Comments

• Reply 81 of 189
    cg165cg165 Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikeddemus View Post

Hey.

While you're all speculating like I was last week,

I went out a bought a sick MBP.

wtf do you need that video card for? When did 512mb vc become shitty?

btw, this is the best machine I've ever come in contact with.

I LOVE THAT IT'S MINE!!! MWUAHAHA I'M FINALLY A MAC!!

That's awesome...congratulations. The reason people such as myself want a better video card is for games like crysis that make high end video cards/machines look like they're old. It isn't that 512mb is bad, the limiting factor is that it's a 128-bit card which limits it. If you load up the demo of crysis and try to put the settings on high you'll see what I mean. Of course if you don't care about gaming at all, or if you don't mind lowering the graphics settings in game, then it's more than enough machine for most people. I'm waiting only because it's supposedly this close and I don't want to buy right before an update, I'd rather buy right at whatever update there may be. I think you get the best value buying right at an update since the price point stays the same up until the next revision which then takes on the price of the old one. Just my opinion.
  • Reply 82 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HFU View Post

Both type of interfaces will allow lower physical profile for case redesign as many have preferred. This will lead to another speculation, will Apple concurrent release DisplayPort/HDMI ready ACD along with updated MBP? Many waiting for updated ACD wouldn't mind this takes precedence.

The MB and MBA style keyboard is almost for certain. It fits the style and cost. If Montevina MBP use the same case design with keyboard/touchpad top piece update, existing MBP owners can also replace the same top piece easily.

It will only go thinner, sleeker and more powerful. Aesthetic usually comes first when it comes to Apple's design. If black anodized version fits the bill of material (BOM), Apple will do it. If 9650M GT TDP is a borderline challenge in current MBP enclosure, Apple could under clock the GPU as it did for several previous MBP releases, therefore 9650M GT will still remain as an option. It all comes down if TDP fits the enclosure design.

MBP tends to retain high resale value due to minor redesign which are less noticeable to mainstream consumers.

I agree, and I'm hoping for this too. This will be my first Mac (waiting for the new MBP's) and I do like the air/MB style keyboard better.

I also think they'll keep it at 1" or possibly thinner. I would be really surprised if they make it even bigger despite the new chipset/features using LESS power. I think a lot of people don't think about performance/form-factor. Yes, the MBP's don't use the highest end video card, but there is a reason for this. The notebook is 1" thin!!! You can't jam an 8800M GTX in there and expect it to be 1" thin while having high end CPU's and everything else. There is just too much heat, this is why they stick with mid-range video cards (although still very good IMO and more than most need).
  • Reply 83 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machead99 View Post

The keyboard is a given, magnetic latch is a must, and if they're gonna add those two then they might as well make whatever small adjustments to the case they've been considering. I wouldn't mind if they added a few mm for the sake of better bits inside, and they should curve the wristpad areas because they can really dig into your hands after a while.

I'd be very VERY happy with 5mm thicker, more curved, black anodised MBP with a 9650M GT. Likelihood?

You must be the only person in the world who wants a thicker (heavier) lap top. If you don't care about weight and portability, why don't you just buy a Mac Pro? .

I agree with HFU that mag latch of MBA and new key board should be a dead cert.

A 20 mm depth or even a 22mm depth versus 25 mm (1-inch thickness) of current machine would be an improvement especially if it has more bevelled edges.

In fact, the more i read this thread, the more I think that many buyers simply want a MacBook Air with a DVD drive, all the necessary ports, and a decent GPU - think MacBook Pro 13". I want a machine that is powerful but easily portable and that can be hooked up to a large screen.

I only like the MacBook Pro because it is so powerful. I just wish that what it offers could be packaged in a less heavy and bulky enclosure.
  • Reply 84 of 189
    Two things quickly:

The quarter breakdown upthread is Apple's financial quarters. Intel's release schedule is generally cited in calendar quarters (where Q1 = Jan-Mar, Q2 = Apr.-June, etc.), so Q1 '09 does mean Jan 09 - March 09. Q3 '08 will run from 7/1 - 9/30.

