Multi-user like XP, when? If not now?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Did anyone else get the impression back when OS X was being developed that we were going to get a multiple user interface OS (i.e. easily switch back and forth from one user to the other without having to log one out and log a new one in)? I would tell my lab and other's considering computer purchases for multi-user environements to go with a Mac for this very reason and now I look like an idiot since XP has it and OS X doesn't.

That said, is there some command line trick or shareware ap that allows us to have multiple people logged in at the same time and just switch between them without logging out?

Alternatively, is there any indication from Apple that they will including this feature soon?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    No, no, and ummmm no.

Though, OSX is a true multiuser OS. ust open Process Viewer and you'll see several users with running processes. I don't think it would be too terribly difficult for Apple to enable a feature like XP's fast user switching.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>No, no, and ummmm no.

Though, OSX is a true multiuser OS. Just open Process Viewer and you'll see several users with running processes. I don't think it would be too terribly difficult for Apple to enable a feature like XP's fast user switching.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What would be a good term for what I'm talking about then? The "true" multi-user thing seems kind of misleading because only one person can use any GUI aps while the others appear to be limited to command line.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I really hope OSX follows XP's lead in multi-user environment. OSX's implementation is head and shoulders above OS9's.

My mother can switch over to her login to check her e-mail and WinAmp doesn't even stutter. Kind of cool sitting at the login screen with all the apps still running.

I like leaving some mp3s going and then switch to her profile because she doesn't know how to use Task Manager (to kill an app) and she doesn't know my password. Great way of making sure she doesn't stay on my box too long.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>I really hope OSX follows XP's lead in multi-user environment. OSX's implementation is head and shoulders above OS9's. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually it would be following *NIX's lead in doing such things. Just like XP did.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Take a Xanax or something, Christ.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Stop making statements you know will easily be refuted :roll:
  • Reply 7 of 10
    XP's multi-user setup is a Unix ripoff? Howso?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    The XP user switching thing seems like it has the potenitial for being a huge security hole. If I'm surfing through some private files and then switch users to someone else, does all the browser's memory and disk cache get flushed? If so, you might as well kill the process and start a new one. If not, everything is right there for the next user to read.

dave
  • Reply 9 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>XP's multi-user setup is a Unix ripoff? Howso?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Unix has had this setup before XP.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Sine:

Got any specifics? Just being contentious to be contentious? Got anything to contribute?

davechen:

Every user has their own temporary file storage area, so unless you were an admin (in which case you could get to their stuff anyway) you won't have access to others' files.

This was a hole in Win9x's shitty multi-user setup, but it seems as if this has been taken care of with XP.

Example:

My mother has an account on this box, and I just got back and her history doesn't show up in IE nor do her documents in the Start Menu. In 9x they would have. Only my history and my documents.

Is that what you meant?

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>