Local Store inventory on web

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is there a way to check the availability of merchandise in my local mac store?

You know - like best buy, you pick an item, enter your zip, and a list of stores that have that item in stock show up...

The Apple Store web site seems to have zero info on local stores.

(I am looking to see if they carry the cintiq locally)

Thanks for any feedback

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azcoder View Post

Is there a way to check the availability of merchandise in my local mac store?

You know - like best buy, you pick an item, enter your zip, and a list of stores that have that item in stock show up...

The Apple Store web site seems to have zero info on local stores.

(I am looking to see if they carry the cintiq locally)

Thanks for any feedback

Why not call the store and simply ask?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    azcoderazcoder Posts: 44member
    Calling is definitely less convenient...you would have to call each store individually to see if it was in stock, let alone the wait time.

Seems very silly in this day and age.

BTW - I can't even seem to be a able to get the local store number from the main Web site.

It's like they are online only.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    [QUOTE=azcoder;1269614]Calling is definitely less convenient...you would have to call each store individually to see if it was in stock, let alone the wait time.

Seems very silly in this day and age.

BTW - I can't even seem to be a able to get the local store number from the main Web site.

It's like they are online only.[/QUOTEp

I don't know what city you live in, let alone which particular stores you're talking about. I can tell you that Best Buy doesn't even handle every model of Mac, but their phone numbers are available online. So are the numbers for the Apple Stores. However, you must remember that these are retail stores, and they do not show their inventory online. Many online only sources don't show their inventory. Even if their inventory was online, it can change instantly with sales.

Safe to say that the Apple Stores are very likely to have all but custom order machines in stock, and ready for delivery. Custom order machines are not likely to be seen at any store.

As for keeping tally of each individual store, that requires someone to maintain that info, and that person has to be paid. That cuts needlessly into profits. Personally, I don't see the need for that info, when it's a simple matter to locate the particular model that you're interested in.

Here, we have 3 Apple Stores, Lord knows how many Best Buys (I do not shop at Best Buy for starters) and we have multiple Fry's, plus an independent reseller two. My choice out of the entire bunch is The Apple Stores. HTH

A quick online look shows that Best Buy has the 12.1" Cintiq online only. Apple sells it, but does not say whether or not it's stocked at their retail locations. You will either have to call, or go to the stores to find out. Calling seems preferable to me, YMMV.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Another problem with online inventory reporting is product being held for a customer.

I live over an hour and a half travel time away from my nearest Apple Store and will call ahead and see if they have what I want before leaving the house. If they have the item in stock they will place it on hold it for me to come and pick it up that day. If not I saved over three hours of driving. In the mean time Apples' inventory control system will show the item as being in stock until I arrive and actually purchase the item. I know I would be pissed if after traveling all that distance to buy something just to find out that all the items were sold while I was in route.