Secondly, MacBook Pros will not move to 16:9 screens. The point of a 16:10 screen in the first place is "16:9 + menu bar and tools" for graphics and video professionals. On a Pro laptop, I don't see that changing. On the MB maybe.
  • Reply 85 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post

Two things quickly:

The quarter breakdown upthread is Apple's financial quarters. Intel's release schedule is generally cited in calendar quarters (where Q1 = Jan-Mar, Q2 = Apr.-June, etc.), so Q1 '09 does mean Jan 09 - March 09. Q3 '08 will run from 7/1 - 9/30.

Secondly, MacBook Pros will not move to 16:9 screens. The point of a 16:10 screen in the first place is "16:9 + menu bar and tools" for graphics and video professionals. On a Pro laptop, I don't see that changing. On the MB maybe.

Yeah, that was another rumor I wasn't sure about either. I think there are 4 things that are almost a sure thing which include:

1.) Montevina chipset (with slightly faster clock speeds and 1066 FSB)

2.) DDR3 Ram Support

3.) New GPU

4.) Bigger Hard Drives

My thoughts are that those will be the definites, I think that's being conservative don't you think? Other things I've heard include:

New Keyboard / trackpad like the Macbook Air's

Support for 8gb ram

Higher resolutions on the screens / different sized screens

Am I missing anything? I think the first 4 are almost a definite comparing them to the new laptops from other vendors coming out. Of course I could be wrong about everything since it's all speculation

Any rumors I missed or things you think are a sure thing?
  • Reply 86 of 189
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cg165 View Post

Am I missing anything?

- DisplayPort

- BluRay drive option

- user-upgradable HD

- SSD HD option

- built-in HD res camera

• Reply 87 of 189
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post

Two things quickly:

This makes sense to me...otherwise I would guess they'd have already moved to 16:9.
  • Reply 88 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

- DisplayPort

- BluRay drive option

- user-upgradable HD

- SSD HD option

- built-in HD res camera

- DisplayPort -- I'm not too sure what the big deal is with DisplayPort I keep hearing about. I'd like HDMI though since my TV has an HDMI input. I'm not really sure if they're compatible but I thought I read they are in competition which is pretty confusing if you ask me. If DisplayPort is not compatible with HDMI, what can you hook it up to?

- BluRay drive option -- I don't honestly see a point in that. The only reason I say this is because if I had one I would want it to have a burner and the technology isn't there yet IMO. I think they are too slow still and it would take forever to burn a whole disc.

- user-upgradable HD -- That sounds nice and I'd definitely welcome that.

- SSD HD option -- aren't these still too expensive? I guess they could have it as an option, I'm thinking it won't be. Although it wouldn't be a bad thing if they make all of these things options or even add them in as long as the price point stays the same, I'm alright with that.

- built-in HD res camera -- Hmmm, never thought of that. Aren't the cameras in it now good? An HD res camera would be good too of course, but mostly the camera built in would be used for video chatting and the quality is based pretty much on internet speed. Actually I take that back...making youtube videos and whatever else it could be used for. Yeah, that would be useful actually... I wonder how many of these things they'll add. We'll just have to wait and see. I listed the for sure things that I thought would be in it, I don't think there are much doubts as to seeing those things but like I said who knows...
  • Reply 89 of 189
    An SSD option is an interesting point.

If a 128 Gb or 160 Gb drive is available for the same cost as a 64 Gb drive in the MacBook Air, i.e. $1,000, would people go for it?

A MacBook Pro costing well north of $3,000 is starting to look mighty expensive if you ask me.

When a 256 Gb SSD drive is available at perhaps no more than a $200 premium, then maybe SSd starts to make sense. We're quite some way away from that still.
  • Reply 90 of 189
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Awesome. The first thing you should do is install Windows Vista in Bootcamp and play Crysis!!! Muah ah h ah h a LOL

I just want my next notebook to be able to play WoW and Conan without overheating. I think that the overheating issue on the current macbook pro must be a design flaw - play WoW for half an hour and it gets up to 80 degrees C.
  • Reply 91 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crocodile View Post

A MacBook Pro costing well north of $3,000 is starting to look mighty expensive if you ask me.

