Briefly: 8AM iPhone rumor; iTunes TV shows for Oz; iPhone 3G parts

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
There's a possibility Apple and AT&T may launch the iPhone 3G on the morning of July 11th rather than in the evening. Meanwhile, Austalians woke up this morning to a new iTunes TV service offering. And a more detailed component list from iSuppli's "virtual" iPhone 3G teardown is now available.

iPhone 3G could launch at 8:00 a.m.

There's an unsupported rumor floating around that AT&T store managers are being told that the July 11th iPhone 3G launch will kick off at 8:00 a.m. local time, rather than 6:00 p.m. like last year.

Unfortunately, the rumor is based off a single tip that several publications are working to confirm, but hadn't as of press time. Such a move would obviously aim to ease first-day sales lines given that a new activation process will require customers to at least partially activate their new handsets during the point of sale.

Though Apple and its partners have been slow to release information regarding iPhone 3G launch procedures and call plan options, they eventually will and it will and all that information will be presented clearly and concisely for AppleInsider readers. As such, it's recommended that prospective buyers wait arrival of the official details in days ahead rather than get tangled up in rumors.

iTunes Australia adds TV shows

Australia became the latest country to receive TV shows at the iTunes Store on Tuesday. The new section of the local service, which arrived without a formal announcement, contains listings for ABC Studios, Disney, MTV, Nine Network and the Australian Broadcasting Corporation; though a number of the shows are American, such as Lost, Scrubs, Pimp My Ride and Hannah Montana. There are also a number of Australian-produced series, such as Sleek Geeks, We Can Be Heroes and McLeod's Daughters.

Unlike the American or UK storefronts, prices at the Australian store are consistent across the board at $2.99 AUS per episode. There are no season passes however, which forces shoppers to buy seasons at costs that may be higher than an equivalent DVD set.

iSuppli's virtual iPhone 3G teardown and BOM

iSuppli revealed today that its widely covered iPhone 3G teardown was performed virtually, "using insights from [its] analysis staff to develop estimates of iPhone content, suppliers and costs.."

"The analysis team consisted of iSuppli?s leading experts in the areas of teardown analysis, semiconductors, displays, mobile handsets, consumer electronics and wireless infrastructure," the firm said in a statement. "iSuppli had planned to withhold any analysis of iPhone content and costs until it had conducted an actual physical teardown of the product. However, due to strong popular demand for information on iPhone costs and pricing, iSuppli has decided to release a preliminary analysis to the public."

The market intelligence firm promises to perform an actual, detailed teardown of the new iPhone?s components and cost structure once the handset becomes available.

In the meantime, a breakdown of the virtual teardown is being provided below. An analysis of the breakdown was presented on Monday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    That would suck to wake up that early. I recently visited an Apple Store and spoke to a genius bar person. I asked them if they were doing the 6pm launch again and he said they are. I dont know if he was supposed to tell me, because when someone overheard him talking they were saying that he is only aloud to say, "its not on the website yet," or something along the lines. Either way, I hope I just get one.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Considering the source for the rumor is "Boy Genius" I wouldn't put a lot of weight into it considering the track record of iPhone predictions.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

That could be 8AM PDT. 11AM EDT. 4PM London. 5PM Paris. In other words, it might be a worldwide "all launch at once" event. That would make sense considering how much emphasis Steve put on the # of countries in his keynote.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    So, am I the only one who thinks iSuppli is full of crap?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

That could be 8AM PDT. 11AM EDT. 4PM London. 5PM Paris. In other words, it might be a worldwide "all launch at once" event. That would make sense considering how much emphasis Steve put on the # of countries in his keynote.

Last year it was the same time within each each time zone. Id est, NYC will sell at 8am EST and LA will sell at 11am EST, while London and Paris selling at 3am EST and 2am EST, respectively.

They all sell that day with New Zealand being the first, I think.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No not the only one. You can include me in that assessment.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    A teardown and costing of a virtual phone! Do they think people are idiots?

It's called guessing.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Last year it was the same time within each each time zone. Id est, NYC will sell at 8am EST and LA will sell at 11am EST, while London and Paris selling at 3am EST and 2am EST, respectively.

They all sell that day with New Zealand being the first, I think.

I agree with you, but then again I think most people are full of shit. Really, there's nothing better than a detailed breakdown of component costs... guess.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    minminminmin Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Do we purchase already by 9PM, 10th July in Tokyo? Sounds nice, but no one believe.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    I'm not calling anyone a liar, so please don't take this as such.

I had the opposite experience. When I was at the Apple store yesterday, they told me they would have the phones available for purchase when the store opened in the morning. She didn't say anything about an early opening.

