MacPro Upgrade: When and what?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
My PowerMac G5 Dual 2.7GHz is slowly dying. Any idea when we can expect a MacPro upgrade and what it might look like? Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post

My PowerMac G5 Dual 2.7GHz is slowly dying. Any idea when we can expect a MacPro upgrade and what it might look like? Thanks

Anything that you get here is going to be conjecture, WAGs. It goes without saying that there will be a speed bump, but beyond that only Apple knows for sure.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    If you can wait until Q1 next year I would. We don't need Apple anymore to speculate when updates may come. Apple uses Intel processors now and so we can speculate with pretty good accuracy what quarter Apple will release new products.

In Q1 of next year Intel will release a completely new architecture code named Nehalem. It offers dramatic speed improvements and is very well detailed on the web if you care to Google it.

I would wait till then to buy if you can. Plus, around that time we'll have more info on Snow Leopard and a better idea as to when that may be released.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    When: January
  • Reply 4 of 33
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:

How does a computer "slowly die"?
  • Reply 5 of 33
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Anything that you get here is going to be conjecture, WAGs. It goes without saying that there will be a speed bump, but beyond that only Apple knows for sure.

Ah, come on now! Say it: "A speed bump to what?" Here's the current lineup below. What do you say the lineup will look like when we get the "speed bump"?

# One 2.8GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon

# Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon [Add $500.00]

# Two 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon [Add $1,300.00]

# Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon [Add $2,100.00]
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Ah, come on now! Say it: "A speed bump to what?" Here's the current lineup below. What do you say the lineup will look like when we get the "speed bump"?

# One 2.8GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon

# Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon [Add $500.00]

# Two 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon [Add $1,300.00]

# Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon [Add $2,100.00]

In January, dual Nehalem-microarchitecture Gainestown Xeon processors, which should be 2.66GHz, 2.93GHz, and 3.2GHz. Possibly a 3.33GHz model as well. A total of eight cores able to run 16 threads at once. That doesn't sound much faster, but it will be. It'll be a lot faster, and use cheaper RAM.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    The only downsize is that either some internal features or RAM slots are going to be lost unless Apple uses a deeper case. Regular DDR3 memory cannot be put on a riser card. The good news is that socket 1366 is replacing both the desktop socket 775 and xeon socket 771.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    gullivergulliver Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

If you can wait until Q1 next year I would. We don't need Apple anymore to speculate when updates may come. Apple uses Intel processors now and so we can speculate with pretty good accuracy what quarter Apple will release new products.

In Q1 of next year Intel will release a completely new architecture code named Nehalem. It offers dramatic speed improvements and is very well detailed on the web if you care to Google it.

I would wait till then to buy if you can. Plus, around that time we'll have more info on Snow Leopard and a better idea as to when that may be released.

Thanks bbwi! I also heard rumors about Q4/08, that's why I asked.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Current Intel design with the frontside bus runs out of steam with many CPUs

http://it.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=3335&p=5

Shared by 16 cores each has 600Mb/s or the same as a 1 GHz Pentium 3 on a 133 MHz bus.

About 6 months away we have a solution:

Nehalem 30-50% faster (at least!)

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=3326

As they have to change the MB totaly they may even change the case

So if you do not have to have one new now hold on tight until the next generation arrives, I am....
  • Reply 10 of 33
    auslanderauslander Posts: 183member
    Quote:

I just replaced my G5 Dual 2.5GHz (6GB RAM) last week for the same reason. It hasn't been able to handle Leopard terribly well at all - spinning beachball, constant whirring fans, big slowdowns etc. I did a number of full re-installs as well, thinking that something had got fouled up, but it never improved. Tiger ran just fine on it though.

I replaced it with a Dual 2.8 Quad Core MacPro. I also added 8GB RAM. This thing absolutely flies - I am extremely glad that I made this decision. Things have been far more productive ever since.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    An enclosure change? Interesting! I hope you're right!

