Educational Discount Qualification?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Having a hard time figuring this out...

My mother-in-law is a teacher at a non-profit preschool, which should qualify her for the educational discount (last bullet on the qualification FAQ). Looking to get a Macbook + iPod Touch, and we'd prefer to buy at a local Apple store. (Honestly, it is for me, but I'm encouraging her as well...)

Looking through the information online, the school isn't listed, so I called the 1-800-MY-APPLE number to find out about qualification. I got quite the run-around, bouncing back and forth between that line, some corporate number, and the Institutional Sales department. No one seemed to know what to do if the school isn't listed.

At one point, an operator said that if she just brought some documentation of her employment that the store might honor it. So, I called the store. The preferred store (University Villiage, Seattle) is closed this week for renovation; the Alderwood Mall store just referred me back to 1-800-MY-APPLE...

Finally, the Institutional Sales department sent me a link, for the school to get an account. (They do already have a couple macs, so this might be good anyway). Is it necessary for the school to have an account to get the discount for personal use?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbmcavoy View Post

My mother-in-law is a teacher at a non-profit preschool, which should qualify her for the educational discount (last bullet on the qualification FAQ). Looking to get a Macbook + iPod Touch, and we'd prefer to buy at a local Apple store. (Honestly, it is for me, but I'm encouraging her as well...)

Looking through the information online, the school isn't listed, so I called the 1-800-MY-APPLE number to find out about qualification. I got quite the run-around, bouncing back and forth between that line, some corporate number, and the Institutional Sales department. No one seemed to know what to do if the school isn't listed.

At one point, an operator said that if she just brought some documentation of her employment that the store might honor it. So, I called the store. The preferred store (University Villiage, Seattle) is closed this week for renovation; the Alderwood Mall store just referred me back to 1-800-MY-APPLE...

Finally, the Institutional Sales department sent me a link, for the school to get an account. (They do already have a couple macs, so this might be good anyway). Is it necessary for the school to have an account to get the discount for personal use?

You can quit getting the runaround if you just order on Apple's On-line Store. Since you know your mother qualifies we won't have to get into a discussion about violating Apple's Education Store's terms. If her school in Seattle is not listed, then just pick one in Seattle that is and order it through the Apple Education Store under that school's name. No one from Apple will check with the school and no one from Apple will ask you to verify your mother's employment at that school.

Otherwise, you are back to square 1.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

You can quit getting the runaround if you just order on Apple's On-line Store. Since you know your mother qualifies we won't have to get into a discussion about violating Apple's Education Store's terms. If her school in Seattle is not listed, then just pick one in Seattle that is and order it through the Apple Education Store under that school's name. No one from Apple will check with the school and no one from Apple will ask you to verify your mother's employment at that school.

Otherwise, you are back to square 1.

Except, that if you order Adobe software under the educational discount, Adobe will demand that you provide proof before they will activate the software. I'm talking about ordering the software along with your Mac from Apple's educational site.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Except, that if you order Adobe software under the educational discount, Adobe will demand that you provide proof before they will activate the software. I'm talking about ordering the software along with your Mac from Apple's educational site.

True, but he was talking about buying an Apple product.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    mbmcavoymbmcavoy Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Except, that if you order Adobe software under the educational discount, ...

Good information. I didn't know Adobe has education discounts until earlier today. I was a bit excited until I also found that they are College-only. No CS3 discounts preschool teachers. \
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Good information. I didn't know Adobe has education discounts until earlier today. I was a bit excited until I also found that they are College-only. No CS3 discounts preschool teachers. \

Not just college only.

Quote:

Adobe.com

Who qualifies to purchase from the North America Adobe Education Online Store?

* A student enrolled in grades K-12 at an accredited public or private primary or secondary school providing full-time instruction.

* A full- or part-time student enrolled at an accredited higher education institution.

* A full- or part-time faculty or staff member employed by an accredited K-12 or accredited higher education institution.

• Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

True, but he was talking about buying an Apple product.

Ayuh, but many people buy the discounted education software along with their Mac. It would not be fun to buy the Adobe CS 3 Creative Suite only to find out that it won't activate unless Adobe gives the nod.

I've bought edu software with nearly every Mac I ever bought, and I know that I'm not alone.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Some educational software is less demanding than Adobe products. That is, you can buy it at say a college book store, take it home and activate it, no problem. Even earlier Adobe software like Photoshop 7 for instance, can be activated with the key on the software package, as many times as you like. But, where Adobe is concerned, those days are gone. Now, you get two activations, and if you lose a hard drive with one of them in use, and the software has been activated twice, then you have to call Adobe to get another activation number after you install it on a new drive. Even then, you must listen to the "did you de-activate the program on the old drive?" speech.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mbmcavoymbmcavoy Posts: 157member
    Quote:

I figured our best shot was to just head to the store, having her bring a pay stub as evidence of employment. Turns out that was all that was needed! The sales guy checked her stub and License, called it good. Since the school wasn't listed on his terminal, he said "I'll just put the UW." Then he helped us process the rebate form online before even leaving the store!

So, we were able to take advantage of the discounted Macbook and the free iPod Touch.

Also, I hadn't noticed the current $100 rebate offer on printers, but the salesman mentioned it, and threw in a HP multifunction device, free in the end! Nice surprise!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

I figured our best shot was to just head to the store, having her bring a pay stub as evidence of employment. Turns out that was all that was needed! The sales guy checked her stub and License, called it good. Since the school wasn't listed on his terminal, he said "I'll just put the UW." Then he helped us process the rebate form online before even leaving the store!

So, we were able to take advantage of the discounted Macbook and the free iPod Touch.

Also, I hadn't noticed the current $100 rebate offer on printers, but the salesman mentioned it, and threw in a HP multifunction device, free in the end! Nice surprise!

This might be good news for you. I bought a new Mac on the 13th of this month, and I deposited my rebates on the 19th! I've never seen a rebate that fast.

Safe to say that some Apple Store people are more stringent about the education discount rules than others.