonna end up buying the anti-christ of computers ( DELL ).
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaple View Post

I would guess there'll be an announcement in July, maybe August about new MBs/MBPs. Probably a few weeks after the iphone launch. Sucks because I'll need one by the beginning of August. I'm debating whether to buy now or wait til mid-late july.

Dude, I just bought a MBP two days ago...and I'm so happy. I was in the exact same position as you.

It's cool having the newest thing on the block, but the quad-core hsould be coming out in late 09, and I'm going to buy another MBP after I sell mine...that's going to be the TRUE difference between the current MBP and the "next generation" MBP which isn't going to be signified by a new case.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rogue68 View Post

Tailpipe's just a guesser like the rest of us, but with an twist of fantasist . Best ignored.

Call me cynical, but I don't think there'll be another MBP redesign for at least three years when even its mass market and core business users start keeling over with boredom. Jobs probably thinks the Air is enough to satisfy cool hunters and anyone wanting a new form and function will prioritise one or the other. He's probably right. The faddish gadget mags have uniformly praised the Air for its form factor without mentioning its limited functionality and the MBP is seen by most who use it as a practical and well-designed workhorse.

It's obvious Apple have stopped trying to create "ultimate" machines and are now making 'puters with just enough (and no more than necessary) magic to appeal to the everyman. For a company that seemingly surfed on idealism and innovation for many years that's kinda sad, but then it's only the kind of cash-driven, baseine capitalist decision-making you'd expect of any multi-billion dollar business.

Apple isn't what it was to a lot of early adopters, but now it's something else to more people. A shame, but we all move on, and no doubt so will certain users.

Don't you ever wish Woz had set up his own offshoot? I certainly do.

Wah!
  • Reply 32 of 39
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xc3ll View Post

If Steve Jobs does not announce a new MBP by mid-August I think I'll have a nervous breakdown. I'm seriously pissed that they didn't introduce one at WWDC and the fact that there's lately been no news on Apple updating their notebook lines only makes me more angry.

If they don't hurry up, I'm gonna end up buying the anti-christ of computers ( DELL ).

if your that weak, who needs ya?
  • Reply 33 of 39
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

if your that weak, who needs ya?

Nah, let him. As long as he doesn't winge about it here

If you need a Mac now, buy it now
  • Reply 34 of 39
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    What percentage of Mac users think about new upgrades? I didn't until I joined this forum. Several of my family members have Macs and do NOT think about when the new upgrades are coming out.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

What percentage of Mac users think about new upgrades? I didn't until I joined this forum. Several of my family members have Macs and do NOT think about when the new upgrades are coming out.

Not even 5%. And that's being generous.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Less than 5%. Probably all or most are forum members or at least surf AI and other Mac forums.

It's no wonder why Jobs ignores our pleas
  • Reply 37 of 39
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fleshman03 View Post

I know exactly how you feel. It's all iPhone this and iPhone that.

Found this on a Blog:

Apple Inc. (formerly-and-clearly-no-longer Apple Computer Inc.) proudly announces the obliteration of any computer-related product from its catalog. Going forward, the laptop computer formerly known as the "MacBook Air" will be known as the "iPhone Maxi"*. And the segment-dominating laptop computers formerly known as the "MacBook" and "MacBook Pro" will be renamed the "iPhone Big-n-Bulky"* and "iPhone Bigger-n-Bulkier"*.

As a longtime Apple user, these comments remind me of the twilight of the Apple II family in benefit of the Mac family...there was even an "Apple II Forever" movement, and I still have the A+ magazine containing John Sculley's open letter to Apple II users, where he stated the willingness to continually support the Apple II for years to come (Apple //e card included for the Mac LC, of course)..!

What if the Mac is dead in a few years and the new Apple computer line is called Peaches? I don't really care, as long as it's a sign of computing evolution and progress...

• Reply 38 of 39
    docyoastdocyoast Posts: 16member
    Will Apple ditch DVI in favor of HDMI or DisplayPort?
  • Reply 39 of 39
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theweber3 View Post

the only problem with that is the keys couldnt be backlight

...because?