Montevina MBP MB Speculation Thread

Comments

• Reply 101 of 189
    cg165cg165 Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikeddemus View Post

How sure are you of this 28 days?

I purchased my MBP five days ago on the 21st. That f'n sucks. No way it comes out before the 18th. Montevina doesn't come out until the 14th - - + 2 weeks means I'm SOL.

God damn it!

Yeah, I've always heard 14 days for that.

You really aren't SOL no matter what. If the new one never came out, would you still be happy with the machine you have now? Just look at what you have and be happy with what you have. Don't look at it like it sucks because something better is coming out. As long as it does everything you want it to do, then what's the problem? It's still a great machine... but if it does bother you that much, just take it back now and buy at the update... you still have time to change your mind since you didn't buy it that long ago.
  • Reply 102 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

I have used a friend's DULL with a 15.4 screen at 1920x1200 and it is brilliant! It so depends what you want to do. We use Maya and Photoshop a lot and for these more pixels is vital. With both apps you can zoom in and out to get more detail closer up if you need 'bigger pixels'.

For reading papers as PDF it's also brilliant. You can get an overview of the full page (since 1200 is easily enough vertically to show the whole page) and then you set it to full width and you can easily read it, in super crisp text.

And even in Word if you have issues with the tiny pixels you can just zoom the page to 150% or 200% and you're fine.

Icons are a bit smaller so you have to aim a bit better to click them, but otherwise I'm all for it.

I was very close a few times to buy a Windoze machine with such a screen and just install Linux on it.

Damn Apple for being so terribly mainstream. They sell themselves as elitist but they are not. \

I'm assuming when you write "DULL" you are talking about DELL? lol... anyways, that's interesting. I would think everything would be really tiny, but that is true. I guess everything does have a zoom now including web browsers by a quick ctrl + (in firefox for windows at least). I guess you could just make the icons on the desktop bigger too through settings and that about covers everything since about every program has a zoom like MS office. NOOO, don't buy a windows only machine haha... soon you'll have both, but in 1 machine :P . Oh, that brings me to another thing. When I get my MBP, I don't have another copy of windows of any kind so I'd probably have to buy it either way. So should I get VISTA for bootcamp or XP? I don't mean to change topic, just curious what you think.
  • Reply 103 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Knock it off. Your little tirades don't belong here. Next time you post, make it something worth reading. Thanks.

AppleInsider is here to serve you. If you don't feel like somebody is posting to serve your needs, please let me know and I'll ask Admin to kick them because this server was made with YOU in mind.

get a life.
  • Reply 104 of 189
    yes i am sure its 28 days. its 14 days if you dont like it or something is wrong with it and its another 14 days on top of that if something new comes out. this is what the apple store here in charlotte told me and i asked multiple times and multiple people working there and even the main person twice.
  • Reply 105 of 189
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:

AppleInsider is here to serve you. If you don't feel like somebody is posting to serve your needs, please let me know and I'll ask Admin to kick them because this server was made with YOU in mind.

get a life.

Like I said, post again when you have something worth posting and can do it in a non-offensive way. Thanks.
  • Reply 106 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Like I said, post again when you have something worth posting and can do it in a non-offensive way. Thanks.

You aren't admin.

Get a life.

Don't tell people what to do.

kthx
  • Reply 107 of 189
    zevotzevot Posts: 9member
    Quote:

You aren't admin.

Get a life.

Don't tell people what to do.

kthx

nono u dun get it... he's obviously making a joke wasnt he

he said he wanted us to write sth meaningful while he kept doin the opposite himself

gotcha man Hudson1 hvnt i

btw do u guys think DDR3 ram is gonna come with MBP for sure?

and what about the ram capacity? 2gb on lower model and 4gb on the 2 higher models?
  • Reply 108 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zevot View Post

nono u dun get it... he's obviously making a joke wasnt he

he said he wanted us to write sth meaningful while he kept doin the opposite himself

gotcha man Hudson1 hvnt i

btw do u guys think DDR3 ram is gonna come with MBP for sure?

and what about the ram capacity? 2gb on lower model and 4gb on the 2 higher models?

Well, nobody knows for sure...it's all rumors at this point (and nobody will truly know until they are released). BUT...it's rumored to have:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrino

(scroll to about the middle of the page under where it says "Montevina Platform 2008")

All of the current models (Macbooks and Macbook Pro's) support 4gb DDR2 RAM right now. RAM capacity is rumored to go to 8gb, but I think it will be 4gb of DDR3.
  • Reply 109 of 189
    zevotzevot Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cg165 View Post

Well, nobody knows for sure...it's all rumors at this point (and nobody will truly know until they are released). BUT...

thanks for the link, but i read that quite a few months ago

my bad.... i shudnt hv used the term capacity...if that means the maximum it can support

i simply meant that what would be a reasonable amount and type of ram they would include in the first place, so anyone knows the cost and stuff?

anyway, i know these are just speculation but i m lookin for ones that are supported by facts n knowledge,

also the wait is just seemingly too long that i and other ppl ve got obsessed and cant help but fantasising all the time (and i hv got so much time to spare cuz i m a college student in holiday)
  • Reply 110 of 189
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

You should check out a program called "SMC Fan Control".

I have it, but it does not help much - it just spins your fans up to max (6K rpm) a little faster (they get there as soon as you ask instead of after 5 minutes of play), and then the processor still overheats.
  • Reply 111 of 189
    ok i know these are all rumors but.... post what do you think the chances of this happening before mid august.
  • Reply 112 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidson1153 View Post

ok i know these are all rumors but.... post what do you think the chances of this happening before mid august.

