Pay as you Go iphone 3g???

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I read on MacRumors(must me true-LOL!)...that there maybe a "pay as you go" unsubsidized version of the iphone 3G in England. Wondering if this is true or not, and if so...would it be offered in the US as well?

Theres alot of speculation that Apple is going to force iphone 3G buyers to activate on the spot for the cheaper subsidized iphone 3Gs...so an unsubsidized pay as you go option would be a GREAT thing. I'd pay more for the flexibility of a pay as u go iphone. I travel ALOT, and this would benefit me not to be locked into a contract.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Hey Regan,

Yep thats true, we are having a PAYG 3G iPhone here in the UK, it is with the same Network, but no prices for the iPhone or plans have been set yet.

Have a look

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone

Mark.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    This is HUGE! I don't know why more people are talking about it.

I travel ALOT, and prefer a pay as you go plan. Sure the iphone will cost $600 instead of $200-$400....

BUT....you won't be locked into a $2,000 contract.

I hope they offer this option for US customers as well.

This is awesome news.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    It's pretty big. The only thing is the magic number. £299? £599? £799? ...Cynics are worried about data roaming costs with O2, but heck, there's the same issue with contract iPhones.

This is big. In the US I think it will continue to be contract-only with AT&T. As far as I can tell.

18 months is a very long contract.

But in any case, remember you can only use O2 pay-as-you-go, not any other carrier, at this stage as far as I know. You may or may not be able to go to Ireland, buy a pay-as-you-go SIM there, and use in your UK-bought iPhone 3G. I don't know about this point yet.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

This is HUGE! I don't know why more people are talking about it.

I travel ALOT, and prefer a pay as you go plan. Sure the iphone will cost $600 instead of $200-$400....

BUT....you won't be locked into a $2,000 contract.

I hope they offer this option for US customers as well.

This is awesome news.

Pay-as-you-go doesn't necessarily mean unlocked, or does it? I don't know the answer, but I imagine Apple could still be locking the phone to the carrier even though you pre-pay for your usage.

Personally, I want an unlocked iphone while still having a contract with ATT, so I can switch to a local SIM/number when overseas.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applefrenzy View Post

Pay-as-you-go doesn't necessarily mean unlocked, or does it? I don't know the answer, but I imagine Apple could still be locking the phone to the carrier even though you pre-pay for your usage.

Personally, I want an unlocked iphone while still having a contract with ATT, so I can switch to a local SIM/number when overseas.

PAYGO doesn't mean unlocked at all. You are still attached to a carrier. It simply means you prepay for minutes instead of post paying.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    From the o2 website

Pay & Go customers can now enjoy all the great features of the iPhone without a monthly contract.

The new 3G 8GB iPhone for Pay & Go will be available for £299.99 and 16GB for £359.99. This also includes unlimited browsing and Wi-Fi for the first 6 months after you activate your iPhone*.

At the end of the six months you can continue to receive unlimited browsing and Wi-Fi for just £10 per month. We'll notify you at the end of the six month period by text and you can easily unsubscribe if you choose to do so.

You'll also be able to choose one of our standard Pay & Go tariffs to use with your iPhone. The more you top-up each month, the more free minutes or texts you'll receive.