Son of eMate lives! Will Apple join the cheap laptop party?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Low-cost PCs are all the rage now, with Daewoo being the latest to join the party with a new laptop aimed at the Education market.

While I know Apple will not water down its brand with an ultra low-margin machine, not offering a sub-$1000 machine is eventually going to see Macs booted from the Education market.

Education has been a target market for Apple since the early days.

With OpenOffice for Mac OS X coming in the fall and iTunes winning the fight for young hearts and minds, I can't see how Apple can stand back and allow the Mac to be kicked out of the Education market altogether.

Problem is, like the eMate and 17" CRT iMac, any low-cost education machine introduced will bring considerable pressure on Apple to make it available to the general market.

How does Apple deal with today's Education market?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Low-cost PCs are all the rage now, with Daewoo being the latest to join the party with a new laptop aimed at the Education market.

While I know Apple will not water down its brand with an ultra low-margin machine, not offering a sub-$1000 machine is eventually going to see Macs booted from the Education market.

Education has been a target market for Apple since the early days.

With OpenOffice for Mac OS X coming in the fall and iTunes winning the fight for young hearts and minds, I can't see how Apple can stand back and allow the Mac to be kicked out of the Education market altogether.

Problem is, like the eMate and 17" CRT iMac, any low-cost education machine introduced will bring considerable pressure on Apple to make it available to the general market.

How does Apple deal with today's Education market?

Apple is doomed!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Apple is doomed!

No-one claimed they were doomed.

Just that low-cost laptops are a serious threat to Apple's place in the education market.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:

Just that low-cost laptops are a serious threat to Apple's place in the education market.

How do they manage without your insighst?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    Quote:

I'll have to disagree with you there. My college has a room full of about 15 iMacs, 3 Power Mac G4s and one Mac Pro. All these are loaded with final cut pro and express on some others.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    The only reason I can see to buy cheap crap is that they are thrown away every year. If that's the case it's time to teach kids how to maintain their tools...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    True, but education budgets for K12 schools are almost certainly going to take a hit, given the present economic climate. The bureaucrats have eaten Apple's lunch before, and will not hesitate to do so again.