It makes the most sense to me that they would simply offer the phone when stores first open.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ringemaster View Post

I'm not calling anyone a liar, so please don't take this as such.

I had the opposite experience. When I was at the Apple store yesterday, they told me they would have the phones available for purchase when the store opened in the morning. She didn't say anything about an early opening.

It makes the most sense to me that they would simply offer the phone when stores first open.

8am may or may not be an early opening. Some may open early that day to accommodate or they may just open at their normal time. It may depend on the store as I believe malls have some strict rules and associated penalties regarding being open earlier or later than normal, including not being open when you should be.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I think iSuppli MAY be full of solid waste, but not necessarily. However, even they admit (in a roundabout way) that their numbers are, for now, pure guesswork by their own staff.

At least their numbers do include manufacturing, but to exclude software development and many other indirect but vital costs means that their stated profit on an iPhone is way off.

That problem may be less with iSuppli, though, and more with people who take iSuppli's numbers to mean more than they do. iSuppli's info (and even their guesses) are interesting--just don't take them as any more than a piece of a larger equation.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    I heard that AT&T is going to deliver each iPhone to the customers home and their is no contract.

It's on the Internet...

IT HAS TO BE TRUE.

BELIEVE IT WHEN YOU GET YOUR LOCAL PHONE CARRIERS PRESS RELEASE AND NOT THE BS ON RUMOR SITES.

I plan on recording my experience with the new front video conferencing screen. I'll post on YouTube for all of you to see.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidnowsGuy View Post

I heard that AT&T is going to deliver each iPhone to the customers home and their is no contract.

It's on the Internet...

IT HAS TO BE TRUE.

BELIEVE IT WHEN YOU GET YOUR LOCAL PHONE CARRIERS PRESS RELEASE AND NOT THE BS ON RUMOR SITES.

I plan on recording my experience with the new front video conferencing screen. I'll post on YouTube for all of you to see.

Two words: Excuse me?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    This forum feeds on BS and rumors. If every rumor were to come true for the iPhone we'd have the next coming of Jesus.

Get REAL... THIS IS A RUMOR ROOM AND NONE OF IT IS TRUE UNTIL WE HAVE A PRESS RELEASE FROM THE VENDOR.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

This forum feeds on BS and rumors. If every rumor were to come true for the iPhone we'd have the next coming of Jesus.

Get REAL... THIS IS A RUMOR ROOM AND NONE OF IT IS TRUE UNTIL WE HAVE A PRESS RELEASE FROM THE VENDOR.

....says WidnowsGuy

C'mon, give them a break. That's what we come here for, it's rumors, but sometimes they can be accurate. Honestly though, we'll just have to wait and see. Even Apple employees don't know specifics, believe me, I know they don't know the specifics.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    hutchohutcho Posts: 132member
    What is the "improved touch screen" that they have down for $20 more? I haven't heard about the new iPhone having a better screen than the last one.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

What is the "improved touch screen" that they have down for $20 more? I haven't heard about the new iPhone having a better screen than the last one.

They also have Display listed for $20. Since Apple's site lists the iPhone with the exact same screen I have no idea what they could mean. Better capacitance capabilities? And if it is better how the hell do they do?

PS: I was hoping for a higher res display. I wonder if they didn't do it because of additional power draw and/or the SDK and OS X iPhone need to be updated to account for different resolution devices.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

No not the only one. You can include me in that assessment.

Me too.

And, I'd like to add to it my frustration with the confound of 'gross', 'operating' and 'net' margins that these guys engender with their 'teardowns'.... and how much of the press just picks it up and runs with it as though these are interchangeable terms. It's just basic finance illiteracy.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

OK, you've proved your name.

What's your point?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

There's an unsupported rumor floating around that AT&T store managers are being told that the July 11th iPhone 3G launch will kick off at 8:00 a.m. local time, rather than 6:00 p.m. like last year.

a couple of things to keep in mind about this rumor that might help with the 'believe it or not" issue.

1. many apple stores are in malls and the malls are less likely to want to have folks lining up all night (issues of security etc). where I live, there are 7 malls in a reasonable distance all with Apple stores. only one allowed anyone to be there before 7am and that one the police wouldn't allow anyone before 5am. the rest it was only when the mall opened for business at 9 or 10 am.

2. Apple is so nutty that the phones might not even arrive in the stores until 8am that day. perhaps later. talking with the guys last year at the store I bought at, the phones arrived about 11am, they closed from 12 noon until 6pm, changed the demo tables etc behind giant black out curtains, then were trained for 2-3 hours, everyone had their dinner and the doors opened for sales.

I wouldn't be shocked if a same day arrival happened this year as well.