Based on nothing more than reasonable logic, I would say chances are 90% that something will happen before mid-August, and 98% before September 1. Remember, Montevina comes out on July 14. I have no doubt that Apple has an updated MBP (based on specs of the processors and prototypes) waiting for shipping quantities of chips. If we don't hear of a special event or see a refresh by mid-August, then you can start to get scared. I know I will be. I'm getting a MBP before September 15, regardless of update, because I want the iPod touch too. But I'm going to hold out until the last minute if they don't update because I believe something is coming this summer, definitely before Sept.

--mAc
  • Reply 113 of 189
    alxthsalxths Posts: 8member
    Just to clarify, this is all regarding MBP's.

Well the current penryns were released a month or so after they were released. I'm not sure how much that had to do with supply problems or what, but one thing I can say is that the penryn update didn't make that big a mark on the specs page for apple's notebooks. Compare that with the next update, where competing laptop sellers will be advertising the 1066 MHz bus along with in some cases a substantially increased clockspeed (2.8GHz). That may be enough to get apple bring out this update as soon as possible to be as competitive as possible during the back-to-school buying season.

What would be nice is if we could have a table of all the past mobile processor launch dates with the dates on which apple and their competitors made them available for PURCHASE.

edit:

Ok I just did a bit of research and it looks like apple generally ships new laptops about a month and a bit after intel's launch. One notable example is the C2D, which intel launched at the very end of August and apple didn't ship in notebooks until October 24th. The trend over the past few years makes me think the end of August is a pretty good guess.

Core Duo (intel launch) Jan. 10, 2006 -- Apple started shipping them about 2 weeks into Feb.

Core 2 Duo (intel launch) Aug. 28, 2006 -- Apple started shipping them on Oct. 24th

Santa Rosa (intel's launch) May 9, 2007 -- Apple started shipping on June 5th

Penryn (intel launch) Jan. 2008 sometime -- Apple shipped at the end of February.

I probably got a couple dates wrong give or take a week or two, I just did a quick google search for them. Nevertheless, that should be enough to show that a July or early August release is very unlikely...
  • Reply 114 of 189
    I don't think Apple will update both the Macbook and MBP simultaneously. I think one of them will be updated relatively soon after the new processors drop, and the other a month or two later. The MBA will be due for an update, too, last of the three.

edit:

That might be a research subject for someone more bored than I am: has Apple ever updated both of its notebook lines simultaneously?
  • Reply 115 of 189
    hfuhfu Posts: 55member
    Regardless Intel's launch date, Apple hasn't shifted its 8~9 month release cycle on each new 15" MBP launch since the last 2 years. If we follow the same pattern, Apple will start shipping Montevina MBP in the beginning of October 08. There "may" be a simultaneous release with MB since Apple has done that in past with Penryn update on February 2008.

It's likely Apple may release MBA ahead of MBP and MB release to stay among "thin and light weight" model competition after Intel officially announced SFF Montevina chip. MBA refresh will likely to take place in September 2008 following the 8~9 month Apple release cycle.
  • Reply 116 of 189
    iextremeiextreme Posts: 22member
    That's funny!

I remember 3 years ago when I bought my PowerBook for University, using my discount. I did it via the Applestore on the phone as it was my first time buying a Mac and I chatted to this lady several times as we decided what to purchase etc. I also bought an iPod, AirPort, Software, etc. All in all, about 3k. 2-3 days later, the College discount (get a free iPod with your new Mac) kicked in with no warning. I called them back several times and they refused to even give me a voucher for more purchase at the Applestore.

Granted, they might have changed policy since then, but I was so pissed off. That iPod discount was quite a lot of lost money for me back then.
  • Reply 117 of 189
    I was planning on buying a black macbook 2.4 ghz w/ 2 gb ram for $1397 from macmall... :

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...k&dpno=7404924

but I'd prefer better graphics card which will hopefully be included with the update. I'm wondering what I should expect to pay for an updated version of the one I was planning on buying?...also does anyone think the price of the current macbooks will drop when the new ones come out?
  • Reply 118 of 189
    [QUOTE=homelessfrog;1272141]I was planning on buying a black macbook 2.4 ghz w/ 2 gb ram for $1397 from macmall... :

oops, I meant $1379
  • Reply 119 of 189
    alxthsalxths Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HFU View Post

Regardless Intel's launch date, Apple hasn't shifted its 8~9 month release cycle on each new 15" MBP launch since the last 2 years. If we follow the same pattern, Apple will start shipping Montevina MBP in the beginning of October 08. There "may" be a simultaneous release with MB since Apple has done that in past with Penryn update on February 2008.

cycle.

This is true, but if you look at the macrumors buyer's guide, you'll see the only time when they seem to break the regular cycle of updates is when they introduce a redesign. In these cases, updates seem to come earlier than expected.

Nevertheless you do bring up a good reason not to be surprised at an october update :s
  • Reply 120 of 189
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crocodile View Post

I think that many buyers simply want a MacBook Air with a DVD drive, all the necessary ports, and a decent GPU - think MacBook Pro 13".

I don't care about an optical drive. That can remain external as with my current MacBook Air. I've used the optical drive only once. My ideal would be a MacBook Air Pro with 13" 2560x1600 resolution, low-power GPU, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Montevina, and a slightly faster CPU.

Quote:

I think it would be interesting to have that high of a resolution on a 15", but I'm curious...isn't that way too small?? Have you used a 15" with that resolution? How was it if you did? I'm just curious, I would think the text/everything would be unbelievably tiny.

Resolution Independence!