iSight

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What's the deal with the external iSight? Yes, no?? The current selection of webcams for the mac is quite pitiful and I'd like to see a "Green" iSight here soon!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

What's the deal with the external iSight? Yes, no?? ...

The answer to your question is not "yes" or "no."

That said, the iSight is now built into the iMac. It is no longer offered as a standalone device. As for the poor selection of webcams for the Mac, I bought a Logitech about a year ago. I am quite happy with it. If a webcam is listed as USB2-compatible, then it should work with a Mac out-of-the-box. If it does not, then it probably works with the opensource macam webcam driver.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    I have my DV Camera hooked up. Works very well, exeptthat the camera likes to eliminate a color once and a while. Camera's Fault though.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Don't almost all USB webcams work now?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Don't almost all USB webcams work now?

No. That's why macam is still in active development
  • Reply 5 of 9
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think the answer to this question stems from the fact that Apple's yet to overhaul their cinema display line to include integrated cameras. Even if integrating cameras is not part of the equation, Apple's seriously behind the curve with updating the cinema displays!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

I think the answer to this question stems from the fact that Apple's yet to overhaul their cinema display line to include integrated cameras. Even if integrating cameras is not part of the equation, Apple's seriously behind the curve with updating the cinema displays!

I couldn't agree more. I just bought a 24 in LCD from Samsung because Apple is SO far behind in the technology for their LCDs.

I've scoured Logitech's website for webcams but none are officially supported on the Mac. I'm looking for a high end webcam for iChat if anyone has any suggestions.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Logitech lists the Quickcam® Vision Pro as explicitly Mac-compatible.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    Best chance I see for a new iSight is IF Apple adds an iSight camera to the next iPhone so you can have a visual iChat with it. At that point there will be a need to move iChat to Windows for iPhone/PC users and Apple will want the revenue for the use of iChat - which would be the iSight.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    Yeah, when are we getting an update on the 30" cinema display?

How about this cam from Logitech http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/24/l...o-is-mac-only/