That is exactly the problem - and the point. Everything about the MacBook Pro is designed for mainstream needs. There is no high-end option on anything. Even the built-to-order options seem to be carefully weighted towards mainstream requests.

A couple years back high end PowerBooks cost easily north of $5,000 and people still bought them - and $5,000 then was a lot more money than it is today. There are people who are willing to spend more money - if they could.

To this day I don't understand why Apple doesn't offer built-to-order options for:

- SSD instead of HD (any size available on the market)

- 15" screens with true HD 1920x1080 resolution (or 1920x1200)

- choice of graphics card

- choice of second HD and bigger battery instead of CD drive

I don't care if it's <1% who want any of these. Since it is built-to-order it doesn't cost Apple anything as the buyer would have to wait for the parts to arrive anyway. As long as they engineer the hardware to be able to accommodate these options, offering these options themselves don't pose any extra costs.

If there is someone out there who wants to spend an extra $2000 on a big SSD why not offer it? Or a super-dense LCD screen?

It's a bit sickening to see how amazingly customizable DULL laptops are. Their choices are not dull at all... It's the Apple choices which are dull.
  • Reply 92 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crocodile View Post

An SSD option is an interesting point.

If a 128 Gb or 160 Gb drive is available for the same cost as a 64 Gb drive in the MacBook Air, i.e. $1,000, would people go for it?

When a 256 Gb SSD drive is available at perhaps no more than a $200 premium, then maybe SSd starts to make sense. We're quite some way away from that still.

Yeah, I agree with you on this. They are still too expensive for GB. Although it would be nice, I wouldn't want to pay over $3k for a computer. I'm glad they are at least coming out with bigger SSD drive's and the prices will fall over the next few years, but I can't see a decent sized SSD in it for a while. Well, I guess if they used a really small one for the OS and a regular one for everything else, but I don't know how possible that would be.
  • Reply 93 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

I just want my next notebook to be able to play WoW and Conan without overheating. I think that the overheating issue on the current macbook pro must be a design flaw - play WoW for half an hour and it gets up to 80 degrees C.

You should check out a program called "SMC Fan Control". It's a program that controls your MBP fan default, so you can set the fans to spin faster. I've seen a youtube video before and read about it helping to drop temperatures significantly especially while gaming. Sorry I don't have a direct link to a video or something, but just google it and you should be able to find it no problem. Check it out, read reviews, and download it and see if that helps you any. Let me know if it does, I don't have a MBP yet, but when the update comes I plan on getting it and would like to know how it works. Do a before and after temp check also and report back please
  • Reply 94 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

That is exactly the problem - and the point. Everything about the MacBook Pro is designed for mainstream needs. There is no high-end option on anything. Even the built-to-order options seem to be carefully weighted towards mainstream requests.

A couple years back high end PowerBooks cost easily north of $5,000 and people still bought them - and $5,000 then was a lot more money than it is today. There are people who are willing to spend more money - if they could.

To this day I don't understand why Apple doesn't offer built-to-order options for:

- SSD instead of HD (any size available on the market)

- 15" screens with true HD 1920x1080 resolution (or 1920x1200)

- choice of graphics card

- choice of second HD and bigger battery instead of CD drive

I don't care if it's <1% who want any of these. Since it is built-to-order it doesn't cost Apple anything as the buyer would have to wait for the parts to arrive anyway. As long as they engineer the hardware to be able to accommodate these options, offering these options themselves don't pose any extra costs.

If there is someone out there who wants to spend an extra $2000 on a big SSD why not offer it? Or a super-dense LCD screen?

It's a bit sickening to see how amazingly customizable DULL laptops are. Their choices are not dull at all... It's the Apple choices which are dull.

I think it would be interesting to have that high of a resolution on a 15", but I'm curious...isn't that way too small?? Have you used a 15" with that resolution? How was it if you did? I'm just curious, I would think the text/everything would be unbelievably tiny. Of course they do offer that resolution on the 17" so I guess you gotta get that if you want that for now.

