New 10.5.4 seed shows Apple mending iCal, winding down

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A new build of Apple's upcoming Mac OS X 10.5.4 update shows the patch all but finished with most bugs already taken care of in the past, AppleInsider has learned

People aware of the newest build, titled 9E17, say the beta fix again lists no known issues and that just two fixes have been made in the ten days between releases, both of which center around bugs with iCal's shortcuts and sync.

Apple is also said to be asking those with early access to focus on many of the same areas as before, including AirPort and networking with Windows systems, Spaces, and frequently-used programs such as iChat, the iLife suite, and Mail.

The rapidly shortening turnaround between the reported builds should ensure that 10.5.4 will be available before July 11th, when it will be necessary for Mac OS X Leopard users who want upgrade to MobileMe, Apple's online hosting and sync service for Macs, PCs, and Apple handhelds.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

People aware of the newest build, titled 9E17, say the beta fix again lists no known issues and that just two fixes have been made in the ten days between releases, both of which center around bugs with iCal's shortcuts and sync.

????

so are all the complaints that people post in forums just made up then apple?
  • Reply 2 of 34
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

with most bugs already taken care of in the past

Oh, so the Sleep issues my MacBook and MacPro have had since Tiger are only in my imagination because--as quoted above--Apple has taken care of all bugs in the past.

Sorry Apple Discussion moderators, my bad. It's not that Apple makes bad products, it's that God makes bad users.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

????

so are all the complaints that people post in forums just made up then apple?

People are complaining in large numbers about private beta versions that Apple hasn't released and are under NDA?

Or are you confusing 10.5.3 with 10.5.4?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Oh, so the Sleep issues my MacBook and MacPro have had since Tiger are only in my imagination because--as quoted above--Apple has taken care of all bugs in the past.

Are you using the private beta of 10.5.4? This article is about 10.5.4, not about Tiger. Past bugs fixed in 10.5.4 would do nothing to improve your PAST experiences--you'll have to wait until you are actually using 10.5.4 to judge those fixes.

This article is ONLY talking about 10.5.4, and mention of bugs fixed in the past refers to bugs fixed in the many previous seeds of 10.5.4.

The current OS is 10.5.3.

(Also Apple only claims to have fixed bugs that have been caught, I'm sure. Bugs that have never even been caught will have to be fixed another day No OS will ever be perfect.)
  • Reply 4 of 34
    freestatefreestate Posts: 123member
    I think MobileMe may launch before the 11th.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1943

"Summary

As part of the transition from .Mac to MobileMe, Web access to .Mac Bookmarks ends on June 30, 2008 (06-30-2008). After this date, you will no longer be able to access or update your bookmarks at (www.mac.com).

To avoid losing any existing .Mac Bookmarks, sync them with Safari on your Mac before June 30, 2008."
  • Reply 5 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeState View Post

I think MobileMe may launch before the 11th.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1943

"Summary

As part of the transition from .Mac to MobileMe, Web access to .Mac Bookmarks ends on June 30, 2008 (06-30-2008). After this date, you will no longer be able to access or update your bookmarks at (www.mac.com).

To avoid losing any existing .Mac Bookmarks, sync them with Safari on your Mac before June 30, 2008."

I'm guessing that 10.5.4 and Mobile Me are released the same day or MobileMe goes live no more than 24 hours after the 10.5.4 update. I was thinking the 7th, but perhaps it will be on Tuesday, the 1st.

PS: If you're still syncing your bookmarks to Apple's servers so I don't understand why they are removing this simple web-based function.

PPS: Since your data is synced instantly, I'd like there to be an auto-back up feature built into MobileMe so if my phone is stolen or messed with I am not permanently losing everything at once. Sure, I can do a backup from Time Machine and sync again but that requires a precise search. For instance, bookmarks for Safari are located in ~Library/Safari/bookmarks.plist. While this isn't a big deal for you and me it's still a chore, especially if you have to replace all your auto-synced data from different locations. Imagine someone who isn't familiar with the file and folder structure of OS X or someone who is tech-tarded.

Also, since the auto-sync is already setup, I'd like to see Mobile Me with a remote wipe feature. For example, your iPhone gets stolen so you log into your Mobile Me account from a computer somewhere and choose to remove all personal info from the handset and un pair the device from the Mobile Me network, which includes removing the saved password, which will be wiped along with all your other data.

Having a stolen device send back GPS location data or to actually write 1s to the drive would definitely be asking Apple for too much.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    That's ambitious. I suppose, then, that OS X and the Adobe CS3 installer are no longer in mortal combat . . . InDesign no longer must jump over the tops of the trenches through a hail of machine gun fire simply to run . . . Leopard no longer takes longer than the entire works of Beethoven to boot up . . . . Nvidia drivers no longer render graphics like a 1970s PacMan machine.