While Apple's at it, how about allowing the loyal Apple customer to outfit a Mac Pro with the lower-priced desktop processors for those that don't want to start off at $2,299 for a tower? I mean Xeon is great and powerful but... a desktop quad core Core 2 Processor might do the trick too for a lot of folks. And it would stop all of the bitching for people who want a tower and don't want a mini or iMac! Maybe we could actually get a Mac tower back in $1,599 range again.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auslander View Post

I just replaced my G5 Dual 2.5GHz (6GB RAM) last week for the same reason. It hasn't been able to handle Leopard terribly well at all - spinning beachball, constant whirring fans, big slowdowns etc. I did a number of full re-installs as well, thinking that something had got fouled up, but it never improved. Tiger ran just fine on it though.

I replaced it with a Dual 2.8 Quad Core MacPro. I also added 8GB RAM. This thing absolutely flies - I am extremely glad that I made this decision. Things have been far more productive ever since.

Thats odd.I am running a last gen G5 dual 2.3 with 10gb of ram and 10.5.4 runs fine on it. Tiger of course runs fine as well.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

An enclosure change? Interesting! I hope you're right!

While Apple's at it, how about allowing the loyal Apple customer to outfit a Mac Pro with the lower-priced desktop processors for those that don't want to start off at $2,299 for a tower? I mean Xeon is great and powerful but... a desktop quad core Core 2 Processor might do the trick too for a lot of folks. And it would stop all of the bitching for people who want a tower and don't want a mini or iMac! Maybe we could actually get a Mac tower back in $1,599 range again.

It's not the processor that makes a difference in that case, it's the motherboard. Apple would have to design a second board for the Mac Pro's enclosure to offer a single-socket model that used cheaper processors.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

Thats odd.I am running a last gen G5 dual 2.3 with 10gb of ram and 10.5.4 runs fine on it. Tiger of course runs fine as well.

Well, I'm glad it's working for you. I was literally sitting watching the beachball for minutes at a time, on two different drives/installs. It just wasn't liking Leopard one bit.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:

Well, I'm glad it's working for you. I was literally sitting watching the beachball for minutes at a time, on two different drives/installs. It just wasn't liking Leopard one bit.

Hmmm, on two different drives? Weird. Im not sure what to recommend trying, maybe boot up in safe mode and see if it is a app issue. The only thing I have a possible issue with in Leopard is a weird sleep issue where it doesn't stay asleep when I set it to, it wakes right back up again in a matter of seconds. Its sporadic though so its not too much of an issue.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    No worries, Hypo - I've transferred everything onto my Mac Pro and everything is proceeding at light speed by comparison. I'm going to be putting the G5 up for sale, with Tiger installed on it.

• Reply 17 of 33
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

I suspect you had a deeper problem then. My G5 took to Leopard just fine, and I'm quite sure that most of them did because that's the experience that Apple wants its professional users to have.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

I suspect you had a deeper problem then. My G5 took to Leopard just fine, and I'm quite sure that most of them did because that's the experience that Apple wants its professional users to have.

Well, sadly that wasn't the case for me. This is my 16th Mac.

I'm a longtime professional user myself - I'm a record producer/recording engineer - and this issue made it impossible for me to do any composition work in Logic Studio, due to the aforementioned spinning beachball/howling fans etc.

I also have a Quad G5 which I run Tiger on for my Pro Tools HD rig, and that's been great. Even my now-replaced Dual G5 was fine with three PCI cards installed under Tiger, apart from the loud fans of course, which is a pain in an environment where noise needs to be kept down.

Still, as I said, I'm thrilled with the MacPro - it's handled everything perfectly, and on top of that it's really incredibly quiet - even with 4 HDs in it - so I really couldn't be happier at this point.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

The G5's can only use 8GB of ram (8 x 1GB). How are you getting 10GB?
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

The G5's can only use 8GB of ram (8 x 1GB). How are you getting 10GB?

Quite simply. The Powermac G5's can have upto 16GB of ram. Look it up, it' true! Or at least the last gen can.