I understand what you're saying though, I guess one possibility for their reasoning is to make sure everything works better by limiting hardware possibilities. It's easier to develop for less hardware to limit problems. I am just guessing, I don't actually have a clue lol. That could be why, or possibly they get better deals on that specific hardware since they put bigger orders in. Maybe when the next update happens they will offer more options, we'll (hopefully soon) find out.
  • Reply 95 of 189
    welcombwelcomb Posts: 39member
    1. BD Drive (write for DL RE discs at 4x if possible)

2. HD screen at 1920 x 1200 (16:10 or 1.6:1 or 8:5 standard for computers)

3. Disc Player (to replace DVD Player) and to support all codecs

4. DisplayPort (compatible with HDMI) and allows raw output of 8 channel PCM 24/96 audio and at least 1920 x 1200 or 1080 video

5. Montevina Platform to support it all and to add speed

6. nVidia 9xxx M to support the above and at CUDO/ Apple version for future Snow Leopard

Basically a BD drive and support for it

Later at NAB or around then if they dont attend they will update Final cut sutudio 4 and Logic Studio 2 to include a new Compressor, Disc Studio Pro and FCP and soundtrack pro with full hd and surround sound (8 channel/7.1) and codecs, etc. in a direct easy way apple makes things)

and then later iLife '08 will include a new iDisc and iMovie to catch up as well as FC Express
  • Reply 96 of 189
    here are my 2 cents... apple is going to release the new mb and mbps before college starts so they get more sales. also apple says if you buy a computer and something new comes out to replace that model that you bought within 28 days of your original purchase you can trade the old one in for the new one at no cost. so i have to report for football on aug 12 so i will buy my macbook no matter what monteiva or not then and if a new macbook comes out in 28 days which from the rumors is pretty likely and maybe even might be out by then. so no worries about buying a macbook now if you really need one.
  • Reply 97 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidson1153 View Post

here are my 2 cents... apple is going to release the new mb and mbps before college starts so they get more sales. also apple says if you buy a computer and something new comes out to replace that model that you bought within 28 days of your original purchase you can trade the old one in for the new one at no cost. so i have to report for football on aug 12 so i will buy my macbook no matter what monteiva or not then and if a new macbook comes out in 28 days which from the rumors is pretty likely and maybe even might be out by then. so no worries about buying a macbook now if you really need one.

How sure are you of this 28 days?

I purchased my MBP five days ago on the 21st. That f'n sucks. No way it comes out before the 18th. Montevina doesn't come out until the 14th - - + 2 weeks means I'm SOL.

God damn it!
  • Reply 98 of 189
    Quote:

I purchased my MBP five days ago on the 21st. That f'n sucks. No way it comes out before the 18th. Montevina doesn't come out until the 14th - - + 2 weeks means I'm SOL.

God damn it!

Serious advice: don't think about this any more.
  • Reply 99 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cg165 View Post

...isn't that way too small?? Have you used a 15" with that resolution? How was it if you did?

I have used a friend's DULL with a 15.4 screen at 1920x1200 and it is brilliant! It so depends what you want to do. We use Maya and Photoshop a lot and for these more pixels is vital. With both apps you can zoom in and out to get more detail closer up if you need 'bigger pixels'.

For reading papers as PDF it's also brilliant. You can get an overview of the full page (since 1200 is easily enough vertically to show the whole page) and then you set it to full width and you can easily read it, in super crisp text.

And even in Word if you have issues with the tiny pixels you can just zoom the page to 150% or 200% and you're fine.

Icons are a bit smaller so you have to aim a bit better to click them, but otherwise I'm all for it.

I was very close a few times to buy a Windoze machine with such a screen and just install Linux on it.

Damn Apple for being so terribly mainstream. They sell themselves as elitist but they are not. \
  • Reply 100 of 189
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:

G-- damn it!

Knock it off. Your little tirades don't belong here. Next time you post, make it something worth reading. Thanks.