Confirmed: Older graphics card not supported by OSX

Comments

• Reply 41 of 357
    OS X is slow on G4 Powermacs? Really?!

I use a G3 500mhz based iBook 2001 running OS X exclusively, with 384megs RAM. It seems decent enough for me, and I do some very funky stuff with it. True, I dont run PhotoShop+iMovie+Framemaker at the same time. But I do compile tons of Unix goodies on my iBook, and run them just fine...I also throw the display from my Sun Solaris machine to my iBook (XDarwin) and it works nicely.

Anyways, Apple should definitely support the damn video card in the old iMacs, specially if they list the machine as supported. If they want to be taken seriously, they have to do this. People will STILL buy new hardware, even if their old iMac runs OS X...because once people see the OS, they'll WANT new hardware! Forcing people does not get them to buy new hardware from you.

Look at Sun...Solaris 8 is supported (AND WORKS!)on super old machines such as the Sparcstation 5! Thats multiple generations ago!

-Moazam

[quote]Originally posted by Fred Bear:

<strong>People,

OS X is still slow on G4 Powermacs. To while about old(er) graphics cards is a waste of time. Things must changer here or there. I think that apple moving to OS X stopped being 'smooth' when all applications had to be 'carbonized'. I am sorry for all of you with older graphics cards, but I am sure that Apple didn’t do this just to spite you. Look at graphics cards today compared to 2 years ago, there is quite a difference. All of you must also remember that there is much more power in the damn GPU its self than in the drivers.</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 42 of 357
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member

<strong>People,

OS X is still slow on G4 Powermacs. To while about old(er) graphics cards is a waste of time. Things must changer here or there. I think that apple moving to OS X stopped being 'smooth' when all applications had to be 'carbonized'. I am sorry for all of you with older graphics cards, but I am sure that Apple didn?t do this just to spite you. Look at graphics cards today compared to 2 years ago, there is quite a difference. All of you must also remember that there is much more power in the damn GPU its self than in the drivers.</strong><hr></blockquote>

um, we aren't expecting a breakthrough here.

we are expecting what we are able to get in OS 9. these chips and cards work perfecty fine in OS 9. Apple won't write OS X drivers so they are useless. if they were just as slow/fast as in OS 9 I could give a shit less. All I want is for them to work.
  • Reply 43 of 357

<strong>People,

OS X is still slow on G4 Powermacs. To while about old(er) graphics cards is a waste of time. Things must changer here or there. I think that apple moving to OS X stopped being 'smooth' when all applications had to be 'carbonized'. I am sorry for all of you with older graphics cards, but I am sure that Apple didn?t do this just to spite you. Look at graphics cards today compared to 2 years ago, there is quite a difference. All of you must also remember that there is much more power in the damn GPU its self than in the drivers.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Apple Apologist (TM)
  • Reply 44 of 357
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>Apple Apologist (TM)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Annoying (TM)
  • Reply 45 of 357
    This problem is a result of Jobs' policy of

JUST **** 'EM!
  • Reply 46 of 357
    Does OS 9 have transparent windows, etc??? The OS's are not similiar in their graphic requiorements. Just because it woks in OS 9 doesnt mean in OS X...
  • Reply 47 of 357

<strong>Does OS 9 have transparent windows, etc??? The OS's are not similiar in their graphic requiorements. Just because it woks in OS 9 doesnt mean in OS X...</strong><hr></blockquote>

and that has what to do with OpenGL?

can you think before posting?
  • Reply 48 of 357

<strong>Does OS 9 have transparent windows, etc??? The OS's are not similiar in their graphic requiorements. Just because it woks in OS 9 doesnt mean in OS X...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Apple Apologist (TM)
  • Reply 49 of 357
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Scott, it's really getting annoying now.
  • Reply 50 of 357
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Scott, it's really getting annoying now.</strong><hr></blockquote>

He's a Republican. What can you expect?
  • Reply 51 of 357
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    No, seriously, it has to do with lashing out in any direction with his anger. Scott's anger is justified, but it's starting to be indiscriminate and he's not only insulting people, but in effect throwing himself on the floor going "lalalalalalala." Scott, I expect more of you. Keep your focus.
  • Reply 52 of 357
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Is he actually wrong about anything?

