New ACDs?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Any news on new Apple Cinema Displays? I think we've waited long enough. If not, what's currently out there that's comparable?

Thanks,

Kelly

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    aaquibaaquib Posts: 10member
    As usual, nope. $600 for a 20" is pathetic in this day and age. People think Mini's are due for an update...
  • Reply 3 of 11
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    As long as Apple has panels and users are willing to pay top dollar for top notch but grossly out of date displays, I don't see Apple doing anything.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

As long as Apple has panels and users are willing to pay top dollar for top notch but grossly out of date displays, I don't see Apple doing anything.

I agree, and the phrase "top notch but grossly out of date" suggests a genuine contradiction that leans toward the latter.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    They are expensive. But you can't compare them to some cheapo rubblish TN Panel which nearly ALL current 17 - 24 inch Monitor use.

ACD are IPS Panels which offer much better quality.

Can you get a 20" IPS Panel for less then $600 ? Yes. But it is apple and they tend to charge more.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Until the resolution moves above 100 dpi, I see no compelling reason for Apple to update their ACDs.

Apple could sell a line of 200 dpi monitors with fantastic margins. Every graphics professional would buy one (or more). However, Apple first need to finish Resolution Independence. Hopefully, Resolution Independence will be fully developed in time for Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sybaritic View Post

I agree, and the phrase "top notch but grossly out of date" suggests a genuine contradiction that leans toward the latter.

What I mean is that they are professional quality displays that will give you much truer color than the consumer displays found at best buy or in the iMacs. However, there are much newer professional panels out there.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

What I mean is that they are professional quality displays that will give you much truer color than the consumer displays found at best buy or in the iMacs. However, there are much newer professional panels out there.

Are those professional quality displays, that you are comparing to Apple's ACD's, more or less expensive that Apple's ACD's?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

They are expensive. But you can't compare them to some cheapo rubblish TN Panel which nearly ALL current 17 - 24 inch Monitor use.

ACD are IPS Panels which offer much better quality.

Can you get a 20" IPS Panel for less then $600 ? Yes. But it is apple and they tend to charge more.

I don't anyone is has an issue with the price. The issue is that much newer IPS panels exist with better color and a higher refresh rate. Its like trying to sell an undriven, but 5-year old BMW 5 at the same prices at the new one.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Are those professional quality displays, that you are comparing to Apple's ACD's, more or less expensive that Apple's ACD's?

Roughly same price. $400 for a 20", $700 for a 24". NEC uses IPS-type panels in most of their displays.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Apple needs to get going here. It's embarrassing. 458 since a price update...not even a spec update for Pete's sake!

I think Apple needs to make these displays height-adjustable, and like the Mac mini, find a way to incorporate that bulky power brick into the enclosure in some way.