New Notebook?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Alright so I'll be leaving home for six weeks on Friday and I need a notebook. I'll be using this notebook for college so I want to get one that won't be outdated or have a newer model within a year. Obviously I plan on purchasing a MacBook, but I can't wait until mid summer for the potential redesigns. I may go ahead and get the Air. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squamden View Post

Alright so I'll be leaving home for six weeks on Friday and I need a notebook. I'll be using this notebook for college so I want to get one that won't be outdated or have a newer model within a year. Obviously I plan on purchasing a MacBook, but I can't wait until mid summer for the potential redesigns. I may go ahead and get the Air. What do you guys think?

The odds are so far against you, that you may as well forget about buying any computer. Why do I say that? Because, you will never buy a computer that isn't updated within a year, if not sooner.

What you do not understand is that if you buy a computer that works for you, and a new model replaces it, it will still function as before. OR, are you not as interested in the capabilities of the machine as you are in the bragging rights that come with having the latest and greatest?
  • Reply 2 of 26
    if you want one that won't be refreshed in a year... you will be looking for a long time. Usually mac laptops have refreshes every 6 months or so
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Sorry what I meant was that I don't want to get a MacBook or MacBook Pro because of the inevitable redesigns. The small speed bumps that Apple always gives their laptops don't concern me too much. I love the Air's portability I think it would be a great laptop for college, but I'm hesitant about buying it because it's awfully slow, and the solid state hard drive doesn't hold that much data.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    Just because Apple are updating the MB and MBP soon doesn't mean their current models are going to be poor in comparison. I'd buy now regardless of the refresh.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:

Sorry what I meant was that I don't want to get a MacBook or MacBook Pro because of the inevitable redesigns. The small speed bumps that Apple always gives their laptops don't concern me too much. I love the Air's portability I think it would be a great laptop for college, but I'm hesitant about buying it because it's awfully slow, and the solid state hard drive doesn't hold that much data.

Please explain to me HTH a redesign effects any computer that you might own. You are too wrapped up in hype to ever be happy with any model. Give yourself break! Buy what you want, and ignore the market until you're ready to replace it.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    celemourncelemourn Posts: 769member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Please explain to me HTH a redesign effects any computer that you might own. You are too wrapped up in hype to ever be happy with any model. Give yourself break! Buy what you want, and ignore the market until you're ready to replace it.

Nonsense. Back in 98 I got a PB G3 Wallstreet. Very shortly thereafter the next major revision came out, which just happened to be the first mac laptop with built in USB. The lack of USB caused me great annoyance for quite a while, and I was forced to use a PCMCIA adapter. Also, the revision had built in DVD decoder and drive, which, again, I had to get a PCMCIA card for. There are definite advantages to waiting if a MAJOR revision is right around the corner. Minor speed bumps are trivial, but the major revisions can have a profound impact on how you use your computer, and how long it will be in the 'up to date' category.

The problem, as has been pointed out so many times in the past, is that whether an update will be a major or minor one is often a crapshoot. At this time though, it seems like we have pretty consistent intell that a major revision is coming, don't we?

I say hold off if you can, and if you can't, get a cheep used laptop, maybe a g4 or something, that you can replace later without a huge loss of investment.

C
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:

Bear in mind that the Air also comes with/accepts a standard hard drive. Cheeper, larger, and easier to wipe if the feds come after you. (j/k)

One very important thing that I want to point out, as an aside, is that a very significant change in video technology is just around the corner. Whether or not Apple will ever adopt it, and when, remain to be seen, but open standard, called MXM, which nVidia is developing, promises to solve the most glaring limitation on laptops today: non-upgradable video cards. Again, let me go back to that PB G3 I had. The Rage128 chip got old, very fast. In fact, it was such a disappointment that I turned to the dark side and used windows for 7 years. (luckily I'm back to my senses now).

I'm sure there are a lot more VERY compelling technologies that Apple will eventually drop into future models of notebooks. Again though, crapshoot.

C
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

Nonsense. Back in 98 I got a PB G3 Wallstreet. Very shortly thereafter the next major revision came out, which just happened to be the first mac laptop with built in USB. The lack of USB caused me great annoyance for quite a while, and I was forced to use a PCMCIA adapter. Also, the revision had built in DVD decoder and drive, which, again, I had to get a PCMCIA card for. There are definite advantages to waiting if a MAJOR revision is right around the corner. Minor speed bumps are trivial, but the major revisions can have a profound impact on how you use your computer, and how long it will be in the 'up to date' category.

The problem, as has been pointed out so many times in the past, is that whether an update will be a major or minor one is often a crapshoot. At this time though, it seems like we have pretty consistent intell that a major revision is coming, don't we?

I say hold off if you can, and if you can't, get a cheep used laptop, maybe a g4 or something, that you can replace later without a huge loss of investment.

C

I see, You recommend to do nothing, don't buy a entirely useable machine, because of a new revision, that might make your purchase worthless? Do you how how silly that is? People that wait, never have anything. Has Apple told YOU what their plans are? Not bloody likely!
  • Reply 9 of 26
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:

I personally think the Air is overpriced. I just bought the 2.4 MBPro and love it. It's completely feature rich and only weighs ~2lbs more than the Air. The larger 15in screen was really important to me as I normally work on a 24in monitor.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

I personally think the Air is overpriced. I just bought the 2.4 MBPro and love it. It's completely feature rich and only weighs ~2lbs more than the Air. The larger 15in screen was really important to me as I normally work on a 24in monitor.