As they say, I'll believe it when I see it. At this rate, some enterprising individual is going to have to come up with a hack to get Tiger to run on new machines.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Vista is gonna roll over you all!
  • Reply 8 of 34
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Apple is losing it. What new bugs will this update have? I wont be able to save an InDesign file to the local HD this time.

whatever, another nail in the coffin.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Apple is losing it. What new bugs will this update have? I wont be able to save an InDesign file to the local HD this time.

What's the source of your info that 10.5.4 will be so much worse?

According to previous reports, it actually fixes the CS3 saving bug.

Presumably you're trolling at random

Back to my comfy coffin of Mac usage
  • Reply 10 of 34
    That's the spirit!
  • Reply 11 of 34
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Quote:

Wow, what's your beef??
  • Reply 12 of 34
    The amazing thing is the given Apple's small biz orientation that they don't think it's imp't to come up with a solution that's closer (even a bit) to something like NowContact/UTD. If Steve Job's were to do a survey on how people actually USE 'address book', they probably learn that NO ONE is using how they intended. Basically it's a repository of email addresses one needs in A.B. to readily use AppleMail. Address Book should be a flat field dbase... not this non sense about varying numbers of fields & with varying values assigned to those fields throughout the dbase. Powerful but makes no sense to the avg user, even me. iCal is great if you ONLY have Appt's and no more than 20 To-Do items. Whose reality is that these days?
  • Reply 13 of 34
    muncywebmuncyweb Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmoshay View Post

The amazing thing is the given Apple's small biz orientation that they don't think it's imp't to come up with a solution that's closer (even a bit) to something like NowContact/UTD. If Steve Job's were to do a survey on how people actually USE 'address book', they probably learn that NO ONE is using how they intended. Basically it's a repository of email addresses one needs in A.B. to readily use AppleMail. Address Book should be a flat field dbase... not this non sense about varying numbers of fields & with varying values assigned to those fields throughout the dbase. Powerful but makes no sense to the avg user, even me. iCal is great if you ONLY have Appt's and no more than 20 To-Do items. Whose reality is that these days?

Some might disagree with your comment about Address Book. I personally have a Palm Treo which contains over 600 contacts, all perfectly synchronized with Address Book. It works, for the most part, with no problems. I haven't delved into it quite as much as you probably, but I do believe that the importing and exporting could be improved in Address Book. So you may have a good point in that aspect. Side note -- Oh, and yes, for the record, I would love to upgrade to iPhone at some point for even greater compatibility. Now that the price of the phone is better, and they are opening it up to developers, I believe that AT&T needs to make some more affordable plans for people who may not want to use the data features as much. I currently get by on a 5MB add-on to my $29.95 grandfather plan. I'm hardly going to upgrade to a $75+ plan just to get an iPhone. If they're going to stay that expensive, I'll keep getting by on the occasional Google search and checking my email via VersaMail on my good ol' Treo 650. Why do Americans always think that just because they can, they should? Some of us would rather live without a few extra features and pay a little less.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    My battery drains faster and takes longer to charge ever since the 10.5.3 update. Hmmm.....
  • Reply 15 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MuncyWeb View Post

I currently get by on a 5MB add-on to my $29.95 grandfather plan. I'm hardly going to upgrade to a $75+ plan just to get an iPhone. If they're going to stay that expensive, I'll keep getting by on the occasional Google search and checking my email via VersaMail on my good ol' Treo 650. Why do Americans always think that just because they can, they should? Some of us would rather live without a few extra features and pay a little less.

What exactly are you grandfathered into. The unlimited/unlimited data package for the iPhone was $20 and will be $30. The $70 price includes minutes.

As for the generalizations of Americans I might be offended if I understood what you meant by that statement.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmoshay View Post

[...] Steve Job's [...]

"Steve Job's"?

What's the problem with people and apostrophes?

• Reply 17 of 34
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    My take is - there are no known issues with 10.5.4 build... not that there aren't issues with Leopard. They would prolly save the other stuff for 10.5.5 as they need this one fast for mobileme, etc.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:

What's your alternative? A PC?
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The rapidly shortening turnaround between the reported builds should ensure that 10.5.4 will be available before July 11th, when it will be necessary for Mac OS X Leopard users who want upgrade to MobileMe, Apple's online hosting and sync service for Macs, PCs, and Apple handhelds.

Let's just hope those MobileMe servers are faster than .Mac! Sooo slow. Come on Apple, I got the need for speed!.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    planktonplankton Posts: 108member
    [QUOTE=solipsism;1268963]I'm guessing that 10.5.4 and Mobile Me are released the same day or MobileMe goes live no more than 24 hours after the 10.5.4 update. I was thinking the 7th, but perhaps it will be on Tuesday, the 1st.

I will be amazed if they risk waiting until close to the 3G iPhone and mobileme launch day before releasing 10.5.4?just too much risk that a show-stopping bug will kill the fanfare, glitz and RDF. I think it will be out this week or before the month end early next week. Any less and there would be no time for emergency bug fixes.