Dispute his content, not him. Of course, you can't in this situation because Apple dropped the ball and apparently doesn't want to bother picking it up.

I believe the key ingredient to an Apple Apologist is making an idiotic defense against an obvious truth for the sole purpose of making sure Apple isn't blamed for something. He was dead-on in both accusations.
  • Reply 53 of 357
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    [quote]Originally posted by Codename:

<strong>

He's a Republican. What can you expect?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah cause we all know Democrats can't be annoying.
  • Reply 54 of 357
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>I believe the key ingredient to an Apple Apologist is making an idiotic defense against an obvious truth for the sole purpose of making sure Apple isn't blamed for something. He was dead-on in both accusations.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Like your reasoning MS isn't guilty of anti-competitive behavior?
  • Reply 55 of 357
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Allow me to repeat for the hard of reading:

His ripe is legit. His attitude towards others is obnoxious. Get it?

Ah, the joy of a relatively anonymous forum -- you can be an ass and no one can confront you face to face.
  • Reply 56 of 357
    [quote]yea, but Apple is suppose to be different. that's why we are apple users. that's why I'm an "applenut". It's suppose to be a community. Apple is suppose to take care of us, not be the corporate ass you says your 2 year old computer is legacy and won't be supported anymore.<hr></blockquote>

Maybe that's why you are so upset - you've discovered that Apple is a company!

Sure they make it seem like they are everybody's friends, and sure because they are the small guy they often have to go that extra mile. However, Apple like other companies screws up now and then, and makes decisions like this. This is just reality, there is no alternative.

Maybe you'd be happier in the Linux community (where money is not a factor), but then again you'd be without a lot of the backing and advantages money can bring.

Either boot into OS 9 to play QT movies or run OpenGl games, or else otherwise act on the reality.

How do QT movies run in QT via Classic?
  • Reply 57 of 357
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    [quote]Like your reasoning MS isn't guilty of anti-competitive behavior?<hr></blockquote>

Well of course Microsoft is guilty of anti-competitive behavior, every company worth a damn is guilty of anti-competitive behavior. Releasing a better product at a lower price is anti-competitive. My being smarter than you is anti-competitive.

Microsoft broke monopoly rules and is being "punished", what is your obsession?
  • Reply 58 of 357
    [quote]Originally posted by besson3c:

<strong>

Maybe that's why you are so upset - you've discovered that Apple is a company!

Sure they make it seem like they are everybody's friends, and sure because they are the small guy they often have to go that extra mile. However, Apple like other companies screws up now and then, and makes decisions like this. This is just reality, there is no alternative.

Maybe you'd be happier in the Linux community (where money is not a factor), but then again you'd be without a lot of the backing and advantages money can bring.

Either boot into OS 9 to play QT movies or run OpenGl games, or else otherwise act on the reality.

How do QT movies run in QT via Classic?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Scott you wanna do the honors on this one or should I?

• Reply 59 of 357
    So? How long will it be before Apple drops support for DVD play back for computers with DVD decoding hardware?
  • Reply 60 of 357
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>

Well of course Microsoft is guilty of anti-competitive behavior, every company worth a damn is guilty of anti-competitive behavior. Releasing a better product at a lower price is anti-competitive.<hr></blockquote></strong>

So your basically saying any company that makes it big practices illegal anti-competitive behavior? And that somehow justifies MS in doing so?

Not only is that not a true statement.. it's also more apologist behavior from grover.

[quote]<strong>

My being smarter than you is anti-competitive.

<hr></blockquote></strong>

Yup.. groverat the self-proclaimed genius.

[quote]<strong>

Microsoft broke monopoly rules and is being "punished", what is your obsession?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No obsession here.. your the one claiming MS gained it's market share purely out of having better products than the competition and not cause of anti-competitive behavior. Want me to go find you some direct quotes you made?