Some sanity is displayed here, the OP, should read it! But, he wants trendy, not useful.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

I see, You recommend to do nothing, don't buy a entirely useable machine, because of a new revision, that might make your purchase worthless? Do you how how silly that is? People that wait, never have anything. Has Apple told YOU what their plans are? Not bloody likely!

Nonsense again. A new revision does not make the old revision worthless. Stop trying to polarize the discussion. Jumping to purchase now when there is HIGH LIKELYHOOD that a major update is comming is STUPID if you don't have to make the purchase NOW. It's called delayed gratification, and it works wonders when used intelligently. If uses as a hard rule, never to be deviated from then you would never buy anything and that would be (arguably) even dumber. The point is TIMING. THAT requires intelligence. I am, of course, making the assumption that anyone reading this thread has the CAPACITY for doing reasonable research and making an intelligent decision. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you just like obeying one rule mindlessly. Maybe you're the type of person who votes only for one party no matter who is running, or what office they are running for. Maybe you're an idiot who is better off NOT thinking. I sure hope not.

C

****EDIT****

<sigh> Well, I just whipped through your post history zinfella, and it looks like you actually ARE an idiot. The majority of your posts are insulting, inane, and worthless. If you have a need to crack insults at people you don't know, go fucking do it somewhere else. If you feel like contributing useful content to the community, as you did in this post, and this post, then cut with the crap and stop posting every ADHD wise ass remark that pops into your head.

****EDIT****

****EDIT AGAIN****

Sorry, should have said 'snide' not 'inane'. My bad. :P

****EDIT AGAIN****
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

Nonsense again. A new revision does not make the old revision worthless. Stop trying to polarize the discussion. Jumping to purchase now when there is HIGH LIKELYHOOD that a major update is comming is STUPID if you don't have to make the purchase NOW. It's called delayed gratification, and it works wonders when used intelligently. If uses as a hard rule, never to be deviated from then you would never buy anything and that would be (arguably) even dumber. The point is TIMING. THAT requires intelligence. I am, of course, making the assumption that anyone reading this thread has the CAPACITY for doing reasonable research and making an intelligent decision. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you just like obeying one rule mindlessly. Maybe you're the type of person who votes only for one party no matter who is running, or what office they are running for. Maybe you're an idiot who is better off NOT thinking. I sure hope not.

C

****EDIT****

<sigh> Well, I just whipped through your post history zinfella, and it looks like you actually ARE an idiot. The majority of your posts are insulting, inane, and worthless. If you have a need to crack insults at people you don't know, go fucking do it somewhere else. If you feel like contributing useful content to the community, then cut with the crap and stop posting every ADHD wise ass remark that pops into your head.

****EDIT****

Not only does your advice suck, but you can't control yourself. You read all my posts, WTF are you, the post police? The OP is SO concerned about getting a major upgraded machine, that he is considering a MacBook Air! That ought to show how concerned he is about performance.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    <grabs popcorn>
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

<grabs popcorn>

"Yeah, I want the newest fastest car on the market, and I'm afraid that a faster one will be introduced as soon as I buy one. I'm thinking about am electric car, in the meantime."
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

Not only does your advice suck, but you can't control yourself. You read all my posts, WTF are you, the post police? The OP is SO concerned about getting a major upgraded machine, that he is considering a MacBook Air! That ought to show how concerned he is about performance.

Actually, that was a very carefully measured dose of vitriol. And I like to make sure that people I flame actually deserve it, before I do it.

C
  • Reply 16 of 26
    [QUOTE=Celemourn;1269487]Actually, that was a very carefully measured dose of vitriol. And I like to make sure that people I flame actually deserve it, before I do it.

You're a regular internet karate champ. Am I supposed to feel chastised now?
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Bah. Stupid Firefox.

Why isn't there a delete button?
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:

You're a regular internet karate champ. Am I supposed to feel chastised now?

You and Elixir would be great friends!
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Alright I see a little feud started since I last posted. Zinfella, you have greatly misunderstood me, so I will try to make myself clearer. Currently I have a 24 inch iMac, and I plan on bringing it with me to college. What I need is a Mac notebook that is easy to bring from class to class, and I don't need it to be super powerful, as I can use my desktop for all of my programs that require top of the line hardware. I purchased my iMac last summer. I had decided on purchasing one well before that, but I waited for the redesign, and I am very happy with my decision. I don't need a MacBook Pro, as I have a powerful desktop, so I am between the Air and whatever the next MacBook will be. I don't know what Apple has up their sleeves, but for over 1,000 dollars, I want to purchase as you said, the latest and the greatest.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

Alright I see a little feud started since I last posted. Zinfella, you have greatly misunderstood me, so I will try to make myself clearer. Currently I have a 24 inch iMac, and I plan on bringing it with me to college. What I need is a Mac notebook that is easy to bring from class to class, and I don't need it to be super powerful, as I can use my desktop for all of my programs that require top of the line hardware. I purchased my iMac last summer. I had decided on purchasing one well before that, but I waited for the redesign, and I am very happy with my decision. I don't need a MacBook Pro, as I have a powerful desktop, so I am between the Air and whatever the next MacBook will be. I don't know what Apple has up their sleeves, but for over 1,000 dollars, I want to purchase as you said, the latest and the greatest.

Fine, but the Air is was never intended for college. It's a high priced, lightweight, travel machine. You'd be better off with a MacBook, and certainly save some money in the bargain, over an Air.